Posts by Cederick

I still think it would be preferable to go the DI-track-supplied-by-you route, 'cause at least it would eliminate your guitar as a possible "culprit" (I realise this is unlikely), and also provide a nice, apples-against-apples comparison.

Any differences you hear in the resulting reamp comparison will indicate that something's amiss. You won't be left asking yourself, "Are the differences I'm hearing (however minor) due to a different guitar's being used for the forum member's reamping, or are they there because my Kemper's faulty?".

I know how different guitars sounds. I have 6 guitars and it doesn't make any difference in "digital fizziness" if I use different guitars. I have tried other guitars too, all with different pickups, active / passive and stuff...
    That's why I dont mind another guy using his own guitar to record the track.

I just wanna hear a recording, from another guy, on another device, and see if it produces the same digital sounding fizziness.

I would also like to do the reverse: recieve a recording of a simple riff from somebody, with the profile, and then set it up and record it myself and see how different it will sound.

Yeah as I said I dont mind another guy using another guitar

I just wanna see if that recording elimiates the annoying digitally sounding fizz I have on all my distortion profiles with Kemper cabs (it sort of goes away with cab off and using IRs instead)

Distortion sense is at 0.0
    I dont have any weird settings on output section

Then WHY does all Kemper sound almost worse than my Roland Microcube? :(

UPDATE!!!!!! 2016-08-28

Please download this DI signal, and reamp with factory rig "OLA - Edvaha"
    https://we.tl/Rt91r0d6ul
    Record in mono, Pure cab OFF, no/0.0 headphone space, SPDIF at 0.0db if you use SPDIF
    Nothing weird, all factory standard settings

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
    ///update

Yeah this is my common "coming back" thread but now I REALLY want to get down with the issue...

Download my file and record the riff with the profile (it's a tweaked Kemper stock TAF profile)
    https://we.tl/nO8bC7LhQj
    Send me a non-treated mono file and I wanna see how it sounds...
    Please use humbucker, if EMG 81, even better. I know other pickups will sound different, but this is not my concern; my concern is the quality of my recordings.
    I think it sounds thin, harsch, digitally distorted and that goes for AAAAAAAAAAALL my profiles.

It sounds better if I turn off the Cab and use IRs instead, they sound much more natural, but I really wanna use the Kemper cabs so I dont have to mes around with IRs all the time.

I do NOT mess around with output EQ or "pure cabinet" or something like that, it's all stock settings without any fuzzle. I use SPDIF connection

I had contact with SinMix regarding my SinMix profiles and his reamps sounded really different than mine, more natural and not as bright and trebly

HEEEEEEELP!!! I'm really getting tired of my Kemper sounding bad || I can't go on year after year messing around trying to get a decent non-digital sounding amp setting...

I've never had this much trouble recording/reamping guitars before. I've recorded with real tube amps like Engls, Randall, Marschall and Mesa Dual Rectifier, and I've never had to spend so much time getting a decent tone, and most of all, I've never had this issue with "digital sounding distortion"

@Cederick I sent you a message via this forum. To check it, look at the top left corner of the forum and click "Conversations".

@sinmix Your sound is awesome. No denying it. Cederick is not saying theres anything wrong with your reamp version, its when he uses the profile on his kemper, it does not sound the same. My guess is theres a setting on his kemper that needs to be adjusted to fix the issue.

Exactly!

That's what has bugged me in all of these threads I've made.

People say "I like that sound" or something like that, but that's not helping the issue.

The issue is that when I use a profile that's exactly the same as somebody else, it sounds thin and fizzy.
    And that's ALL profiles on my entire Kemper, that has that thin and fizzy sound.

Going the SPDIF, we can count out the factor of preamp coloration.

Amp EQ and output EQ is at 0 on all frequencies, and clean sense doesn't even affect the sound at all.

At the moment, I have my dist sense at +-0.

This was NEVER intended as a bash on SinMix profiles, or any other. Not even Kemper unit itself, but rather my issue beingunable to make the same sounds as others.

I appriciate you for listening and 100% understanding my issue, rather than just "I like how it sounds" or "that would be better in a mix than a lot of bass"... Gah. hahaha

I am not an expert and have no idea how reliable this test is. From your level matched sinmix comparison. Blue is sinmix, yellow is your reamp.
    Strange as I thought it would be the reverse. You are definitely setting something differently from how sinmix has.

