Posts by Dynochrome

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking that stack/amp volume could effect input levels to the following blocks differently like clipping into the delay or something, but they are the same. I've just always used rig volume by default. You forced me to re-read the manual and Amp Volume is the recommended parameter to create unity levels between rigs while Rig Volume is to create unity volume within setlists. Sorry if I led anyone astray.

I believe (possibly Wheresthedug) tested this a while back and tested/found that changing the amp volume has no effect on the delay/reverb clipping. I'm not sure how that works, or why it wouldn't, (magic digital routing?) but I haven't noticed it doing anything strange. I always adjust my levels that way and save the Rig volume for boosting/morphing.

You don't want to use amp volume (located in the stack section). You want to use rig volume located in the rig section which is used to match volume levels across presets. If that's what your using and its not affecting change, you should open a support ticket.

The Manual does not agree with this:

Volume page 165:

This parameter can be used to balance volume gaps between different PROFILEs. The Rig named “Crunch”, which is default in all Slots in Performance Mode, could be used as a volume reference.

I also one suggested to change the display colour when in morph state instead of just the lit button :) ... should be easy peasy to implement (not for remote)

Raf

That might be more difficult to implement, but would be great!

Disadvantages of a Kemper live: You're going to have to put some work in and give it time. Time with FOH and getting clean/dirty levels correct. Advantages: Once you get things right you can waltz into a gig at the last minute, plug in and everything will be killer and you won't have to worry about a thing, and having that confidence going on stage is a HUGE boon.. My suggestion: Treat it like if you just bought a 4 channel amp. Have your spanky funk/strumming clean, your slight (blues) drive, your heavy drive (80s rock) and your lead tone. Get these 4 leveled using the out put on your "Amplifier" section. Each slot can be boosted with morpf or boosted in level using rig volume from there. Like many people I started out using a bunch of profiles from different sources and figured out the best way to use a Kemper is to treat it like a 5 channel amp and work up from there otherwise you're chasing your tail until you come to this conclusion. Now, I only use a 68, 69(w variac) 72marshall, a Soldano (for "Metal") and a /13 amp that came with the Kemper for cleans. 85% just the 69 Marshall in varying degrees. Keep it simple and build from there.

I fired up my old Soldano Hot Rod 50 with a Soldano 4x12 with Celestion G12H30s for about a half hour this afternoon. It was my daily driver when I switched to a Kemper. I prefer my Kemper rig for many reasons but I could clearly recall why I dug that Hot Rod so much. It's just big brutal muscular tone. As much as I love the Marshall 2204 this Hot Rod beats it every time. There is something special about a tube amp and a 4x12 cabinet.

I just got done jamming straight into a small closed back 1x12 with a Lynchback. At low volume this cab isn't that great, kinda dull. Cranking it up to 50W on the meter (actually 25 because it's 8ohm) it roared to life and was just like or better than playing any tube amp through it. I think a lot of what people like about tube amps is the volume and people tend to play their Kempers through IEM or studio monitors at a polite volume which is fine for live but isn't like cranking it in a room through a speaker. When you do that, Kemper becomes an "amp" just like a JCM800 or whatever you pick.

I saw something today that either wasn't there. or I never noticed before. A Little up arrow @ around 200w. Does anyone know what that signifies? I thought maybe it was a marker to show continuous watt max (I believe 160) but arrow was higher.

I need to do one song with a talk box. is there a tutorial or is it as easy as just put the wah after the amp stack?

I used one for Eagles "those shoes" with a expression pedal that worked great. The other guitarist was miffed because he was dragging around the full setup with a hose and I could come so close that nobody could really tell. I'm sure there is likely a tutorial, there is for almost everything else. I put mine in the first slot where my wah usually goes. In reality I guess putting it after the stack might be more authentic to how a talk box operates.

I'm actually building this dream rig around a NAM micro PC, a SSL2 running thru a KPA loop, I'll disable the KPA amp & cab stack and benefit from all the KPA has to offer.

