need help setting up your Wah in the Profiler? do you own a rare Wah? let me know.

• Thanks for the link Dahla.

That's pretty much how I recorded the wah at toe and heel position.
    In the apogee Maestro2 mixer, I've set the outputs to line level (-10db), I don't use software monitoring in Logic, I use instead the apogee mixer monitoring to avoid any feedback.

• you don't really need a Output asigned to the track that records the white noise coming from the wah.
    I still think this signal gets send out again (into the wah) causing this problem.

I'd set the Output for the track recording the wah to 'No Output' or similar...
    ... I haven't used Logic since their move to exclusively Mac ;)

• got the famous Whipple inductor.
    I'll mod the Crybaby again.
    so far, I only got one offer and a lot of requests.
    I guess that means people are happy with the Wah (presets) as is. :)

Hi Don,

Do you have any recommended settings for a wah that will cut through high gain, in the upper fretboard frequencies? It seems like most that I try, usually start losing their effect (drastically) around the 12th-14th fret on the high e and b strings. Looking for a wah that has a throaty low end but can handle those difficult upper registers too without losing all effect.

• Hi Don,

Do you have any recommended settings for a wah that will cut through high gain, in the upper fretboard frequencies? It seems like most that I try, usually start losing their effect (drastically) around the 12th-14th fret on the high e and b strings. Looking for a wah that has a throaty low end but can handle those difficult upper registers too without losing all effect.

Hi OhG. I use settings live quite similar to how Kirk has his rack wah setup, quite extreme range with a deep bassy starting point right through to a high end that goes beyond most standard wahs are capable of reaching with such a low heel position starting point sound.

I'm at work now but when I'm home I'll get my settings for you and that should work as a starting point for the sound you are after. I know if you set the pedal range too high (usually after around 40%) you will loose the wah effect and it will become really thin toe down when aiming for this type of range Kirk uses live since around '95 onwards.

I dug out my Crybaby 535-Q as a starting point and tried to match the tone and frequency of the heel down sound in the lowest selector position with the variable Q up full and then with the selector switch in the highest tone position and tried to match that to the toe down position so my custom Kemper wah range starts from the deepest to the highest possible from the 535-Q wah although obviously even the 535-Q can't do this as it would need to also travel through the 6 selector modes to reach that level of range.

Off the top of my head though to get somewhere near Kirk's type of wah you need to be quite low on the manual for the deep starting heel down position around 2.8 to 3.2, with a moderately high peak setting of around 7.0 to 9.0 and I use the expression pedals on the Behringer FCB1010 as my wah I find a pedal range of around +38 to +40 about right for that amount of sweep, this will change depending on your expression pedal I'd imagine as the FCG1010 has quite a lot of travel compared to a CryBaby. Peak range should be somewhere around -25 I think. Mix I feel around 95% or so feels sounds and feels closest to a real wah to me, you could dial a touch more in say 90% if you feel the notes are still losing definition like you have been experiencing.

I'll check those settings for you and get back tonight.

• Thanks man! I'll give those settings a try. The 535Q is actually what I'm using now, with my tube amp setup. But I'd like to be able to eliminate that when I switch over to Kemper (it'd be one less long cord to run).

• This is great guys ! I wish we had the same possibilities with dist and drive pedals

There are too many variables with a distortion circuit for a sine wave to work, but: There is a feature request to add an advanced Distortion, with many deep parameters. Find that post, and get to back on the front page - it would get plenty of "+1"s, I think.

• Thanks man! I'll give those settings a try. The 535Q is actually what I'm using now, with my tube amp setup. But I'd like to be able to eliminate that when I switch over to Kemper (it'd be one less long cord to run).

Right here are the settings I've been using for that extreme Kirk style wah.

Manual: 2.3
    Peak 8.5
    Pedal Range: +40%
    Peak Range: -25%
    I use bypass at heel as I use a Behringer FCB1010
    Mix 94%
    Ducking: 0.0
    Volume 0.0

Some tips;

• If you use quite a bit bass in your tone, you may be using more than me as I favour hot rodded Marshall Plexi tones try increasing the manual level so you don't end up with an almost a fundamental bass note in the lowest wah position. Increasing the manual also extends how far up the top range you can go, think of manual as the start frequency range of the wah.
    • If you increase the peak more you will get an even more pronounced modern wah effect in the higher/treble positions, lower to reduce the effect and to go more in the direction of traditional wah sounds.
    • If you find its still losing the tone and sounding thin as you have mentioned try reducing the pedal range below +40% to say 35% or 30% that will bring more "guitar" to the tone
  • I did this, since I only have 2 outputs on my interface:

White noise in track, sent to Output 1 (not 1/2 - mono)
    Send Output 1 to, instead of a monitor, the wah
    Send the wah's output to an input
    Record the input on a new track, output sent to Output 2

This prevents a feedback loop, allows you to monitor, and worked out well.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Thx Doug,

I managed to fix my loop issue by selecting no output in the recorded track.
    I encountered the loop issue before when I left the output to OUT 1/2 I believe.

I sent my files to Don, they sound good now.

• I am (as ever) painfully late to the party but I'd just like to say a big 'thank you' to Don and everyone else on this thread. It's fantastic.

I have a Whipple modified wah here and it was great to find the Whipple preset. I've not a/b'd the Kemper version with my own yet and now won't get chance to for a few days but I will say that the preset made me smile a great deal - whether it's exact or not I can't say yet but I really, really like it and that's the main thing :)

I'll try some of the others when I get back in front of my Kemper in a few days :)

• Just teach us how to do it Don!!

Do you match heel and toe positions by ear or use a spectrum analyzer?

I like to use white noise (file in first post), since it is a more consistent signal than any guitar playing.
    I match the heel and toe positions and then the reduction of resonance seemingly all wah pedals have in the high register. I mostly use my ears, but also use a spectrum analyser to confirm.

• I like to use white noise (file in first post), since it is a more consistent signal than any guitar playing.
    I match the heel and toe positions and then the reduction of resonance seemingly all wah pedals have in the high register. I mostly use my ears, but also use a spectrum analyser to confirm.

How does the reduction of resonance relate to the parameters in the wah stomp, out of interest? Which values are you tweaking? Love this thread! :)