[Blocked Image: https://snag.gy/tLQIEd.jpg]

Cool test man!

The weird thing is, I expected way more difference on a spectrum analyser than than.
    That's pretty close, but I can hear a lot of difference myself.

@Cederick is the OUTPUT eq neutral?

Yep :)

CS @ -12 is certainly an extreme setting.
    if the INPUT LED hits red now and again, this doesn't mean it's clipping - at all.
    in fact disable STACK and record with a CS setting of '0' and unless you can hear clipping going, there is none happening.

despite the actual distance to the strings - the way the whole humbucker is visible in your setup is something I haven't seen before.

I will see what settings I have when I have time, I gotta run to the bus soon, but I will look later!

What do you mean with "whole humbucker is visible"? I can't see anything weird with the pickup than any other humbuckers out there? :|

I do hear what you are saying with your comparison matched example with sinmix. You are missing some mids and lows in your example which makes it sound thin and fizzy. There has to be a setting that you are doing differently than sinmix.

Sinmix, ever think about offering paid skype support? This is something even I would sign up for.

Finally somebody who gets my issue :D

I don't ever wanna hear again "I prefer your sound" or "that should be better in a mix" like some people in this thread (and all my other past threads about the same issue)... That's not my issue guys :( it's not helping me solve my issue :(
    The issue is that my recordings and reamps sounds different THAN THEY SHOULD

Most (all?) commercial profiles are created with the Clean and Distortion Sense set to 0. That explains why your KPA sounds different with these rigs than other people's KPAs.

If you are clipping the Input of the KPA, your pickups may be too close to the strings.

If you are clipping the Output of the KPA, your pickups may be too close to the strings, and you may be adding too much gain or output to compensate for the Input settings,

Clean sense doesn't even affect the sound at all on these profiles :rolleyes:
    Okay, so just to try, I set Clean Sense to 0 too. Of course, this doesn't affect the sound at all on the distorted profiles.

And I had to lower my pickup down THIS MUCH to not clip the input.
    This is NOT NORMAL for a guitar to have a pickup this low. Also, the guitars harmonic response is severly affected by this.
    [Blocked Image: http://i68.tinypic.com/j6u1d0.jpg
    [Blocked Image: http://i67.tinypic.com/30w5n9x.jpg]

Clean sense makes NO DIFFERENCE in sound.
    Dist sense DOES make difference, but it's at 0.

Does different interface units have different sound quality on SPDIF?!

From what I have read, all SPDIF have the same sound quality, but if that's a wrong statement, then I guess I have to get a new interface? :(
    I have a Tascam US-1641 (mainly for drums) and Tascam US-144MKII, so it's definitely a couple of fairly cheap ones.

Should I buy a higher tier interface?

I'm wondering if the is some gain staging issue here - it sounds like yours is pushed harder, resulting in more distortion. If you and @sinmix used spdif, did you tell him what your clean sense is set at? (that would allow him to set the reamp sense to the opposite value to ensure gain staging was identical)

My clean sense is at -12

I've made threads about that before, without any solution.

Others have had the same problem too. If I raise the clean sense above -12 it starts clipping red!

Nobody has ever been able to find out the issue... :(

And here I am with my thin sounding profiles. Nobody can help... Or even understand :(

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Kemper profiles are slightly more trebly than the real amp.

That's my own experience when making my own Kemper profiles too. Both DI (Engl preamp) and real amp (Dual Rectifier/Engl preamp with poweramp) got a little more high end fizz in the Kemper profile, just like your profiles got in that clip

I just searched for 'kemper 5150 comparison' and found some random comparisons on Soundcloud.
    They do the same thing! The Kemper is more trebly than the real amp, in both this. Just like your new SinMix comparison...
    And its just like my own experiences with profiling amps myself

EDIT: removed one becuase it was KEmper vs Axe FX, sorry... didn't realize it first

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

since you are obviously in the position to mic and record an amp - why don't you profile an amp yourself?
    now you will have a meaningful A/B comparison, instead of trying to tone match a track.

Well, I'm getting a 5150III 50watter soon, and I will definitly try that out.

I don't do it often because I have my home studio in an apartment, and have to travel a good bit to get to my rehearsal where I can have loud tube amps.

