Not happy with the solo sound

• Is it just me or is this another of those aimless posts that starts with getting a bad sound or similar? Then goes round in circles rather than using the suggestions given?

No idea of guitar, profile used, monitors, set up - really nothing of any real value.

The first 9 or 10 posts have given pretty direct ideas. Why don't you try some of these and reply where necessary? This should be in the trouble shooting forum in any case. :huh:

Hey. Dude. I'm getting dressed right now and I was wondering ... could you tell me what color socks I should be wearing today?

• Is it just me or is this another of those aimless posts that starts with getting a bad sound or similar? Then goes round in circles rather than using the suggestions given?

No idea of guitar, profile used, monitors, set up - really nothing of any real value.

The first 9 or 10 posts have given pretty direct ideas. Why don't you try some of these and reply where necessary? This should be in the trouble shooting forum in any case. :huh:

I don't know but I would call your post pretty aimless if anything.

I figured that with at least one of the 100 profiles in the Kemper would sound good playing solos, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's supposed to sound cold and harsch and you would have to tweak the living hell out of it to get a decent sound, is that what you are saying? If not, well then I would appreciate some help on what I could have been doing wrong.

• I figured that with at least one of the 100 profiles in the Kemper would sound good playing solos, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's supposed to sound cold and harsch and you would have to tweak the living hell out of it to get a decent sound, is that what you are saying? If not, well then I would appreciate some help on what I could have been doing wrong.

Hey
    Sorry to repeat myself, but how can you expect people to tell you what you are doing wrong if you don't give more details?
    (don't mean to offend you)
    This is probably the most helpful forum I've seen

• Please move this post to the trouble shooting forum

Excuse me Mr BossyPants, but this is not a troubleshooting incident and therefore his post does not belong in the Troubleshooting forum. The OP is not complaining about a malfunction in the device. He is attempting to match a tone he heard on a video and is seeking advice on doing that. He has posted his request in the appropriate place.

• [old man's mode on]

Is it just my impression or this forum is slowly going to loose the friendly atmosphere it used to have?

Sorry, I don't want to teach anyone how to lead their life, but it seems to me that some people have started to take their grudges and/or belligerency when they log in.

Probably an unavoidable effect of the (numeric) growth of this community :|

[old man's mode off]

• This makes a lot of sense to me.
    Danniee has just asked for some advice. He might have not provided a lot of information, but maybe he wanted to keep it general, I don't know. In any case, I hardly see the need to get harsh and bash him.

• I figured that with at least one of the 100 profiles in the Kemper would sound good playing solos, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's supposed to sound cold and harsch and you would have to tweak the living hell out of it to get a decent sound, is that what you are saying? If not, well then I would appreciate some help on what I could have been doing wrong.

Hi! As someone suggested, some recordings of the best solo tone you can get and information about the profiles you used could be very useful to help you.

There are many profiles useful for solo sound both in the factory presets and in the Rig Exchange but many profiles are very good raw amp tones and you will have to add your favorite effects and eq tweaks to get a more processed solo tone like the one you posted.

Check Guenterhass suggestions, these 3 are free:

- Kemper-presets: Soldano SLO 100/3, TAF JCM800

- Rig Exchange: MarkV (Bjorn Gottfridsson)

And the ones in this thread too:

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…age=Thread&threadID=14657

Please let us know about your opinion after trying them.

Saludos!

• This has got a bit out of hand,look, if I've offended anyone - I apologise.Thats not what I meant. Danniee please give us a wee bit more and you will no doubt get the help you need. Elvisscottyandbill, I like you in those lucky blue socks!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• danniie, are you monitoring exclusively with headphones?

Turn up the space parameter! You'll find it sounds so much more 3D in those earcups!

Also, I find a lot of the stock profiles are plain vanilla. Add a bit of reverb and delay to make those solos a bit fatter.

And the rest of you guys causing trouble... Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it... That's right, go wax the dolphin and relax, we're all friends here ^^

• Asking for help and not giving feedback to the people trying to help you be considered "not nice" by many people... This is probably the origing of those "not nice" posts.

• I use a pretty basic setup I think. The Kemper connected with audio cables to my PCI-audio card (M-Audio Delta) which I've never had a problem with and it sounds perfectly fine. It doesn't really matter if I play the solo through my DAW or connect headphones directly to the Kemper, it sounds the same - a bit harsch and cold. The profiles sound amazing when just rocking out, but the solo sound I am not happy with at all. I think I had better luck with some of my VST plugins. I tried different guitars, Fender, Gibson but it sounds the same. Play live with my little Blackstar amp and it sounds warmer somehow.

...and I dunno why some here are getting so upset. I'm not here to slag Kemper. I love it. Best buy I ever did for my studio. I was just expecting a bit more out of the solo sound, but I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong.

• Post some recording so we can hear what you get with VST and the KPA so we can help you find a solution.

• I could probably do that when I have time, was more wondering if anyone had the same experience or if it seems as if something's wrong. I mean, when you record solos do you feel like you have to add effects and such or do you just go with the basic amp.

• hey.

what monitors are you using?

the Profiler does have quite a bit of higher frequency content, just like a mic'ed tube amp, which might be surprising, when you mainly used VsT plugins (that always sound kinda dull to me) or a 'amp in the room'-setup, where the speaker obviously isn't pointed directly at your ears.

you can try this to make a sound fuller:
    reduce Definition
    add Clarity
    add Mids (try both the pre and post amp settings)

the Green scream is prtty much the quintessential Solo booster, gain and tone-wise.
    just remember, that -2.5 on the Tone control is the noon setting of the hardware, so if you like your leads thick and meaty (like me) use a setting around -2.5 maybe even lower.

record a short exsample and post it here, so we have a frame of reference.

• I could probably do that when I have time, was more wondering if anyone had the same experience or if it seems as if something's wrong. I mean, when you record solos do you feel like you have to add effects and such or do you just go with the basic amp.

effects, as in chorus, phaser, delay, reverb... no, you don't need those for a good lead sound.
    they are the final touches, no more.

drive stomps (boosters, ODs, distortions) and EQs on the other hand can almost change the way an amp responds and behaves, so yes, they are quite commonly used to achieve lead sounds.

still, I can pretty much tweak any profile into a solo/lead variation quickly without a problem with just the Amp parameters - and that's because it's so easily done, not because I have superior skills. (I don't) ;)

• If you're still on the look out for a great solo profile:

Bulb Lead Patch, Author: Justin

Comes pretty close to the one in the video in my opinion.

Cheers