For millionth time... Why is Kemper profiles so trebly/fizzy??

• well imo the body rez doesn' help soo much to get closer to the orignial but it is helping making the sounds more "natural" or "real" it is hard to explain, mybe you know what i mean ? it doesn't sound more like my victory kraken but less digital/cold/static

Yea, I get it. For me goal is more to match original, so I'd be using it for that purpose.

I also wanna see ability to profile multiple stages, but personally even more interested in profiling of single stage tones bridging existing gap.

• I think aliasing is a good word to describe some of what's happening in the top end of certain profiles. There's a subtle garble at times whereas the reference amp sounds clean and smooth. One thing I often hear is a small discrepancy (approx. 1dB) in the level of the profile vs. the reference amp. The level discrepancy can exaggerate bottom and top end differences. Of course I'd like to see these remedied eventually by the KPA team, but until then my best advice is to raise the level of the profile by approx. 1dB and add a studio EQ to introduce some of the low-end back into the signal. The Q of the bass control is too wide to be useful for this purpose.

• Are you converting the IR and loading into kemper?

I did it with redwirez and ownhammer IRs.
    Selected various cabinets, mic combinations and placements to my taste and imported them via cabmaker.
    Worked awesome and gave me new choices of tailoring tone.

You can even combine IRs with redwirez software.

• This was quoted from a recent write up from Devin Townsend, and seems he has the same issue thats been reported time and time again here.....

Devin Townsend is a paid endorser of the AXE FX II. So whatever he says, with all due respect to him and any endorser, should and can safely be considered meaningless marketing by those who want to hear and test for themselves. The question would be: If Kemper didn't sound to him like his Mesa at least, with the Kemper, he can isolate and identify the difference. little as it may be but with the AXE FX Helix or any other modeling product for that matter, there's absolutely nothing to compare to as Fractal or Line 6 don't even have pictures of the amps that they say they modeled!!

My guess is for obvious reasons. If we here are talking about the small differences between the profile and the real amp, imagine the customers' shock when and if Fractal or Line 6 were to ever release a video showing and playing only one of the amp they modeled or allow a third party to test their accuracy as publicly wide open testing of the Kemper by anyone is a daily occurance.

The differences would be so staggering that they would have to completely revamp their marketing about using the term "accurately modeled". Actually Devin Townsend, to his credit, states in his videos that he uses the AXE fx as and experimental device as a base sound and not as a depiction or modeling of any amp.

• Devin Townsend is a paid endorser of the AXE FX II. So whatever he says, with all due respect to him and any endorser, should and can safely be considered meaningless marketing by those who want to hear and test for themselves. The question would be: If Kemper didn't sound to him like his Mesa at least, with the Kemper, he can isolate and identify the difference. little as it may be but with the AXE FX Helix or any other modeling product for that matter, there's absolutely nothing to compare to as Fractal or Line 6 don't even have pictures of the amps that they say they modeled!!
    My guess is for obvious reasons. If we here are talking about the small differences between the profile and the real amp, imagine the customers' shock when and if Fractal or Line 6 were to ever release a video showing and playing only one of the amp they modeled or allow a third party to test their accuracy as publicly wide open testing of the Kemper by anyone is a daily occurance.

The differences would be so staggering that they would have to completely revamp their marketing about using the term "accurately modeled". Actually Devin Townsend, to his credit, states in his videos that he uses the AXE fx as and experimental device as a base sound and not as a depiction or modeling of any amp.

He used kemper for quite a time now for his gain tones even when he had relationship with fractal. I wouldn't know if it wasn't for people showing me that as evidence that kemper is better than fractal, ect, ect. But I agree with you that who "says" what, even big names, shouldn't really be what is important. Test should matter. I agree with what Townsend says here, not because he's Townsend, personally, but because my experience is similar with kemper in particular, not talking about his axe experience. But I know he is very very exact about his tone and how these small differences can matter to him. This shouldn't be taken to mean that just because they matter to him they do and should matter to everybody... of course.

