Bizarre request: From big pedalboard down to Kemper

• First time poster with some questions about the Kemper. I am considering buying one to replace packing my pedalboard around to gigs and practice.

I am in an interesting spot as a bassist and guitarist who uses huge pedalboards for both instruments. So, I was hoping to ask a few questions about what the Kemper can do.

1. Can I profile my current OD and distortion pedals WITH a stock amp profile?

I don't have a great bass amp, but have been impressed with some stock profiles. I want to just have one of those profiles with my pedals, so is it possible to profile the pedal in conjunction with a preferred profiled amp?

2. Has anyone tried profiling an ampless bass signal chain, including a cab sim?

I run a TC Hypergravity as a multiband compressor/preamp, a Two Notes CAB pedal and an MXR 10 band EQ as always on pedals. I was wondering if I could peofile the whole chain to retain my current setup's sound.

3. How many parallel routing options are there with the Kemper?

I usually run a parallel dry signal with some distortions, and at the same time run that parallel signal into a parallel delay and reverb. Basically two signal splits in one chain. Is this possible with a kemper?

A Kemper could make my life easier, and if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

• Hello

1. Yes

2. Yes, without eq pedal, as far as I remember (with EQ pedal it seems, look on belows post)

3. There is one parallel path in Kemper, so the answer would be yes

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• in order to create a profile from the combination of an outboard pedal and an already existing profile you need 2 PROFILERs.

You can profile effects like EQ and distortion.

The PROFILER can split the signal at the input. One half is send through the first two stomps to the outputs and the other half is being processed by stomp C and D before it goes to the ampstack and the effects. You can also determine how the signal that is processed in the delay module is send to the reverb module using the rev/delay balance parameter which gives you additional routing options.

• Persoanlly, try to get rid of the pedals. There is so much tonal versatility and rigs to choose from...

For me many pedals are to address deficiencies in a particular amp...often covered by another amp...with the KPA and other digital stuff, you don;t have to do that, you can have both amps...

• I would agree to a point, but some of my pedals run in parallel to get a much more unique distortion sound. It is a bit tough to do that with a single amp and no pedals. But, then again maybe the Kemper can solve that. By profiling my pedals, maybe I can get the best of both worlds.

• I would agree to a point, but some of my pedals run in parallel to get a much more unique distortion sound.

Have you tried the direct mix on the Amp section?

This is actually badly labelled as it isn’t a “direct” mix but a clean mix which adds a unique flavour.

Profiles a clean with gain below 4 and dirty above. As far as I can make out from testing this the direct mix actually mixes in some of the profiled amp at gain below 4 so t keeps the character of the main amp but gives it a parallel distortion path. It’s a bit like the way Yngwie and others used to run both clean and dirty heads side by side to get gain/sustain and clarity.

• I would agree to a point, but some of my pedals run in parallel to get a much more unique distortion sound. It is a bit tough to do that with a single amp and no pedals. But, then again maybe the Kemper can solve that. By profiling my pedals, maybe I can get the best of both worlds.

I know many people use pedals to get a unique sound but just saying I've never needed them and don't get it (additional noise, complexity, is it really that unique that anyone else will hear it), BUT yes you may be able to profile the end to end - I do know that the KPA sometimes struggles with multiple gain structures so only way to know is to give it a go.

Just explore all parameters first was really what I was saying..hope you get it!

• Wheresthedug I don't have a Kemper yet, but I am saving for one. I will test this idea out. I lile to biamp with guitar for the same reason, just blending tones.

V8guitar I came into the pedal world after being a Boss GT 8 user for a long time. I never really did deep dives, and realized that pedals offered a simpler interface. So I spent the last 6 years or so grabbing, trading and experimenting with pedals, parallel signal paths and loopers. A lot of this hands on 'knob twisting' knowledge has given me a way better understanding of what the digital solutions do, so I am feeling ready to get back into the digital realm. The only problem I see with Kemper is that the OD and distortion effects seem a bit generic. No gnarly fuzz tones lile the Wampler Leviathan, nothing like the routing and EQ power of the Empress Multidrive, and so forth. Gain staging with amps is also cool to just get something different.

Hence why I made this thread. I just wanted to see if the Kemper could let me profile all these crazy pedal tones that are a core part of my love with music.

• Hence why I made this thread. I just wanted to see if the Kemper could let me profile all these crazy pedal tones that are a core part of my love with music.

The Kemper can profile amp plus pedals and combine them into a single profile as long as the pedals don't include any time based effects (Chorus, Delay, Reverb etc)

• The Kemper can profile amp plus pedals and combine them into a single profile as long as the pedals don't include any time based effects (Chorus, Delay, Reverb etc)

... and as long as there's no more that one single stage working in its non-linear window ;)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• V8guitar I came into the pedal world after being a Boss GT 8 user for a long time. I never really did deep dives, and realized that pedals offered a simpler interface. So I spent the last 6 years or so grabbing, trading and experimenting with pedals, parallel signal paths and loopers. A lot of this hands on 'knob twisting' knowledge has given me a way better understanding of what the digital solutions do, so I am feeling ready to get back into the digital realm. The only problem I see with Kemper is that the OD and distortion effects seem a bit generic. No gnarly fuzz tones lile the Wampler Leviathan, nothing like the routing and EQ power of the Empress Multidrive, and so forth. Gain staging with amps is also cool to just get something different.

