Posts by Ibot39

This Ruben guy records all the Kemper profiles via monitors, I think!? So what you hear in the video is captured from a mic in the room - it is the sound of the specific studio monitors in that specific room and coloured by a mic! You can not compare this to the signal recorded to a DAW. Please correct me if I am wrong guys!

EDIT: In the video is a short part, where a mic signal was mixed in by mistake.

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure I was allowed to post that stuff so I am glad Syntec has done it! I have access to some pretty amazing amps so once the first 4-5 are done I'll have some pretty unique profiles coming up! :)
    Cheers,
    Shane

Thanks for the profiles!!! The DSL40CR is a cool amp (the Celestion V-type speaker as stock is nice). I am looking forward to what comes next :thumbup:
    It would be great, if future rigs have correct tags - for example it just "feels" strange to me playing a rig with wrong "names" for the cab, amp.... Such profiles only feel right for me after I have changed the tags. I know, this "problem" is only in my head :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for the update!

One thing just for info: The profile "51666 CHAINSAW8 2CABS - 2018-10-02 22-24-09.kipr" is twice in the pack. The identical profile is in the folder "51666 CHAINSAW STUDIO ONLY" and the folder "51666 CHAINSAW 1 to 5-7-8 + NAILS"

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The best 36 minutes one can spend to get totally carried away and forget the world outside...

Really? I don't want paint it black, but realistically this won't happen in the near future. Maybe next beta with all the reverbs in october / november? Being "out of beta" somewhere in 2019?
    I don't know of course, but I do not expect an earlier release. Do you?

i do

That was in July - holy sh*t, time goes by fast :D
    If the reverbs come out this friday - well, we can say it's "earlier than october" and you "win" ;) (we ALL win in this case :thumbup: )

If not - I hate that I was right with the prediction...
    It's time for the reverbs and your new AC30 pack!

All true @paults and @Rod Staples :thumbup:

But... the Celestion IR live up to the hype and they do sound similarly good as the Kemper cabs. Not better, but a bit different and really good. For example I use the celestion V type 2x12 open back IRs a lot - also converted. But again, the converted react and sound slightly different. I often use IR with Kemper into Two Notes Torpedo cab (wait for the new firmware / IR length update here) or a vst IR loader (than with an USB 3 interface to maintain low latency).

So Steve Stevens send the output of the Kemper on a 2 Notes torpedo (like this: https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-live) and add some Celestion IR ... (like this : https://www.celestionplus.com/ )then to the board. And that sounds better than the kemper directly to the board right?

That's how he described it. I don't think that it sounds better than Kemper alone. But two things: If you WANT to use IR (and not Kemper cab) and want the most authentic result you need an impulse loader. The converted IR to Kemper cab via Cab Maker is not exactly the same.

Second: Maybe he uses the Celestion profiles because it is very easy to work with and find the sound you have in mind. You have options of well known speakers in different cabs, superb miced and all is perfectly organized and named right from the start. The different packs are all built up comparable and the IR are quickly loaded, ready for testing. They sound, as you would expect them to sound (for example if you need greenbacks in a 2x12 cab miced with a sm57 you'll get that in seconds - from there you can "change" mics, try open or closed back... very easy to work that way).

If you want to use impulse responses, integrating a hardware or vst impulse loader will give you a more authentic reproduction of IR than you can achieve with converted IR in the Kemper (using Cabmaker). Not saying that the converted cabs sound bad, but they sound and react different.

For example Steve Stevens explains in an interview that he uses the Kemper into Two Notes Torpedo loaded with Celestion IR.

I like using some IR (especially from Celestion), but most of the time Kemper cabs are the best and most natural sounding solution.

By the way, you can already find some converted Celestion IR in your Kemper cab presets.

Talking about Kemper profiles is talking about the whole signal chain. You can not necessarily compare amp settings from an "amp in the room tone" to amp settings of a miced up tone (maybe dual miced with colouring of preamps or another cab / speaker model / mic technique used).