• To me it was the fact he brought up the same conversation here that kemper lacks in the low end and low mid on profiling, I could care less about kemper vs fractal but it shows the kemper team has work to do to perfect what separates the kemper from other products

• We should all show measured skepticism towards professional endorsers and what they say, though it’s quite funny to read here how we should be skeptical of any KPA critiques while simultaneously bringing up KPA celebrity endorsers as evidence of its superiority. :wacko:

Even more humorous is that the very first celebrity slide on the KPA homepage is... Devin Townsend. Imagine that. :D

And by the way, the Helix does have a sound comparison on their site. If memory serves, I picked out the correct answers in about what same frequency as the KPA. But this detracts from the real issue of the Kemper’s profiling deficiencies.

• Devin Townsend is a paid endorser of the AXE FX II.

Is he?

Fractal or Line 6 don't even have pictures of the amps that they say they modeled!!

My guess is for obvious reasons.

For the same reason profile makers don't do this, I would guess.

My guess is for obvious reasons. If we here are talking about the small differences between the profile and the real amp, imagine the customers' shock when and if Fractal or Line 6 were to ever release a video showing

Like this, you mean.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Don’t trust anything he says! :P

But really, since my work is in this industry doing artist relations and online marketing, people often have misapprehensions of how these things work. Everyone thinks everyone is getting paid to endorse or say glowing things about companies or gear, but it actually happens a hell of a lot less than you think. People are understandably skeptical when a company parades a professional endorsee, but often times those testimonials are sincere and aren’t paid, though the artist may get discounted or free gear and have a direct relationship with the company.

• I think aliasing is a good word to describe some of what's happening in the top end of certain profiles. There's a subtle garble at times whereas the reference amp sounds clean and smooth. One thing I often hear is a small discrepancy (approx. 1dB) in the level of the profile vs. the reference amp. The level discrepancy can exaggerate bottom and top end differences. Of course I'd like to see these remedied eventually by the KPA team, but until then my best advice is to raise the level of the profile by approx. 1dB and add a studio EQ to introduce some of the low-end back into the signal. The Q of the bass control is too wide to be useful for this purpose.

I've heard this before I think . I describe it as the kemper playing catch up or wigging out for a second.

It's funny you mention the plus 1 db bump, i do this on pretty much all my performance profiles.

I've been doing the post eq for a while now and find almost impossible to not do it. I do try to challenge my self and not use it but usually end up doing it anyways.

• I've not had much profiling experience but,

I profiled an egnater vengeance and then played the profile through the same cab i profiled. I didn't do a DI so I'm sure I'd probably get better results than just merely disabling the monitor cab.

My experience is that the profile had a super thin "Mid" wall over it I could eq out. The original tone had a more, "breathy" sound. The playing dynamic was there but the "wall o mid" wouldnt budge.

Since then, I've added a post eq and boost the profile preset overall volume up about 1.3 db
    And I don't have any tone issues, everything sounds pretty rad. I add low end if I need to and cut the crap out of the highs if need be.

• I've heard this before I think . I describe it as the kemper playing catch up or wigging out for a second.

To my ears, the aliasing sounds similar to an MP3 encoded at a low enough bitrate that some of the artifacts are on the cusp audibility. That's the closest thing I can compare it to.

• Sounds burbly to me, that running water in a brook sound. Or like too much fret noise is coming through, or like the distortion is set slightly too high, but you can’t get rid of it by lowering the gain. Maybe the treble is being compressed or distorted too much. Maybe it’s something else. It’s not like the old pod fizz of yesteryear that’s for sure, it’s just that somehow the real amps are smoother slightly up at the top end, I would describe it like they get less crunchy as they get higher while the Kemper remains as crunchy throughout its frequencies, they smooth out and aren’t as pronounced, they have the frequencies just cleaner and smoother sounding.

• Sounds burbly to me, that running water in a brook sound. Or like too much fret noise is coming through, or like the distortion is set slightly too high, but you can’t get rid of it by lowering the gain. Maybe the treble is being compressed or distorted too much. Maybe it’s something else. It’s not like the old pod fizz of yesteryear that’s for sure, it’s just that somehow the real amps are smoother slightly up at the top end, I would describe it like they get less crunchy as they get higher while the Kemper remains as crunchy throughout its frequencies, they smooth out and aren’t as pronounced, they have the frequencies just cleaner and smoother sounding.