That sounds fun but personally, I'd rather twist a chicken head knob , get an awesome tone then spend more time on my chops.

I'd be careful equating file size with anything.

For sure. I have had many past units that had big filesizes for backups that the Kemper would blow away easily in every way excluding using up data. One of the most amazing things (to me) about a Kemper is how small the backups are. It's genius, really. It's an amazing guitar amp in many ways.

Some people always have to have something new to keep interested. Many do so they can tell everyone that doesn't have the new thing how great they are and what they are missing. When everybody has one, people stop talking about them and then search for the next new thing. That's why you won't hear of people waxing on about their new Hot Rod deluxe, It's not "special" enough.

The features I need are a killer amp and FX with portability. With Kemper, its done.

What is the purpose of a new interface and devices to make sounds from Plexi's, Tweeds, and AC30s? If a profile is indistinguishable from the "real thing", how can that be improved?

Hmmm. I have a DSL40C and I am not a fan of it

After looking into them a bit, I agree. The clips of them that I have heard sounded like a metal zone pedal. I have some profiles by MB of one that sound pretty good by comparison. I tried one of the bigger DSL heads and liked it but it was a low volume where everything with gain can sound good. I had the predecessor, the JCM2000 and it was just OK.

Its always a good idea to keep at least one combo or halfstack in the stable. That way when you get that craving for new tube smell, you can just grab your old trusty combo and drag it up and down the stairs a few times. Craving over.

Agreed. I still kinda want a Tweed Blues Jr. or a DSL40 but don't want to pay over $450.00 ish. Makes no sense that I do this and if I did, I would likely regret it, just not $1,600.00 of regret. It's more like buying furniture to look at.

Kemper does exactly the same thing without the hassle and the unwanted noises.

Exactly.

I had some nice tube amps Mesa, ENGL, Marshall, Blackstar etc. etc. When I got my Kemper, I saw no need for them and comparing them, found the Kemper superior for getting the sound to a P.A. or Recording desk. I sold them all except for my vintage collector stuff. For the following years, whenever amp G.A.S.would manifest, I cancel it by knowing I can just get a profile of it somewhere.

his weekend I visited an excellent music store and heard this new hand wired 1 channel 20W all tube head from a very popular manufacturer with rave amp reviews on U Tube. (The salesman told me I had to hear it, that it was amazing) I played it, liked it a lot and thought I had to have one, even though I would likely just use it as a home studio toy.(1channel) Paid about $1,600.00 for it. Got it home and compared it to my Kemper. It wasn't the same at home and after getting used to it somewhat, I compared it A/B to the kemper that beat it in every way for doing the same types of sounds. There was nothing in that tube head I couldn't get or better with the Kemper. I returned it the same day.

To my Kemper: Sorry I strayed, The grass is not greener over there in boutique tube amp land and although I did a bad thing and don't deserve forgiveness, it made me love you more. I find I love the idea of a tube amp, but they are not superior by any means. My mistake really reestablished how great a Kemper is. It's no wonder you still see them on Pro stages where they could use any $4,000.00 amp they wanted.

GC used to be glorious in the 80s. All kinds of used deals. I loved the one in Chicago on Milwaukee. I always found something used I HAD to have. Most of the GCs now are rubber stamp box stores that all sell the same very limited selection of very common amps and tons of student level guitars. 6 people working none which can answer technical questions. I really don't need them , I usually know more about the gear I am looking for than they do and I'll be telling them the features.

They will only give you like 40% 50% on used gear and sell it for twice as much. So if you have an item that they will sell for $1,000.00 they will only give you $500.00 for it. You'll never get $700.00 for it even though they would clear $300.00 cash, they will not budge even if you used the money to buy something else that they would also make a markup on, they have to make a set percentage coming and going. But at least you can walk in/ trade in (albeit at a loss) there.

Generally if a store won't give me a good deal on my trade, I'll buy online and sell online. If they won't deal with me, I won't deal with them.