Atomic CLR vs. Matrix Q 12a vs. Camper 112 CX

• Anyone not happy with their CLR after this informative overview, and wants to get rid of it, please let me know!! :D

Sean

Again just a cynical and useless post, nobody said, that the CLR isn't good or anyone should sell it.... Ingolf for sure will keep his 2 CLRs and like we said it's a great FRFR-cab for the KPA, but it's NOT THE ONLY ONE.

For some like pacocito it might be also an alternative to get a CX or Q12a within a few days instead of waiting for 6 months or more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• I see it exactly as Günter.
    The essence of this afternoon playing the different cabs is:

1. There are alternatives.
    2. A potential buyer does have choices.
    3. There's no holy grail cab superior to all other available solutions.

It is that easy.
    Actually this is a reason for joy, and not for controversy.

• Sad to hear your TGP thread got closed, Ingolf, that's really unfair and often makes it look like the thread opener (you, in this case) were not being objective or just trolling. Pretty sure that wasn't the case, having seen your review. It's not like half of the posts on TGP are based on science (e.g which is the best OD, DS, whammy, flanger, etc).

I like the fact you say the CLR is AS GOOD AS the CX AND the Q12 and haven't changed your stance throughout, despite the craziness that the shootout seems to have generated and your own experience with trying to share the results.

Would ask the other forumers not to resort to sledging any company or product. Let's keep it civil, especially since it seems like the same guys are involved in these blowouts about FRFR speakers. Not that I don't see the reason for the animosity, it's just that it's messing up the tidiness and good humour of the site :rolleyes:

• Just a quick thanks to the OP. It's damn hard to get comparable gear in the same room sometimes. I'm grateful whenever anyone in a circumstance such as this takes the time to whip out a camera or a recorder and share their experience with the rest of us who haven't yet been able to see a) all of these units, or b) all of these units in the same place at the same time.

The appeal of the light(er) weight and backline form factor of the Q12a is irresistible for me at least so I pulled the trigger. My unit should show up this week. :)

I slug it out on small stages and rehearsals around town and my back is starting to give me trouble (old car accident injury) so those 2 criteria put that unit at the top of my list. I have an RCF nx12 as a wedge right now and I think it sounds great but I find myself wishing I had a backline setup for many gigs. The CLR is on my list as a potential replacement for the RCF; not that I'm dissatisfied with the RCF, but the 2nd input on the CLR would allow me a mult a little of my own vocal into my own wedge setup and deal less with local soundmen shenanigans!

Final point: the Q12a was available immediately! :)

I was on the wait list for a CLR for 4 months. The email saying I was able to place my order came while I was travelling for a week in the middle of summer with limited connectivity. They gave me a 48 hour window to place my order which had lapsed by the time I returned. Pretty frustrating after a 4 months wait to get passed over like that. I'm sure it sounds terrific and I hope I'll get a chance to experience it first hand soon. For now, I'm excited to try out the Q12a when it gets here this week!

• There's one thing which is important for all from the EU: there will be no custom-fee. I guess the CLR will be quite expensive if you order it directly in the States. I bought the Matrix in GB and I didn't have to pay VAT (I'm owning a UST-ID-number) and there was no custom-fee, too.

Like Ingolf said, owning a KPA and having a multiple choice of good FRFR-cabs should be a reason for joy and not for cynical criticism and dogmatism.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Just wanted to check in and say “hello”. I was sorry to see this topic get some of the negative attention that it did. I think hearing different people’s opinion is productive and I certainly understand that not everyone see things the same way or has the same needs.

I’d also like to clear a couple of misconceptions about the CLR:

Atomic opened a fulfillment center in the UK last spring which ships our products directly to all of Europe and Scandinavia. Shipping costs are low and VAT applies the same way it does for other companies shipping from within the EU (read: no duties).

The CLR is the same price in Europe as it is in the US (999.95 USD) making nearly $100 less expensive than the closest cost competitor covered here (I only mention this because the opposite has been alluded to earlier in this thread more than once).

Atomic is in no way affiliated with Fractal Audio Systems or the Axe-Fx. For the record, I think the KPA is an excellent and innovative product. As a matter of fact, I choose the KPA to showcase the CLRs exclusively in Atomic's suite at The NAMM show this year. Kemper, in kind, also used CLR wedges in their booth.

There is a new EU CLR shipment about to arrive in our UK facility in the next week. By the end of the first week in October we expect to be sending out Reserve List invitations to all of Europe again. We will have enough inventory to fill all orders on the EU list.

The CLR has features, specs and design elements that make it measurably and audibly different than any other option in its market segment. I won’t belabor these points here as I don’t think this is the time or place to do so. And by saying this, I’m not trying to discount anyone’s opinion as these things may or may not be the key reasons for going with one solution or the next based on an individuals wants and needs.

Atomic is a small company based in the US with a presence in the UK. We’ve been in business and building amplification solutions for modelers/profilers for over 10 years now. We are very passionate about the products we make. We are very customer focused and are pleased to service this community.