I Give up! :D but... Iv made today Kemper profile of my Mesa DR Rev.F boosted with my Deviltoy Bee Marshall MF400 cab was used with K100 Speakers miced with Heil Pr20/AT 4040 mic. If you think the tone its still thin and dont sounds like typical thrash tone i give up again, maybe better to use my Savage or 5153 fot that kind of tone but... mesa always sounds good :D Still the same DI track from You!

Stay Metal!

This does sound like what a recorded Dual Rectifier should sound like.
    I've recorded real Dual Rectifier for one my bands albums a couple of years ago, and I remember it being boomy and bassy as hell.
    Nothing I like, but I'm really not talking about getting a ridicolously "fat sound", everybody seems to misunderstand.
    I want a middy sound, but not with that unpleasant fizz and thin bottom I have on every Kemper cab.

Please, look at below;

My IR sounds slightly more like your recording, while I imported that very same cab into Kemper and suddenly it's... You guessed it; THIN AND FIZZY!!!!

:( oh my god this is so frustrating

Here you are, Cederick. It is on the main Kemper website under Support --> Downloads --> and then you have to click on the sub-menu "Utilities". Here is a direct link:https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/11/Utilities

Thanks.

But as you can hear, there's a huge difference!

Original IR in DAW, I remember recording a real Dual Rectifier for one of my albums a couple of years ago, and this totally sounds like a Dual Rectifier should sound like. Of course, this one would need some more high-passing and probably add some treble/presence in the amp section, but that's not the issue right now.

This however, does NOT. It's the same amp with that exactly same IR imported into KEmper! It's fizzy and thin. I mean, how many times do I have to repeat it, all my Kemper cabs sounds like thin fizzy crap :(

There's a reason why I have returned so many times about this, because IT IS AN ACTUAL ISSUE.
    Everytime I tend to be like "well it's maybe just me hearing stuff wrong" but it's clearly and obviously and apparently not! I am mixing two bands at the moment, both which used regular tube amps to record, and none of them had this thinny "quality" to their guitar recordings.

Where is "CAB MAKER"? Somebody suggested me making a cab of that IR.

But it's not on Kempers homepage!!!!

Also, a question regarding that;

When I have switched cab on a profile, I CAN NEVER FIND THE ORIGINAL CAB AGAIN!!!!
    Like, if I change from the stock cab, for something else and saves the profile, that original cab IS GONE. Like totally vanquished.
    Anybody else have this problem ?

I can't help myself, but to me it sounds as if the main difference between your reamp and Sinmix's is the difference in volume. Just raise your clip's volume by a few decibels. Could you have become a victim of Fletcher and Munson?

The volume is definitely different for sure.

Okay but listen here! Now it's level matched, and it's still REALLY DIFFERENT.

Both are reamped with the same profile and SPDIF.

Mine is really thin and SinMixs own reamp is full and not fizzy at all

So.....No one is gonna mention how much of a psychological factor his professional recorded reference tone that HAS A BASS GUITAR ON IT and drums that don't sound like paper plates makes a difference huh???

Oh, it has been more than hinted at. However, another similar opinion can't hurt. Hopefully the OP can recognize and appreciate constructive commentary.

Oh ya.... I see that now....

you can't compare your reamp with no bass and paper thin fake drums to a professionally recorded mix with real drums and a BASS GUITAR that sounds absolutely huge... If you are trying to do a real comparison, you cant compare middle school flag football to the NFL man... Gotta be apples vs apples... I got nothin on the DI problem however...

I know that, but because you insist, here's the beginning of the song without drum and bass!
    What you say now?

Original guitar sound I wanna have;

This is SinMix profile with CAB OFF and using IRs in the Cubase

This is the same profile with standard Kemper cab activated. It sounds like a frickin FM Radio

And I'm all for a middy guitar tone... But for this particular recording I want a tone more similar to Grave Digger in the first, which is "kinda scooped"

This is driving me nuts.

Somebody said that SPDIF sucks the tone... But why does it work for SinMix and not me?

Thanks! Haha. I will get to this when I have time, it's evenening now with TV series watching time so I guess I'll do this tomorrow, haha.

However I tried SPDIF vs XLR, and I can't hear much difference, just a little more "nasty high-mid" on one of them...
    Can somebody tell which is digital vs "analog"?

Every time the riff is repeated it changes from one of the recording technqies