Kemper Remote Vids

• That a key observation: Time

I heard a report, maybe an TED talk or something, about the high cost of college text books. A professor who chose the books and one who also wrote one himself both mentioned "time" as being the most important factor in choosing a text book. They said that college kids have so little time that the faster they can get information and feedback (from practice test questions) from a college text the "better" it was. The thing is, such programming costs for online testing and feedback add to the cost and so it's not unheard of to see $300 text books. The book may cost $50 for the author, but the programming and profit to the text seller are the rest. And most of that is due to the fact that the book sells one year only as there are almost no purchases the next year (as kids recycle them to new students) so it doesn't make sense to sell the same book version twice, which is why they make a new version each year.

• One of the continuing complaints, regarding the value proposition, is: it's only a box with a bunch of switches and leds.

Firstly, unless you have had a hand in the design, there is no one, outside of the Kemper team, qualified to make that assumption/assertion.

From my conversations at NAMM, I believe that there is much more happening - under the hood, as it were - than what people are using as a chief "point" in framing the "what should it actually cost" argument.

And, then, largely ignored, is the seamless integration with the Kemper. I mentioned, in another post, about the soon to be released Rig Manager, and it's newly implemented management of Performances. What other floor controller can, or will be able to change performance order and composition on the KPA, and have it instantly reflected on the floor controller? Answer: none. As you type a rig name, for example, it's instantly mirrored, in real time, on the Remote.

If you play in more than one band, with different music types, i.e.: contry and top-40, you will be able, via the Rig Manager, to instantly, totally refresh the "content" and functionality of the Remote! I don't know about others, but for me personally, that's huge.

I was originally skeptical about the suitability of the Remote for my use (I have both a GCP and a Midi Raider), but after seeing it and considering all of the benefits, I signed up for one on the early bird list.

Dollars (euros) are dollars. And while desireable, it may not be affordable for some. I get that. But to bash it due to price - when you actually have absolutely no idea how it's made, what it costs to manufacture, how much the shipping cost is, how much margin the various distributors will require to even stock it, etc., it short-sighted.

• There are many valid points here imo...I also a big value I get from this site is...it's one of if not the best (not perfect, I'm guilty myself) for open differing opinions. Sometimes hard to market for everyone, yes including price.... but currently being fully implemented for my toaster needs she's gonna be a part of my stage. I tend to look at gear prices against other things I waste $$$ on. Drinks, trips, Harley parts, my jacked up Cummins, my boat (all used and old lol!!) and realize I could have had this instead of that and so on....no gear has ever been reasonably priced for what we as musicians bring home, that's one thing that seems to ever be increased. Anyway love the effects toggling!!!! first time I saw that stated...and the foot print....my size 14's can turn on everything at once!!! Think of the noise joy I will be producing!!! Adrian Belew look out!!

• Here's another from Audiofanzine. This one has Mr. Kemper himself explaining how the Kemper Remote works.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Excellent design and explanation CK

• -Dlaut-
    Pretty much everything you pointed out is done through the KPA, not the remote. The remote just allows you to do it from a distance is all.

The remote is just that, a remote. It has no meat and potatoes of its own.

Alone it does nothing. With any other device it does nothing.

It is switches and a display screen.

I don't think you will find many to argue its usefulness. That is for sure. You can tell that by how they are disappointed in the price. Because they want one.

• On a side note, does anybody else pick up a little bit of Peter Lorre in CKs accent in the video?

It is very slight. Certainly not as animated Peters.

I think Peter was German too, maybe that is why.

• I value you it in time. My time and ease of use is worth a lot I don't want to be messing about with programming, or trying to guess what button is assigned to what effect. I personally will probably not use the looper and don't care to much for it. Integration and time wise to me it is worth every penny.

I am right there with you on this. I have had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to set up my Ground Control Pro with the Kemper and have given up as I have no gigs scheduled as of right now.

I am all about ease of implementation. I am a husband, father of 2 teenagers, a salaried employee (lots of work hours) and now gigging semi-regularly. My free time is at a premium so for me, the price is worth it to know I can plug and play whenever I want.

I am sure the GCP might be fairly easy to program once I get the hang of it but I got very frustrated very quickly.

Additionally, I love the idea of not having to have ANY power source attached to my board. Since the remote shows the full tuner display I can leave that and my VooDoo Lab ISO-5 at home.

• Price depends on so many perspectives. It's cheaper than the MFC101, so it's not the most expensive for it's specific market of integrated foot controller for an amp simulation, and more expensive than other third party universal foot controllers. To my knowledge no other foot controller can program multiple effects to be turned on/off at the same time for the Kemper and perhaps we will see more such specific integration in the future.

It's hard to compare the Remote to the MFC because the MFC is also a standalone MIDI controller, a very powerful and versatile one at that, miles ahead of a GCP for instance. The KPR only works with the Kemper. I still have an MFC leftover from my Axe FX days because if I ever decide to go back to a MIDI rig I'd end up buying another. Also any controller that is capable of sending multiple CC commands with a single button can toggle multiple effects at once in the KPA.

That said, I'm still getting a Remote for the same reason I got an MFC for the Axe: complete integration, cable consolidation, and ease of programming.

• [quote='vablows','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/18272-Kemper-Remote-Vids/?postID=196044&#post196044']I really don't get the negativity towards my opinion.

I went to the booth 3 times yesterday at NAMM, and played with the remote for well over 45 minutes, and while it is very nice it just isn't for me right now.

Can you tell, if the LED are bright enough for a brightly illuminated stage or daylight-stages on open-air-festivals ?

• Good video from NAMM of CK himself describing the KPA for newbies. Scroll to 3:30 to check out the Remote:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/quote]

Pretty good summation video.
    I actually picked up a thing or two even though I have had mine for a year.
    I didn't know you could hold down the stomp buttons to get directly into its settings.
    I always took the long way around through the menu.I have mostly just used rigs as they are.
    I am now starting to delve a little deeper in anticipation of the remote, rig manager changes, and hopefully the editor.
    I also just got the DVP-3 pedal. So far it seems really nice.

Damn you Amaze-B !
    I just finished typing in my post and hit submit....
    it didn't work because you edited and moved the video on me while I was posting this comment.

• Lots of valid points for/against the price of the KFC. There is also the longevity of the product to consider. How many versions of the Boss modelers have been out, almost every other year. AxeFX also along with all the other Technology related products. I believe that there is a decent return on your investment in this product with Kemper's support and long term commitment to the KPA. If Kemper decided to build another unit for the DI 3.0 firmware and stated that our units wouldn't handle it, they would be selling for $800 a piece.. Swallow that loss in a couple years. I would not stand for being on the Fractal ship and having a new unit coming out every couple years. Same with all the midi foot controllers in the market. They can do their share today but tomorrow who knows.

Oh yeah, 3 year warranty :thumbup:

All IMO and no I don't make enough to pay for it by the time I push the button, but I did order one. Signing out

Edited once, last by Zapman ().

• Thats been why I like being a customer of Kemper's product/s. From what I've read about the Access Virus I see iterations at the pace of a new product every 5 years perhaps but it was technology and user driven and all supported along the way and all products usable.

There is a FEEL associated with a small company that in THIS case you know you're getting constant development from user feedback as well as their own rollout direction and that they are supporting YOUR device and not planning to make it obsolete in a few short years.

I had UAD hardware and plugins and they abandon their wares in a few short years turning your equity into dust. 11R not being supported was frustrating. I had the Fractal ULTRA and it was an amazing unit, but it was unsupported when I bought it, so it was frozen as-is. I thought it was an incredible product which had a niche and could serve that niche for easily a decade but alas I was like a farm gate swinging in the wind.

So given the Access history, I feel confidant that the KPA and now the KPR will be supported EVEN if there is a KPA II in a few years. Mine won't be obsolete because Kemper has my back. Who else today can you say this about? So THAT is what you're paying for.

• Unless they redesign the guitar entirely the Kemper will always be useful. Guitar music has been basically what it is for a very long time. New products will generally just add more effects, ease of use, etc.
    Nothing earth shattering..... until now. All amps in one little box! What would be next? Faster boot time? More effects, Connectivity? The core of it will just still be the same so the Kemper should never be obsolete if you think about it.
    Amps can be obsolete because they are big and heavy.....Just like books which are also now digital.

No......not a Kemper 2. Please no. Not another couple grand. This one is fine. Let it be. Just keep updating this one until it cant take it no more.

I am not ready for another one................yet.

• I can see many such things.

1) The KPA is a linux OS so there could be a future "Sleep Mode" so bootup is SSD short. Important to those who gig.
    2) Composite Profiles so that the gain structure is truer to the amp via one profile instead of a few separate ones.
    3) Faster speeds and more crunch power to perform multiple complex effects with low latency
    4) More flexibility in effect placement. For example, at the ability to have 2 delays.
    5) Double amps. The power to route and crunch 2 amps at a time.

I could go on, but I can easily see a KPA II that has this and so requires more crunching power. Would I buy one? Maybe. Maybe not. Might not personally need it, but computing speeds improve, their parts get cheaper and so more can be offered.

But the beauty is we do not HAVE to upgrade because Kemper will still support the KPA if the history of the company is a good analogy.