New Kemper user/ high gain Djent, practise and live problems

• So i bought a kemper about a week ago and i have some problems with it. I have managed to get a decent sound out of it using Nollys and Mishas rythm rig (both from Axe-FX) and i've noticed some room sound or "cab in the room" sound that bothers me. It sounds like it's missing something and my band mates noticed some really minor latency. I tried to work it out with stomp EQ but it's not helping. Is there something that i can do to fix that? Is it all in the downloaded rig or just a basic function of the kemper that effects all the high gain profiles? I'm coming from a Line6 pod hd pro x so this is a completely new issue for me.

EDIT: With Room sound and "cab in the room" i mean this overpowering bass frequence "ooomph" that cuts thru the sound.

I tried some Sinmix profiles but for some reason i can't achieve a good tone with them. These profiles aren't probably meant for tight Drop G/Drop F stuff.

I'm using my Matrix gtx800fx power amp, Hughes & Kettner 4x12 cab and a Line6 wireless. I have the cab turned of from the kemper.

There's also a problem with noise gates and using the kemper in practise volume, i have the volume knob set to 0.0 to avoid output clipping and i have to crank my power amp really high to achieve right volume. The "knob" noise gate is set to about 7.5 and i have two 4:1 stomps set to 9.0 each and i still have some noise coming between heavy palmutes and "teh Djent" stuff. My gain is about noon and i have a Green Scream
    stomp with 0.0 gain.

Hope you get an idea of what i'm saying, i'm Finnish :)

• I would just try a different profile if those don't work for you. There are plenty more in the rig exchange.

As far as the noise gates go, I personally just use the 4:1 gate in stomp A and set the threshold to taste. That should be enough to get a tight/clean sound. No need to use the Noise Gate knob, which I don't like btw, or even a second gate. Perhaps lower the gain on either, or both, the amp and the tube screamer? Or, like I said before, try a different profile.

I know this sounds intuitive, but the Kemper is all about the profile. It's really that simple. And then you have the subjectivity of tone, which makes it hard to tackle without being there with you to hell you achieve the sound you want. Maybe post a clip of a track that has a tone you like. That would give people trying to help a better idea of what you're looking for.

Apologies if I'm not being very helpful :-).

• The profile is the key and I would also recommend to start there..

I can recommend the Tonehammer profiles - I find the Sinmix profiles much to dark and muddy to my taste. At the moment I'm in love with the profiles based on the EVH 5150III 50 watt - many of those profiles have a nice punch and tight sound for stacatto riffs...

Origin Audio made some profiles of the PRS Archon which are quite nice..

• For the style of music and tone you are going for, there are literally thousands of excellent profiles out there, many of them free. I have had a lot of success with Sinmix, Choptones, Origin Audio, 3 Sigma, Tonehammer, and CiliLab profiles. For straight up rock and pop I dig Michael Britt's stuff immensely.

Seriously there are just so many awesome profiles you will find what you need if you keep looking.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Thanks for the answers and tips! Today i switched from the bulb rhythm profile to a Sinmix 5153 and i got that to work really well. I found out that the noise gates bite lot better to the sinmix profiles so that problem is also solved for now. I guess there's something weird going on in the axe-fx profiles that i've used. Looks like kemper is staying :)

Just took look at the tonehammer profiles, definetely giving those a go.

• Try the PRS amps from Choptones/Origin Audio,
    Chops preset 95 Djent
    Origin try a few of them , they are great.

there are a few 8 string studio profiles from Choptones in the Mesa pack.
    mesa duel 3CH 6l6
    114/116 57-lead (8 string)

Tonehammer will have a few for you,, and CiliLab profiles.
    Sin;s Bash amp is perfect for that. I got some okay Djent sounds from Reamp zones Kraken (victory amp).

You playing a 7 string?

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Go for SinMix Satan Pack (it's cheap), bought it and they're the best profiles I have found so far for very gainy stuff with 7 and 8 guitars. Tightness and bigness assured.

Little sample of Satan profile in Ibanez 7 string with dimarzio EVO bridge pickup (my band promo video hehe :) )
    https://youtu.be/KKNceku3-p4?t=29s

On the noise side... that's more difficult to sort, depends a lot on the profile, but also in your guitar PUs... I've been long fightning this problem too, in high gain low tuned palm mutes specially, which are the ones affected worse by noise, and I think that there's no miracle cure aside from asuring that your guitar wiring/shielding is allright, and cranking the kemper gate to around 7. You will always have a remnant of the noise in the palm mute decays, but I think that they are at an acceptable low level most of the time.

