Hi. New user and some questions.

• Hello everyone

I heard about The Kemper a few years ago when a previous band mate told me about it.

I was like, cool so you say yet another multi-effects thing, eh?

I forgot about it and a couple of weeks ago, for some random reason, I recall the conversation I had with my previous friend and bass player. I thought I could at least check this product out online.

So I went where most people go for research, Youtube.

I searched "Kemper Tones" pure and simply and clicked on the first one, this one:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Having been a Gn'R fan for close to 20 years I was, LITERALLY BLOOOOOOWN AAAAAWAY with what I heard. I still have a huge amount of disbelief. I can not believe my ears. I'm actually really thrilled about this product now.

Anyways, needless to say, I am saving up money for it as we speak. Planing to live on beans and rice for a while cuz this thing costs the big moneys (not for what you get I suppose)

I have a few questions though. I am very simple Plug N' Play kinda guy.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Black Beauty that is my main guitar (all I need)

And I really just wonder how do I connect this Kemper Profiler (toaster) Head I am saving up for?

I understand that I need some kind of cab, right? I live in an apartment (for now) and I kinda see my self using The Kemper with a 2x12 cab.

As I said I'm really simple, I was actually saving up for a 4x12 Jet City cab and head because as I said I prefer the simple human-guitar-0 effects-into something 4x12-powered by 50/100w head. I kinda see my self placing The Kemper on top of a 2x12 cab but I wonder what speakers should I get inside the cab, does it matter? (i keep hearing Full Range Speakers) Is this enough? Should I consider adding something else? I have a computer too, so I guess I could always download firmware/software and new presets.

What is the connecting path with the wires and stuff?

Thanks for reading everyone!

• To use all amazing possibilities the KPA offers sonically ,

go for a FRFR of any kind. A 2x12 or 4x12 will make every profile

that is profiled with a mic to sound like a 2x12 or a 4x12 ........

That´s my thought anyway ..... :)

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Cheers! I will remember that :) I am so psyched about the potential with the Kemper. Looking forward to getting one asap :)

• Welcome! Have fun here in the forum and soon with your Kemper. You'll love it :thumbup:8)
    Nice video indeed.

Planing to live on beans and rice for a while cuz this thing costs the big moneys (not for what you get I suppose)

Tough times, mate. Question: Why are you looking into buying the Toaster format and not the Stage? Stage is Kemper plus Remote in one piece (and after the Toaster is there you will want the Remote at some stage as it really adds value, especially live but also for recording/in the studio - and for fun).

And please consider FRFR speakers like the Headrush 108 or the Yamaha DXR10 as well. You can use the search function here in the forum to find lots of threads covering thoughts around all those solutions.

You're already doing the right thing to consider all this before you buy :thumbup:

• Unless you’re never going to have FOH support, you simply don’t need big cabs. Direct out from the KPA to FOH. Onstage cab to monitor. If you use in ears, you don’t even need that.

I personally prefer the Toaster/Remote setup. Plenty of clean, used examples around to save money.

If you’re playing GNR, you may not need all the flexibility a Remote gives. A 112 and a couple of 1 or two button foot switches may be all that’s necessary.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• Couple of comments:

You need to decide on whether you want a powered or unpowered version ( toaster or rack) or the stage.

If you gig a lot, I personally would recommend a powered rack. Rack mounted is convenient for travelling and powered means you can drive powered or unpowered speakers without the need for an external amp. This is closer to the whole guitar amp concept BUT the stage will sound as good. Its purely a decision based on cost, convenience and your preference.

I prefer FRFR these days but do sometimes use a 4x12. with the powered version you can easily use either. In any case, I would always connect direct to FOH - forget miking cabs, hence why FRFR makes more sense.

It is a top piece of kit, definitely a step above the effects units you would have previously seen BUT the flexibility is also its potential downfall. There are so many parameters some people either find their sound straight away or others take time - no one can guarantee instant gratification. It took me 18 months to be fully happy, mainly because psychologically I could not believe a digital amp could sound that good...hope that makes sense.

Remember much of the sound comes from the fingers as well as the gear...

This is the same for the Ax and Helix...

BTW I've just realised after all these years I may have been playing the paranoid riff wrong :)

• Remember much of the sound comes from the fingers as well as the gear...

+1 from me. Watching videos of profiles etc. can be misleading in the exception to get a desired sound. Amongst the used profile and speakers the fingers are a huge impact in the guitar tone.

And another thing: You said you are a simple guitarist. When you follow the most given tips in this thread and go for FR speakers, be aware that you just hear (and feel!) a miced guitar cabinet. This can be uncomfortable if you aren't used to that sound, especially when using headphones. But KPA has great options to make it more pleasant (but you have to tweak a bit -> simple guitarist? Hmm).

So a powered version with guitar cab will be the most pleasant for you if you desire the "good old feeling". But it lacks the convenience of today's possibilities, so it might be worth to take the trip on going completely FR.

• i bought the PowerRack, stuck it in a Gator shallow 3U rack and just treat it like a tube amp head (tho MUCH lighter weight) it can get louder than i'll ever need to be, and my band is reasonably loud. some folks fret about how to power it and why playing thru a 2-way full range speaker doesn't feel like an amp. just buy the powered version, plug into a nice cabinet and you'll be very happy. i've owned/gigged/recorded over 150 tube amps since 1983 and my KPR into either of my cabs (Mission KM212P for larger stages and compact Egnater 112SX for smaller ones) sounds and feels as good or better than any of them. cheers and good luck!