Often the sweetspots on a certain cab are almost the same with different amps and to get the best result one has to turn the amp eq - or use a different voiced mic or combination of mics. Just want to say amp setting alone is good to know for direct amp profiles (to get an idea), but gets less important as more gear of the signal chain colours the sound.

You guys know, I love commercial profiles as well - for various reasons. But what is great with RE (in addition that it is free): You not only get the most common and "cream of the cream" amps - here on RE you also can find a lot of cheaper amps that you have used and already know. And profiles of not so well known amps too (which probably would not sell as good as the next pack of a Mesa Boogie Rectifier).

And the Kemper offers new possibilities to use and tweak (for example) profiles of "cheap" and low watt amps. Just love it!

just be aware that these graphs pretty much always were made with quite a bit of smoothing.

That is correct. Everything DonPeterson did mention in his posts is correctI I didn't want to delve deeper into the material, but just wanted to point out, that there are possible dips and peaks and you can get an idea about it.

And give an additional view...

The best studio monitors don't help if you do not pay attention to the circumstances, room placement, room treatement... Even the pro studios don't get completely "flat response" - closer than us, but not perfect (comb filters by floor and desk reflection does not stop in a pro studio).

In my opinion it is much more important to work with monitors / speakers / interfaces... that corresponds with your personal taste. I mean when listening to your reference tracks and music you love, there should be a balance between possibility of analytic hearing and feeling good with it. Monitors that I know well and I feel fine with (with reference tracks) can lead to better results than monitors where I try to iron out a certain frequency all the time, cause it is not to my taste. Hope I could make clear what I want to say :rolleyes: Perfectly flat monitors (and totally flat room...) are not necessarly needed to get good results.

I'm still on a tennis racket. :S

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for your answer, I understand that. I have to limit volume due to neighbours anyway, so I hope this will never become a problem. I would move to headphones for very loud volumes.As far as the quality of the sound goes, though, this should not be inferior to a linear monitor, right? I don't see why it would.

You can google the datasheet of your hifi, read tests and look to graphics to get an idea how linear your system really is. Most of the hifi stereo systems and speakers colour the sound to "please" the consumers ear and are not suitable for analytical listening.

BUT: There are a few systems that come with a rather neutral power amplifier and linear speakers. For example I had the possibility of a direct comparison of a few studio monitors (and headphones like SRH840) to old Yamaha Pianocraft speakers (NX-E series). I sold my Yamaha HS 5, my son is using the Presonus Eris studio monitors and I left my Yamaha HS 80M to my father, because I can work best with the "Hifi" speakers (plus subwoofer). Reading the data-sheets and the reviews of them confirm, that these speakers are exemplarly linear with a useful frequency range from 55 hz - 28.000 hz. I don't connect the Kemper directly, but I wanted to let you know: There are people using hifi gear :thumbup:

And it's not because I could not afford other monitors - I buy guitars n' gear all the time. I buy profiles for fun and have spend more money on that, than "decent studio monitors" will cost. Sometimes I compare my recordings on the Presonus monitors or with headphones, but I work with my Pianocraft speakers.

@ ashtweth, is this 1960AV cab from a specific pack? I have a couple of packs from Lars so maybe I`m lucky.

Lars uses the same cab (part) in more than one pack. Actually he just makes direct amp profiles sometimes and only copies already existing cab parts. So not all rigs here are "truly merged" rigs.

I remember Lars saying, that he thinks copying existing caps (from another amp profiling session) sounds close enough for him (instead of doing the same sweetspot micing with the actual amp for every single new profile).

You can check this and also find out which cabs (with the same names /tags) are indeed different, as follows: Just lock EVERYTHING except the cab. Then scroll through the rigs (which share the same cab name). If it sounds exactly the same (even from another pack), than it IS the same cab. Also have a look at the mic tags - here you may have information about differences too.