• You playing a 7 string?

I do, i'm playing Skervesen Raptor 7 with BKP aftermath bridge pickup. Just purchased Tonehammers 6534+ pack and im trying that out tomorrow. I got the idea that tonehammer has put some thought into live use aswell, so i can't wait to check those out.

• If you want DJENT use my kraken profiles from my store, it'll do it.. easily! you'll get the single note definition and clarity that you need for that stuff plus with the high gain madness inbetween.

• Yes and the 6534+

InChoptones 6534+
    here are the heavy /Djent presets
    1, 31, 32 ( for an 8 String)

Give tonehamars a go (go through all of them, ) The 6534+
    PRS, BASH amp and Kraken are the best so far IMO
    9 string and 7 string.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Welcome, aleksivii!

So glad you're starting to find tones you like, man.

my band mates noticed some really minor latency

Considering that you came from a POD HD (I did too), I find this incredible 'cause the latency on that thing broke my balls for 3 years; I couldn't stand it and it affected my playing. As soon as I plugged into the Kemper, I couldn't hear / feel any latency whatsoever.

Also, I can't imagine how your band mates could've detected this latency. Surely they'd have to be playing your rig in order to be able to feel it? Unless, of course, it sounded to them like you were playing behind the beat. If this is the case, I still find it strange because musicians generally compensate subconsciously for latency by playing a little earlier.

I'm hoping that now that you've found profiles that you're more comfortable with, you no longer feel there's any latency and that it might have had something to do with how those particular ones you first tried responded to your playing. Perhaps their attacks were a little "spongey" (slow) and this gave you the impression they were reacting late.

Just for good measure, it might be an idea to make sure you have "Constant Latency" turned OFF; this will buy you a millisecond or more for most Rigs unless, and I'm just guessing here, you're employing a large number of stomp and FX slots.

Hope this helps aleksivii.

• I do, i'm playing Skervesen Raptor 7 with BKP aftermath bridge pickup. Just purchased Tonehammers 6534+ pack and im trying that out tomorrow. I got the idea that tonehammer has put some thought into live use aswell, so i can't wait to check those out.

GREAT,, knew would like those, you prob like the PRS from Chops, BASH amp from Sin, and Kraken from Reamp.
    When you get their sweet spots and multi-track them you will get a unique sound.

Ash

• Looks like kemper is staying

Hi & welcome.

Do yourself a favor and give the KPA some time. I was struggling in the beginning, too, so were others. Besides the huge difference a single profile can make, the KPA has to be adjusted to the guitar, the pickups and - to me at least a very significant factor - the playing style. I had been using the POD HD for some time and when I hit the strings hard, that thing would reach some kind of limit in terms of amp response. I don't want to bash the POD in any way, but the KPA is a different animal hence more complex to master. Take use of the parameters in the stack section as they do a lot. While the POD mostly had one sound to one amp, the KPA can vary vastly within one profile.

Since the thread has been moved to 3.party Rd:
    For the djent thing (as for higain in general) I got best results using Guidorists profiles, as I feel the key to this is clarity more than over the top distortion and Guido excels in that. Maybe have a look at his XTC which gets a lot of love here on the forum. I use MBritt for lowgain stuff just to name another ^^ . Cheers

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I was having this exact problem! With the huge bass etc. What sorted it for me, was to go into output, make sure it was in master mono, UNLINK the direct out/monitor etc from the master volume knob, and set the direct volume to -15db. Then connect via direct out etc. After I did that, the profiles just totally came alive and the bassiness went away completely.

• ...."teh Djent" stuff...

Since I realize we're speaking the same language musically. .. must have: tonehammer's OS pack, lenny, 6534. ORiGIN's Archon and Uber (THE best around), MentaL's Kraken.
    I don't like sinmix's stuff either but the ones mentioned above are a MUST have for djent. Also consider using a nice physical OD in front of the kpa with the drive all the way to zero and also try reducing the gain/drive of any given profile a notch (depending on your guitar among a few other things). I got baritones,8strings and 9string and I am very pleased.