Making-of Michael Wagener Signature Rig Pack

• Don - Out of curiosity, is The Sentinel just a passive A/B/C/D/etc, or is it like those Tonebone pedals that can switch amps while they're on and hook them up to a dummy load?

Hey guys

Michael Wagener here. Just wanted to chime in.

First off, we had a great time working on these profiles with Don, could have not done it without him. I also want to shoot out a big "THANK YOU" to my engineer Gena Johnson, who did a great job on setting everything up with me, keeping track of all the profiles in the Rig manager and keeping me sane, all at the same time, Gena rocks!!!

The SENTINEL is a 2 in 20 out active/transformer-less switcher, made as a special one-off for me by Creation Audio Labs (http://creationaudiolabs.com/mw1studiotool/). I developed the MW-1 (!) studio tool wit Creation Audio Labs, a wonderful DI/Real-amp box (also without a transformer, it unanimously wins every single blind DI box comparison I do during my workshops at WireWorld, check it out here: http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mw1studiotool). I don't record any guitars or bass without it, ever. So, I asked the guys at Creation to build me a switcher to access all my amps (or most of them) very quickly with a push of a button and also be able to switch polarity and ground source for each output. A guitar player has to fin HIS sound, but in the studio I have to find EVERYBODY's sound as quick as I can, so the SENTINEL helps me to switch between all those amps very quickly and to listen from the control room. It switches the amp inputs, not the speaker outputs. Like I said it has no transformers, so it does not color the sound, this thing is absolutely neutral. Creation is working on a commercial version of the Sentinel.

The setup you see is what I normally use during a recording project as well. We set up all the cabs with mics, so they are available for recording at any time. That does not mean that ALL the mics are used at the same time, even though they are ALL phase aligned and could be used together. I can switch which cab goes with which amp from the control room as well, using a Speakon patchbay, and though the combinations seem endless, I have found that certain cabs work better with certain amps, call it experience :rolleyes:

In recent projects I have used the Kemper on about 90% of the tracks, and only when I need something "special", that has not been profiled before, I switch on the amps. The KPA is THE best thing walking into my studio in the last 15 years, hands down!

A few more notes: I take the grill off all my cabs (except for the Jake E Lee cab from the Ozzy tour, like to keep that complete) so I can position the microphones closer to the speaker, and also so I can see the speaker without a flashlight. The Royer R-121 is my favorite mic for electric guitar, going through the Chandler Limited TG-2 mic pre at the 300 Ohm setting. Even though the R-121 can totally take the sound pressure coming from the speakers (and there is a lot of it!), it is better to keep it on a 45 degree angle to the speaker, so the air does not hit the mic straight on, but "runs down" the ribbon. I have never had a R-121 go down because of sound pressure, but it is totally possible to damage a ribbon mic just by just closing it's box too fast. I combine the R-121 with a LDC, mostly the ADK C-LOL series (http://hybridmic.adkmic.com/) and mix those two together to one track (or profile).

Hope this helps clearing up some of your questions. I am sure Don will post more pictures soon.

Cheers
    Michael

• Thank you for all these infos. I would kill to get Mesa Boogie MarkIIc+ profiles from you !!

Djemass

• Agreed - you guys are complete BEASTS. It's amazing that the Mr. Wagener himself is an absolute fan of the Kemper. That alone should be endorsement enough to all of the people on the fence out there.

Can't wait to try these profiles!

• In recent projects I have used the Kemper on about 90% of the tracks, and only when I need something "special", that has not been profiled before, I switch on the amps. The KPA is THE best thing walking into my studio in the last 15 years, hands down!

The Kemper is AWESOME!!! :thumbup:

Gettin' funky up in here..

• In recent projects I have used the Kemper on about 90% of the tracks, and only when I need something "special", that has not been profiled before, I switch on the amps. The KPA is THE best thing walking into my studio in the last 15 years, hands down!

This is a wonderful and balanced statement.
    Should be a sticky for all the people who consider Kemper users fanboys. :)

• Guess The Amp!

this one is quite hard to figure out.
    saying that it is a fantastic amp and a great addition to the pool of available profiles won't help much, I know. to my knowledge, there hasn't been a profile of this manufacturer available in the Rig Exchange or earlier Rig Packs.
    [Blocked Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/donelectro/MW1_3200blog04_zps7660b9a8.jpg]

and here it is:
    the Wizard MC25 amp :)

[Blocked Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/donelectro/MW1_3172blog08_zps17569783.jpg]

• Everybody sing: We're off to HEAR the Wizard! :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:)

• OK I chime in. It's an older picture, the left side looks slightly different now.

mw... THAT's an INSANE wall!!!!!! Man.. I need to come to Nashville and hang out a bit...

& Don.. I'm getting toasty just looking at the tube shot man..

.... so like... I KNOW you guys had to record bit of these amps while you profiled them.. just had too... wouldn't be right if ya didn't... sooooo... time to give up some noise, don't ya think :?::?::?: just a couple of teaser samples??? :thumbup::thumbup:8o

Gettin' funky up in here..