Unfortunately you can't profile pedals alone. As Wheresthedug says, you can profile the full chain with OD pedal/s included.

I think this is my point. Most uses ( and I stress most) come from 1 amp not having enough gain and avoiding multi-amp set ups, hence pedals become a vital part.

For me nothing better than a good overdriven amp (say Engl) that negates OD pedals. I use these profiles and I currently do not use any OD pedals either externally or within the KPA. There is also so much EQ on the Kemper available as well that allows more mid boost etc.

The KPA is the best of the early digital world brought up to date. You often used a multi-effect becuase you amp was lacking in effects and sometimes gain as well. Conversely, people always added vavle amps to their digital stuff to gain "warmth". KPA for me does both.

But I know many guys swear by their pedals, so its whatever gets you "your" sound :)

• Different rigs for different situations. As cool as digital modellers/devices can be, the way the effects are laid out on a traditional pedalboard makes it a lot more intuitive to use in some contexts than just having 4 pre-programmed effect knobs like on the kemper remote and that's why the pedal business is still in good shape.

While my main rig is generally KPA + remote alone, I also have a substantial pedalboard + amp rig that I would rather use with some artists or in some specific playing situations where I need more flexibility in the way I use effects or if I need the amp in the room feel (like in a small venue). On that particular board, all pedals go through an Atomic Amplifire which has the amp block/speaker emulation either disabled or not, depending if I need to go direct; that way this rig is pretty flexible and I can adapt to any type of backline in a few seconds.

• Different rigs for different situations. As cool as digital modellers/devices can be, the way the effects are laid out on a traditional pedalboard makes it a lot more intuitive to use in some contexts than just having 4 pre-programmed effect knobs like on the kemper remote and that's why the pedal business is still in good shape.

While my main rig is generally KPA + remote alone, I also have a substantial pedalboard + amp rig that I would rather use with some artists or in some specific playing situations where I need more flexibility in the way I use effects or if I need the amp in the room feel (like in a small venue). On that particular board, all pedals go through an Atomic Amplifire which has the amp block/speaker emulation either disabled or not, depending if I need to go direct; that way this rig is pretty flexible and I can adapt to any type of backline in a few seconds.

Sorry Jed, I still don't get it.

even in small venues, I put guitars through FOH so I see no difference between small and large.

The intuitive bit...pedals tend to be on or off, or you have to bend and start knob twiddling, which during a gig is slow and inaccurate. With the KPA you can preset anything in almost any config, which includes various stomp set ups, as you know.

Anyway, I know its each to his own so not meaning to criticise, it just sometimes it feels to me people cling onto what they know rather than re-evaluate what you really need. I do re-emphasise though I was never a pedal guy so perhaps I'll never understand it :)

• The guitarist in my band loaned me his kemper and I am starting to mess around with it. I have only had an hour on it so far.

I agree as a guitarist that I would prefer amp gain over pedal gain, but as a bassist I really rely on cross over frequencies to keep the bass clear and the mids and trebles high. Not sure if the Kemoer offers this kind of function.

The Darkglass stock profiles are pretty wicked and the B3k/B7K tones are a big part of my sound, but not all of my sound. So far I have been underwhelmed by the stock OD/Distortion pedals in the Kemper. This is probably because amp gain sounds are so good that the OD pedals are kind of overlooked. Plus they seem to be guitar-focused effects and that doesn't cut it on the bass.

My two favourite pedals - Empress Multidrive and DOD Boneshaker- don't seem to have an equivalent in the Kemper. Both these pedals offer a load of blending functionality, EQ and drive control that is absent (to my minimal knowledge) in the Kemper.

The Empress has three parallel signals for independent fuzz, OD and Distortion (with three distinct, switchable stages), independent HP/LP filters on each channel and a very bass friendly master EQ. The DOD has a sweepable 3 band EQ and allows for frequency specific distortion. Also great for the clean lows and grinding mids and highs.

Perhaps I should keep these pedals in front of the Kemper instead of trying to profile them.

However, I was blown away by the delays and reverbs the Kemper offers and the EQ options. There are also a lot of amazing sounding stock bass profiles. A bit more time with it and I might be able to make a more informed decision on whether I should get one or stick with the pedalboard.

• The Kemper has a feature call Parallel Path that lets you split the signal on input with one version going through Stomps A and B then straight to output. A bit like having a DI signal along with your amp.

The other half of the signal goes through Stomps C and D , the Amp section and all 4 of the post Stack FX.

The balance between the two signals can be adjusted as required.

• Wheresthedug Yeah, I discovered this and dialed in some great bass tones. Different flavour with the Direct signal than with my current pedalboard setup, for sure, but I was pleased.

So, I decided to splurge (at the expense of some gear now for sale) and bought the Kemper Stage. I will get it tomorrow. I am sure that if it cannot handle exactly what I need, I can keep a pedal or two to dial in exactly what I want.

Thanks for all the tips, Kemper forum folks.