Then and Now - new rough mix featuring the Kemper

• Hello all. Well, another rough mix of a tune from my forthcoming EP. The levels aren't yet where I like them, and I've since clean up a couple parts, but getting there. The distorted leads are the Conford Carerra profile from TAF. I don't remember which profile I used for the clean guitar at the beginning, need to check my project. The ping pong delay was added in post, not from the KPA. And all the "weird" effects and the acoustic picked stuff at the end are from the Zoom G3 and MS-70CDR. All parts played on was my Parker PDF100.

https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/then-and-now

• Wow, that sounds convincing!
    Though I find some levels still a bit uneven (lead a bit too loud at the beginning), like you said, this is all in all very good sounding to me.
    Care to share some other production aspects (DAW, drums)?

I track in Reaper. The drums are the John Blackwell Session Sonar kit from Sonic Reality's Drum Masters 2 sample library using the Infinite Player instrument in Kontakt, bass is Native Instruments Scarbee Jay-Bass. there is some EQ applied to the guitars to carve them into a sonic spot, mostly just high pass filtering.

Very cool, at first I was worried about the bass dominating, then 20 secs into it, I would not imagine it any other way! :)
    Great playing.. Drums need a bit of work for production (not the playing) just the overall sound.. - other than that, all great :)
    When its ready I'll buy it

Drums are always a challenge for me. I started out with a much more polished sounding kit but it sounded artificial. This kit sounds more more natural, which is what I'm going for but the still doesn't quite have the pop and sizzle I'm wanting. I'm a little further down the mixing path than I was at the point of this test but it's a rather grueling process for me...

• I enjoyed that a lot, thanks for sharing! I felt the bass was just right, the drums though were a little dry, I feel it needs more of an intimate "in the room" live atmosphere to compliment the great guitar work, but that's a very minor thing.

• Nice work! I think it's fine as it is, but a few ideas: add a dB or two of air to the clean guitars at 10kHz'ish, and volume automate the drum bus to be a dB louder during the guitar solo.

Cool, sounds really good! :)

I enjoyed that a lot, thanks for sharing! I felt the bass was just right, the drums though were a little dry, I feel it needs more of an intimate "in the room" live atmosphere to compliment the great guitar work, but that's a very minor thing.

Thanks guys. The has gone though some pretty big changes since this initial version to try and separate the instruments a bit more but your suggestions are all very appreciated!