Setting up Kemper amp for Bass players

• Hi,

I play electric bass and my style of music is Jazz, Funk , Soul. I was wondering if there were any bass players out there that are using the kemper for this type of music. I have being trying to set the kemper up for bass but it seems to be quite a challenge. I am trying to set suitable eq and amp model etc. As you would expect, the unit is set up for guitar straight out of the box but not for bass. Can anyone help?

Sam

• Hi,

I play electric bass and my style of music is Jazz, Funk , Soul. I was wondering if there were any bass players out there that are using the kemper for this type of music. I have being trying to set the kemper up for bass but it seems to be quite a challenge. I am trying to set suitable eq and amp model etc. As you would expect, the unit is set up for guitar straight out of the box but not for bass. Can anyone help?

Sam

Ive used a few of Andys TAF free bass profiles and they are awesome go get them they are free :thumbup:

• Not a bass player, but I know a common thing for bass is to have a split signal and only distort one side, so you still have your clean punch and attack in the distorted sound. I would try to mess with the Direct Mix and Compressor parameters on the amp profile block - that'll give you a parallel unprocessed sound, which for bass is usually acceptable (as compared to guitar which NEEDS some compression/EQ/etc).

• I've also played around with Andy and Armin's "Clean" profiles and they work well for my 4003 too.

Maybe not "classic" Bass amp, but allows the innate tone of the Bass to come through a la DI.

But that's for recording. Live, I do not know. Really depends on the speakers it's going to if not direct PA, no?

Unless you have an FRFR speaker/monitor, it's not going to sound like it does on the KPA through headphones. In which case, what I'd do is try a bunch of Till's cabinets and see if mix/matching one will make your Cabinet sound close to what you want and you can tweak from there.

• Fair point about studio vs live, but keep in mind that most live sound guys use DI for bass anyway...if you can find an "acceptable" monitoring situation for yourself with the KPA on the stage, you'll at least be able to send a 'mic'd bass amp' feed to the sound guy for the FOH mix....which in my experience is very rare, but usually damn good sounding! Food for thought at least....

• Thanks guys. I'm struggling to get that low end and crispy tops from my kemper. I guess it's down toplaing with the eq though the standard eq doesn't really cut it for bass guitar. Maybe the centre frequency for bass mid treble and presence are set for guitarists. Having said this I love the unit. It's just setting it up for a bass player.

• Thanks guys. I'm struggling to get that low end and crispy tops from my kemper. I guess it's down toplaing with the eq though the standard eq doesn't really cut it for bass guitar. Maybe the centre frequency for bass mid treble and presence are set for guitarists. Having said this I love the unit. It's just setting it up for a bass player.

the tonestack EQ next to the Amplifier slot is indeed 'voiced' for guitar.
    just use the Studio EQ or Graphic EQ instead. especially the two fully parametric bands in the Studio EQ are quite powerful.
    quite a few bass players - including some pretty big names - are using the Profiler live and in the studio.
    the mix control in the Compressor section for example is a blessing for bass players.

• I'll. give it a go.would be nice to change it for bass though. Does anyone know of any video tutorials that systematically takes you through the unit?

• Sig?

Nature :D

Not a bass player, but I know a common thing for bass is to have a split signal and only distort one side, so you still have your clean punch and attack in the distorted sound.

I think CK mentioned this in a recent post; maybe in a future update

To me, any improvement for bass players will be appreciated

• I haven't seen the perfect fast-attack solid state profile yet, but I can recommend these 2 for rounder or edgier sounds:

Valve Preamp - Liquid Avalon737 - free on the rig exchange, by Downfall Studios. Sounds almost identical to my STT-1 in VT mode.

Ampeg SVT Blueline + 8x10 - SVT Crunch Bass - virtually free (less than 3 Euros), available here - http://sonicunderground.bigcar…mpeg-svt-blueline-profile

Head and shoulders above the rest IMO.