M Britt Kemper Profiles

• been planning to buy the Tweed Pack. I may put it off and go colonial instead!!

I've got both - if you have to choose, Colonial is a good choice but I don't think you would be disappointed with the Tweed pack either. Love the Twin, but that may be a purely subjective preference based on my past ownership, lol!

• The tweed is a fantastic pack too and, if you want tweed sounds then that's the right choice...... they for sure do things that the Colonial doesn't. It's just that, for the versatility I need right now, it's a better fit for what's required and the quality is top-notch :) Depends what you want though - there are so many profiles out there of high quality these days that there aren't really a bunch of 'bad ones'. It's just ones that suit your personal tastes and ones that don't and I think the Colonial just covers a heck of a lot of ground really well :)

• I have to wonder if the guitar Michael tends to use to profile makes them work so well for me?

By which I mean you dial in the amp till it sounds good with the guitar you happen to be using. Then you profile it. He uses a P90 equipped beast for the most part I think?

My most-used guitars are a P90 equipped Tokai gold top and a PRS Stripped '58. Both have vintage-style pickups and just seem to work with the profiles he makes and my personal taste.

I guess I really ought to get a guitar with high output pickups on it for a bit of variety but it's difficult to crave more variety when you can go from squeaky clean to death metal with the toaster anyway! Flawed logic obviously as all the (low output) guitars I have exhibit their unique character through the profiles so obviously a metal machine axe would do likewise!

• Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one digging the Colonial profiles and Tweedy Pack.

And Gary_W, I actually dial in most of my amps for profiling with my Anderson Hollow T believe it or not. I end up recording the clips and doing final tweaks with the Cobra with P90's but the Hollow T bridge pickup (TD3 I think) is just a monster of a pickup because it has the Tele elements but it's got a little more output and more bottom so that it hangs sonically with my P90 guitars but with a Tele clarity. The Hollow T is really my reference guitar. I feel that it falls somewhere between vintage strats and humbuckers (not hot ones) so if I dial the amp in for that guitar it should be close so that some minor tweaking should get players near the sound they want. The only times I dial in amps with a different guitar is if it's a higher gain amp, in which case I'll use something with humbuckers. I use the Cobra with P90's for clips because it gets a bit more variety of tones, including the bridge/middle strat tones and classic rock P90 tones. I tend to like hotter single coils and lower output humbuckers so that everything has a similar output so I can change guitars in our live set without having to re-eq everything.

• Hey Michael, My band is doing " Living In Fast Forward" what profile would you use , I can't nail this simple tone.. Thanks Paul

I just listened to that song and it just sounds like a medium gain marshall or even tweedy tone with a little bit of chorus or mild pitch shift. I'd start with the 72 Marshall profile if you have that. Maybe throw some Nashville compressor on it. ;) Turn the gain up enough to get the crunch you need but listen to the double-stops and make sure they're not sounding like poop and find the happy spot. Happy hunting!

• Thanks for that Michael - whatever you're doing it on, I really like it on my P90 and the PRS..... Both those guitars have similarly low-ish output pickups. My understanding is that the original PAF's were supposed to sound like the P90's of the day without the hum so were wound to a similar hotness (is that a word??). The 57/08 pickups in my PRS are supposed to be wound on the thighs of a virgin who once knew Les Paul.

Or something like that anyway. Whatever the marketing BS, they sound mighty fine so I'm not complaining and the stock P90's in the Tokai are lovely too. It's great when you get a guitar that is just what you hoped for off the shelf and don't have to do anything to it apart from change the strings occasionally and stick it through decent profiles :)

• Thanks for that Michael - whatever you're doing it on, I really like it on my P90 and the PRS..... Both those guitars have similarly low-ish output pickups. My understanding is that the original PAF's were supposed to sound like the P90's of the day without the hum so were wound to a similar hotness (is that a word??). The 57/08 pickups in my PRS are supposed to be wound on the thighs of a virgin who once knew Les Paul.