Naturally, I feel that CLRs are the best FRFR solution to amplify the Kemper but I don’t expect everyone to agree.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for listening. :)

Sincerely,

Tom King
    President / Founder
    Atomic Amplifiers

• Atomic opened a fulfillment center in the UK last spring which ships our products directly to all of Europe and Scandinavia. Shipping costs are low and VAT applies the same way it does for other companies shipping from within the EU (read: no duties).

....Naturally, I feel that CLRs are the best FRFR solution to amplify the Kemper but I don’t expect everyone to agree.

Thanks for the detailed infos, is there a link to the UK-store you could post here? Will the CLR be shipped within a few days?

Like I said the CLR for sure is a great FRFR-cab.

• Thanks for the detailed infos, is there a link to the UK-store you could post here? Will the CLR be shipped within a few days?

Like I said the CLR for sure is a great FRFR-cab.

Hi Guenterhaas,

As I mentioned above, we expect to start sending out Reserve List invitations in the EU by the end of the first week in Oct. This could change a few days in either direction depending on how long it takes to get through customs and restock the warehouse. There is no public link to the EU store (or the US store for that matter). Since we're still shipping only to people on the reserve list we simply send an invitation with a link to our private web store. This will change once we're through the list.

Once an order is received we ship within three business days. Many times it's same or next day.

Currently our website has pricing, product info, specs and instructions on how to get on the CLR Reserve List.

By the way, respect to you and Ingolf. I can't say that I personally endorse your testing methodology but I do appreciate your opinions.

-TK

• Just wanted to check in and say “hello”. I was sorry to see this topic get some of the negative attention that it did. I think hearing different people’s opinion is productive and I certainly understand that not everyone see things the same way or has the same needs.

Well said.

The CLR has features, specs and design elements that make it measurably and audibly different than any other option in its market segment. I won’t belabor these points here as I don’t think this is the time or place to do so. And by saying this, I’m not trying to discount anyone’s opinion as these things may or may not be the key reasons for going with one solution or the next based on an individuals wants and needs.

Thanks! Again, total agreement.

Thanks for posting here, Tom. Your commentary and perspective are welcome and appreciated. Peoples ears are different. Their needs are different. There is absolutely no 'one size fits all' solution in any type of gear. The CLR is a great product and very well respected.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

Edited once, last by Desiato ().

• I guess the smiley face on my post didn't clarify that I was being very tongue-in-cheek with my comment.

The intent was to say that anyone who wants to get rid of a great sounding CLR or any of these options based on theoretical numbers, then please sell it to me.

Sorry if I was not clear on my post. I'm not used to the TGP culture and don't want it here on the KPA forum.

I highly appreciate any real reviews like this one.
    Thanks
    Sean

• Talking about TGP.
    Why is everybody there? Because they simply have a dedicated section for digital amps.
    Is there another international forum with such a dedicated section?

If not, you guys should motivate e.g. Gearsluts to have an extra room.
    Digital amps should be treated separately, as guitara and amps are separates regularily.

Thoughts?

• Talking about TGP.
    Why is everybody there? Because they simply have a dedicated section for digital amps.

Digital amps should be treated separately, as guitara and amps are separates regularily.

Thoughts?

People go to TGP because it's got more members than every other gear forum combined (practically). There are so many great musicians there, but also thousands of flakey people. Plus, if you want to sell gear away from ebay, that's the best marketplace. But I wish another forum could rise up and get some of the knowledgeable, talented people from TGP, and just leave the weirdos there. :D

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Talking about TGP.

Thoughts?

I think the real draw of TGP is the stompbox and FX section actually. TGP has always been popular, but hits have gone through the roof since the Harmony Central forums imploded due to a badly planned renovation strategy. HC lost a lot of users due to that poor planned move and most of them migrated to TGP.

I used to be on TGP, but haven't logged in for over a year now. Just got tired of the endless GAS threads and randomness in commenting on someone's personal problems put up for the world to see. As people are increasingly finding out, it's not very friendly either, even more so if you're not from the US and don't tow the line of the admins/their followers. That said, I've met a lot of very nice and supportive people even though I stood out like a sore thumb.

I'm a member of Gearslutz, it's a pretty cool website, but not a very chatty place if you're not a major gearhead and into massive studio setups. There are discussions on the Kemper Amplifier there and some sterling endorsements from Michael Wagener and other producers.

Doesn't beat the Kemper forums for in-depth discussion about the Profiler though.

• You are pretty much right. They are the only ones I know about with a dedicated section. Many other forums do not want to do this because they don't have so many users. Fragmentation in those cases do not usually work well for them in terms of visits.

• People looking for another gear forum should have a look at thefretboard.co.uk. It's. Super friendly and full of great people. Some of them even have kempers!

• Basically, network effects (i.e. people go there because that's where everyone is). I've been a member since before TGP split off from the old PRS forum in 2002. Like it or not, it has better content and more knowledgeable users than any other guitar forum I've peeked at. You can complain about the moderators and thread deletion rules, but with the ridiculous number of users and posts they have over there comes understandable reliance on self-censorship to keep the tone of the community civil and reporting by the user base to point the mods to trouble spots. The only other gear forum I've seen that rivals it is Gearslutz, but it obviously has a different focus.