What is your favorite mic?

• I have a hand full of mic's and I've tried single and dual mic's but I keep going back to using a single dynamic mic going straight into the KPA, either the tried and true SM57 or the Audix i5. If I had to choose one mic right now it would be the i5, but it can be a bit bright on certain profiles and in that case the SM57 seems to be a bit smoother but I'm not so sure that I like it on most profiles. What mic's have you guys have good luck with? Do you find certain mic's work better with certain types of tones?

• I haven't done a lot of profiles but I like the ones I made with a ribbon mic the best. I used a cheap MXL R144 but there are lots of choices for ribbons in all price ranges. Ribbon mics tend to have a very natural sounding midrange but a LOT of proximity effect and can be very bottom heavy if you're not careful.

• Let's see, bear in mind I only do high gain profiles:

SM57 seems to be my go-to, I usually en up prefering profiles that are done with a 57-V30 combo. Much more aggressive and gnarly than the rest.

Audix i5 if I want something brighter and less aggressive in the mids.

MD421 if I want something bright and scooped.

Shure SM7B as an alternative to the 57, somewhat similar but is smoother with more body. (A great vocal mic though).

Beyerdynamic M201TG, a very different mic from the rest. Extended top end, almost condenser'ish. Very even frequency response. I've used these succesfully as drum overheads as well.

• I prefer the combination of a Sure SM57 and a Sennheiser MD421 both closest, varying the position. One Mic I use always on axis, the other on the rim of the speaker. If needed in special cases I use a pair of condenser mics at different positions. All mics are summed in a small sub-mixing console for profiling.
    Works fine - I like the sound possibilities.

• I've tried a bunch for high gain, and otherwise, and if I could use just one mic, it'd be the Royer 101. I've had the 121 in the past and I actually like the cheaper 101 better. I think it's a much more honest and forgiving mic than the sm57 for high gain stuff. Put the two mics together and it doesn't get much better than that.

cheers

• These kind of things always end up being "the mic I know", and I'm guilty of that.

You just can't beat the SM57 for the guitar amp, although I've had real advantage of putting a TLM103 paired with the SM57. I just like 2 mics on an amp.

I use the 103 as a vocal mic and it's great for background vocal layering as its quiet, but as with ALL mic's, it's VERY important as to what PREAMP you pair it with. I sometimes use the 103 on main vocals but it's probably better for a woman's voice. I haven't found the perfect mic, but I've used the SM57 for screaming vocals and that works very well too, which was a bit of a shock when you're used to singing through an expensive mic and the used $50 mic works best!

In the end, I've read that it's best if you can afford to have a variety of mics to play around and see what works each time. I've found a mic to work perfectly for one song, and seem totally wrong for another song, because of what I was trying to do. I've even recorded with an Olympus LS-10 for a different take and sometimes blend that in for the presence it can give. Try different things and you'll find creative answers.

So the "best" mic is a moving target, it always changes from my experience.

• This is a hard question for sure... So many mics give such different images/perspective of an amp. But generally for me, in metal, a micd with care sm57, spending REAL time finding the sweet spot, is hard to beat, and there's a reason why this 100 dollar mic wins out in most every studio producing metal. With studios that can basically afford anything, there MUST be a reason... Using multiple mics is an artform, and unless you are a professional with real world experience, I'm
    Very lery of any profile with 2 mics. It may not be apparent single tracked by itself, but it will be when double or quad tracked in a mix. I for one could never be an audio engineer: there are just SO many variables, with no real " standards " except maybe a few: it would drive me nuts. Huge respect for these guys pumping out amazing records with different techniques/gear on each one, and making it sound awesome.... End of my rant

• Hard to pick a single favorite. I still use a vintage SM57 (Unidyne III for those keeping track) for some stuff, but I really like the Audix i5 and the Heil PR20. The MXL R144 ribbon is a great cheap microphone too, and super nice on cleans. It sounds especially good through my Focusrite ISA One preamp. Eventually I'm probably going to get a Neumann TLM103 and a Royer 101 - used them in a recording studio and I liked how they sounded.

Two mics I just do not care for at all are the Sennheiser e609 Silver and the MD421. In combinations with other mics they are ok, but on their own... Ugh, I just don't like em.

Sorry, went off the track a bit... but you really should check out a i5, PR20 or MXL R144 if you have a few spare bucks. Especially the i5 and the PR20. Both sound great!

Pete

• I don´t like the sound of a e609 or a MD421, here I agree with okstrat.

So I do! I don´t like the e609 or MD421 as well. For acoustic guitar I love my Neumann Mic´s, but for recording electric guitar I always will prefer the Royer 121. Sometimes in combination with a Shure SM57. In live situations one SM57 in front of a tube amp.

For recording I use a Reussenzehn mic-tube preamp. I sold my Avalon 737 and use mainly my Reussenzehn.

8|