Or something like that anyway. Whatever the marketing BS, they sound mighty fine so I'm not complaining and the stock P90's in the Tokai are lovely too. It's great when you get a guitar that is just what you hoped for off the shelf and don't have to do anything to it apart from change the strings occasionally and stick it through decent profiles :)

I just picked up a PRS Studio with a 57/08 in it and it does sound very low output and bright, like an old PAF. Not sure about the thighs of a virgin part but it sounds good nonetheless. ;) I swapped out the 57/08 to a 59/09 for this weekend's shows to try it and I think I like the 59/09 better in that particular guitar. I usually swap pickups out on most guitars until I find one that just sounds great with that guitar and it gives me an outlet to dink around with gear since I'm not dinking with pedals and amps since getting my Kemper. :)

• Ah, I still scratch that 'fiddling around' itch by making the odd pedal. I just managed to get three germanium transistors that have decent leakage and decent gains so I'm putting the finishing touches on a fuzz pedal that also has a rangemaster in it....

Before I had my Kemper, this was my pedal board. 8 of the pedals on there were home made. None of the internal designs were mine - I'm not bright enough in that direction to do that. But building them and making them look nice I can do :)

[Blocked Image: http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a634/Gary_W_/Double%206%20Build/pedalboardnight_1_zps16ea56ab.jpg]

• Your pedals do look nice. The pedals I've built don't look that nice at all, but I'm just always surprised when they work and when they sound good. I've made a few different gain pedals from kits and made modifications. Any of the profiles with the word "Red" in it means that I used one of my modified Marshall Guv'nor circuit pedals.

• I just picked up a PRS Studio with a 57/08 in it and it does sound very low output and bright, like an old PAF. Not sure about the thighs of a virgin part but it sounds good nonetheless. ;) I swapped out the 57/08 to a 59/09 for this weekend's shows to try it and I think I like the 59/09 better in that particular guitar. I usually swap pickups out on most guitars until I find one that just sounds great with that guitar and it gives me an outlet to dink around with gear since I'm not dinking with pedals and amps since getting my Kemper. :)

When you swap out pickups, do you hardwire/solder them or put in a quick-release clip on both wires?

• I've been using nothing but the Colonial lately! Strange but true :)

Most of what I've been doing of late has been for a set I'm working on with a covers band where we're doing bits of 70's to modern day. It's great to have a profile monster full of cool sounds but TBH I've not needed to move away from these profiles for a set that's got everything from Abba and La Belle to Queen via the B52s and Blur...

... In total I'm only actually using 3 of the profiles and they're covering the lot with a booster on the stomp and in-house effects. Quiet, dynamic and just sound the mutt's nuts. As ever with the profiler, the react beautifully to picking dynamics and the pots on your guitar.

Ever since I've owned the Profiler (for 3 years), I've had profile-itis and always tried to have many multiple profiles for a gig. I've never mastered most of them AFA eq settings. Reacquainting myself with the Colonial has me taking Gary's approach. For the next gig I'll use only the Colonial which lets me get to know it better and how it responds to volume control and picking changes. Using a Telecaster with Duncan Quarter Pounders should work for clean single coil and heavier tunes (AC/DC is as heavy as we go).

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• @lonestargtr
    Hi, I'm a fan of your work, thank you all the profiles, I've been using pack 1,2, vintage and modern. They've kept me busy for years ) I been looking for a good Z Wreck profile, any chance you're going to do one soon? I'd be over the moon if you could do it with it's matching cab in some of it's well known signature settings, the good folks over at Ztalk would definitely have a definitive list as it's a versatile beast. Really looking for some nice BP like tones. Hope you get your hands one one soon )

• I've been a happy user of MBritt profiles for a long time. I have used lot of different profiles from Rig Packs 1, 2 & 3. I play in two different cover bands and I have always found the right profile to fit the purpose.

My favorites have been so far the JTM45 2, 67 lowman 3&4, /13 clean profiles and the Crazy Eddie 5153.

I haven't really tried anything new for a long time so I decided to download the 800 pack on last Sunday. OMG! I took my R7 Les Paul and spent hours to jam just with the first profile of J800, I did not even try the other ones yet! What a tone and dynamics! Definitely gonna try that out next time when I play 80's metal songs with my friends. Many thanks @lonestargtr!