In some instances I hear the aforementioned artifacts as well as some raspy, shrill top end. To my ears, the shrillness is accentuated when using single coil pickups. This is the primary reason I previously mentioned that I think the Axe FX amp modeling is superior to the amp section of the KPA.

• In some instances I hear the aforementioned artifacts as well as some raspy, shrill top end. To my ears, the shrillness is accentuated when using single coil pickups. This is the primary reason I previously mentioned that I think the Axe FX amp modeling is superior to the amp section of the KPA.

When you say that this is a accentuated by single coils, do you mean in relation to source tone? In my experience there Has not been such a difference. Edit: Other perhaps the pickup being very high or strings low enough, but not totally sure about that.

However if you play a pickup that tends to have more of a shrill top end and more high than low mids, it will also made the amp sound "raspier", but then one may notice it more in the profile too, especially if only playing the profile and not doing the A/B comparison.

However if you start with a source tone that is quite "non raspy" to begin with rasp may be harder to notice when later playing the profile as well. That, even if the "shrillness" difference between source tone and profile is still at about the same margin. Right now this is my impression/experience.

It'd say the same with it comes to the gain level of the tone. Some notice it more with gain or with crunch when just playing profiles. Me personally, I see just the same all along the spectrum. It can manifest itself a bit differently due to the differences in tones, so no wonder people notice it more with some tones than others, but As a "margin of difference in TS-like tone/rasp" it seems the same to me.. if this makes sense.

Edited 5 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• LOL so Devin Townsend endorses both products. :D

Anyway, I commend you guys on all the energy and continuous testing. When I tested the profiling of my own amps, just like most here and not only in this thread, I was aware of the subtle differences and decided they were insignificant when considering my options of the alternatives products.

I know we are talking about fizz like it's a curse word and about the different type of fizz. From my experience real amps have different fizz depending on the pickups used. Even when using real amps at high gain settings, you still have to deal with fizz, so Kemper is no exception.

Using EQ as Awesome_ELvis and COldFrixion have mentioned seems like a solution that will remain forever viable regardless of what product is used.

Seymour Duncan JB, even though it's a high output pickup, has a distinctive Fizz that Even my wife, who doesn't play guitar, could pin point when I'm playing my 2x12 real Marshall JCM, she says, "you're playing the blue guitar, I can hear that high pitch" 8o . When I switch to other guitars, I can hear different distinct fizz., The smoothest and least Fizz I get is from the ALNICO II pickups. How about guitar strings and Fizz. Ernie Ball and GHS boomer are going to give you smoother fizz than Daddario and who knows maybe GHS are suited for metal.

If considering and trying all that doesn't help, maybe it's time to abandon metal and move on to Jazz.

• Strange enough the "fizz issue" for me is a thing of the past when I used exclusivly my beloved tube rigs (or the ones of my clients) for recordings..

Once I have the "right profile" and removed all remaining fizz the problem is solved forever.I never had this with tube rigs where fizz appears whenever "it wants" even when there was no fizz issue at the very beginning of the recording session (hours or even a day ago) or becomes a problem because of whatever changes (temperature etc) while nothing was changed in the recording chain(tube rig,micing,pre-EQ etc)..

Another big advantage is that now I dont need to ask myself anymore if I have "now fizz" because of any of these unforeseeable factors like temperature,"psychology" or whatever..I can be 100% sure that with the kemper the profile is still the same me and the client have raved about a day ago and still did two hours ago while we were eating at the indian fast food shop..the crucial "taking the guitar and playing the first chord" after a few hours (after lunch,drinking,laughing,argueing about song parts,hearing asian muzak,getting your @@ squeezed over your phone by the beloved voice of your angy girlfriend which "did not see you for two days" etc,etc..you name it)-moment does not play this big role anymore.

This is maybe the biggest plus for the kemper when it comes to the fizz-issue:Once you have "killed the fizz" with a certain profile it stays dead and does not become a fu@@ing zombie.

Something even the hardest tube-rig deciple must admit(though he will never mention it).. :whistling: