Checking out power amps...

• Right folks, I'm looking at buying a power amp for my next Kemper (probably unpowered rack), I'm looking for a cheap and portable solution that will allow me to use cabs when necessary. At the moment kemper goes to FOH and we usually use Alto TS115As for monitoring but a few venues prefer to mic up cabs, so we would like to have that option. I'm looking at the magnum 44 as well which looks promising. In this band I primarily play hard rock/metal with cleans here/there, do you think the 44 would have enough headroom? Also open to suggestions for other power amps, although not the matrix series as they are out of budget.

• I've got a 44 Magnum and it's fucking LOUD. I can't turn it up very far without things falling off my shelves. However, if I had the extra cash, my first choice would definitely have been an ISP Stealth.

As it happens, I also own a Crate Powerblock... it's alright, but not the best-sounding amp in the world. It also has no volume control if you're running direct in (via the Effect Return, to bypass the preamp), which may or may not be annoying.

• I would definitely recommend the Magnum 44 , it sounds beast.. and it's very light and small.
    The only thing i don't like about it it's the lack of a standby - power off button , so every time you want to switch off/ on you have to unplug it from the power outlet , but that doesn't really affect on the quality of the product.

• I'm playing my 19" Kemper trough a Rocktron Velocity 120.
    Build in a 4HE lightweight Rack.
    Very neutral sounding and Lord enough to blow your ears away.
    The definition knob is very useable to bring a Little More bite in the Sound when needed.

• Thanks for all the replies guys, I play primarily metal but with a few clean/crunch sections so a bit more headroom would probably be better. If only they did a Magnum 88! I'll have a look at the velocity, although I've heard it can be quite noisy?

• As it happens, I also own a Crate Powerblock... it's alright, but not the best-sounding amp in the world. It also has no volume control if you're running direct in (via the Effect Return, to bypass the preamp), which may or may not be annoying.

This is only 6 months late but what the hey :)
    New user here, I just got my KPA a week ago, and Ive got the Powerblock too. Just a quick FYI: you need to run the KPA into the CD input of the Crate, otherwise you get the Crates build-in speaker simulation.

• I'm a happy ISP Stealth user. Sits in the gig bag for most shows but it has been pulled out to run a real cab at rehearsals etc on many occasions. Very handy.
    If your looking for a stand alone portable power amp on the cheap (ie: used), I'd be looking to pick one up before the 3.0 FW release, as I suspect finding a good deal online for used one (whichever small poweramp your looking at) might become a bit tougher with the increased interest the DI profiling will bring.

• I'm definitely considering one of the Stealth units with the rack mounts. Looks like the perfect setup for using a cab and my non-powered rack. Price is great as well.

• The pdf says with respect to using the DI profile that should be exactly like the pre-amp and power amp profiled, "The result is thus highly authentic, and ready to be amplified by a solid-state amp, orthe optional, built-in class- D power amp of the PowerHead and PowerRack." This has me searching for a power amp as well. I want one in stereo. The Camplifier stereo one would be nice, but by the time I get it shipped to the USA and pay the extra exchange rate it would probably cost $500. Not that it's out of the question, but for that money, there are many other choices. So, I've looked into the ISP stealth, Matrix GT800, Carvin DCM200L, EHX Magnum (would need two). Because it specifically says "solid-state" amp, I would think that you would want a power amp that will not color the sound (otherwise, why not use my Mesa Boogie 20/20P stereo tube power amp). I'm thinking that the ISP and the EHX and the Matrix have been tonally colored to be more like a tube amp, with breaking up characteristics etc. tailored to guitarists. What do you guys think the characteristics to look for are? Shouldn't I be looking for a clean solid-state power amp? Having said that, what is recommended.

• This is the even better statement that has me concerned about the type of power amp you would want to have to use the DI profile to play through your own speakers: "When this profile is later run by the Profiler's internal class-D power-amp, or a separate solid-state power-amp, into a guitar
    speaker, it will faithfully recreate the sound and feel of the original tube-amp.". I would think using any power amp that tries to be more like a tube guitar power amp may sound fine, but you then won't sound exactly like the original tube amp (preamp and power amp).

The matrix says "Using premium quality components and high quality MosFets allows the GT800FX to give a sound that many users have compared to high end valve power amps"

ISP Stealth says: "The STEALTH is based on analog class A/B amplifier design for excellent sonic and saturated clipping performance, not found with Class D power amplifiers and will exceed the stringent tone characteristics of the professional guitarist.

The EHX says: "The new 44 Magnum guitar amp head provides 44 watts of clean and natural power but can also deliver a true amplifier overdrive at the turn of a knob."

Edited once, last by djazz ().

• The ISP is not made to clip. When they state "excellent sonic and saturated clipping performance" I can only assume they are attempting to say that it has "excellent performance at avoiding saturated clipping".

I've never been able to make mine noticeably clip. It has crazy amounts of headroom. I run mine through a 2x12 and have never gone above noon on the dial in full rock band rehearsal. The Stealth is not designed to emulate/simulate anthing. Its extremely transparent imo.