Posts by DonPetersen

This is correct Ingolf, but TBH I don't care much about support.
    The main problem here is that upgrading is not even supported to W7 (not to mention 8 ), which means I should erase my installation and install from scratch (along with all the related hassle).
    I've just seen there seems to be the possibility to upgrade to Vista then to 7 keeping settings and files. I think I'll try this route...

... hell, Rig Manager could be the first app that pushes me to upgrade... XP is an exceptional piece of software, has been working flawlessly here for more than 13 years over three generations of hardware... I've been extremely satisfied with it, know it like my pockets (as we say in Italian), have optimized its performance to perfection and will be really sad to dismiss it.

snif

I hear you.
    felt the same way - I used XP until not too long ago (guess why I had to upgrade, haha).

I wouldn't recommend the route via Vista and then to Win7.
    Make a clean install, it's very likely to run so much better...

If anything, I regret not having switched earlier.

The other thing is when sorting by Rig Name and jumping to an entry by typing e.g. M to jump to the start of the M's , it would be nice if it would allow multiple key entry so you type ME to e.g. jump to the first Mesa rig or MA to jump to the first Marshall, so like the file explorer.

that's pretty much what the search field in the upper right corner is for ;)

anyone else have any suggestions for this?

set the Volume lower than '0'?
    (it goes down to -5)

but in essence the Wah is boosting a narrow band of frequencies quite a bit, which results in more distortion.
    meaning the profile is responding to it like an amp would.

KPA FX Send -> Banshee Talk Box |---| Shure Beta 57 -> Mic Preamp -> KPA FX Return

This mean that after changing to a rig with the FX loop on for a solo or a phrase, the Direct Output in the Master Section gets turned on and the talk box will be buzzing in my ears from then on. Note that this bug was introduced in one of the recent firmware updates, it wasn't there in 1.6 for instance.

It makes sense to me, that the presence of a Loop would switch the Direct Out (= Send) out of the 'off' state.

what happens if you disengage the Banshee with it's footswitch?

I'm not a big fan of the so called tone-matching myself.
    there are a few good and many pretty horrid sounding examples out there.

the problem is that people think it's ok to use a match eq as an completely automated process that does all the work for you without user discretion.

If I had to match a sound to a recording, I would use a good sounding tube rig that sounds close (gain, cab, mic and mic position-wise),
    run the signal from the mic into your DAW and use whatever match eq you have/like.

By 'use' I mean, let it listen to your rig, let it listen to the target tone and then, when it produces the 'match' curve, turn the mix of the eq down to '0'.
    now slowly increase until it sounds good.

most tone matches were done with the mix at 100%, which is why they tend to sound cartoonish, or like a caricature.

axiom: threre are no quick fixes when it comes to tone, no plugin will make a 'meh' signal sound great.

a simple 5 watt tube amp (the selection is huge these days) with a 1x12 cabinet and a decent mic OTOH goes a long way with the Profiler.

I've done a bit of it.
    What you need is a profile that sounds fairly close to the recording
    record a take as close as possible to the recording with the cab OFF
    then do the usual routine with ozone to match and export and IR
    convert IR into cabmaker and import that and thats it!

switching the Cabinet OFF activates the cab driver.
    therefore the results won't match.

my guess is that if you're missing something from the tracks when you play them back,
    you were hearing your guitar strings acoustically while recording.
    Obviously these have a lot of attack.

this can be simulated with the Direct Mix parameter, or since 2.3 even better with the parallel path feature, that lets you EQ the clean DI and mix it with the main signal.

from the manual ;)

"Git Analog
    (Only available and default setting for the Direct Output).
    The pure and clean instrument signal is sent to the Direct Output by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel."

Not my taste - guess there are more authentically sounding profiles on the RE imo.

but a properly made profile is by definition authentic/true to the source.

1972 Super Reverb with original Jensen speakers and a ribbon mic from the 60's - again, pretty authentic stuff.

not to your taste - apparently, no one can argue with that, but calling it less authentic then other profiles is somewhat, uh, non-sensical.

:)