Humidity&Heat vs. Electirc Guitars.

• Ok so after doing some research I pretty much came up either empty or inconclusive about what level of humidity and heat is perfect for my beautiful e-guitars.

What is your experience? Which levels of humidity are fully ok and which arent and what about heat?

Hope you guys can help me out, this is getting frustrating. I don´t want to hurt my beauties ;(

• I think its more about the change in temps that can effect guitars. Taking them outside to put in the truck for a gig then playing them in a hot pub then back in the truck to take them home again. As for what temp to leave them at i would say room temp about 18-20 degrees. I think good guitar builders take this all in to consideration when they produce them. So i dont think you have to worry to much, but i may be wrong. Just dont leave them up against a radiator or anything thats going to get really hot.

• So the humidity isn´t even a factor with e-guitars? I can´t imagine that since they are made out of wood aswell.

As for what you said about the temperatur, I think that makes perfect sense and is some great advice, thanks!

• Totally agree Raoul23. It's sudden temperature differences that can cause the damage. Advice l was given, was to leave guitars in their cases for as long as possible ( once they've been brought from one temperature to another ie freezing cold night to hot club) to acclimatize before opening.
    I guess humidity would be a problem for some, but as l dwell in the UK l wouldn't have any idea about that
    As for leaning a guitar on a radiator? Is anyone really that solid?

• Humidity is a PITA with acoustic guitars as they are made from much thinner wood that's not protected from the elements and can suck up and release water like noone's business. Electrics are thick slabs of wood drenched in pore filler and paint and lacquer and therefore much sturdier with regards to humidity.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Yeah, I'd go that way with electrics. Also keep the cases away from heatsources and direct sunlight.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Yeah, I'd go that way with electrics. Also keep the cases away from heatsources and direct sunlight.

Only other thing is keep non laquered fingerboards oiled occasionally. Fixed many where it has dried out, shrunk and frets start to stick out the sides and/or loosen. Probably been left too near radiators in or out of case! (I'm in UK too).

Steve

• True dat. I was only referring to heat/humidity, not general guitar TLC. ;)

• It's Tender Loving Care, meaning you need to take some basic care of your guitar no matter how cheap or expensive. ;)

Keeping the non-lacquered fretboards in shape requires keeping them from drying out and there are many products on the market that do just that. Lemon oil is just one of them, for example.

• I've been a luthier for 40 yrs and would suggest boiled (not raw) linseed oil for the unfinihed fingerboard. Ebony, not as much Rosewood, will split if it gets too dry.
    And especially if your guitar is finished with laquer I would avoid high humidity, as the wood will swell and split or check the finish. :)

• I've been a luthier for 40 yrs and would suggest boiled (not raw) linseed oil for the unfinihed fingerboard. Ebony, not as much Rosewood, will split if it gets too dry.
    And especially if your guitar is finished with laquer I would avoid high humidity, as the wood will swell and split or check the finish. :)

Oh, thanks a lot for that insight! Thats some solid information!

• I want to add that humidity is not unimportant to electrics as well.
    Below 50% fretboards do shrink and you can already feel it on the fret ends starting to stand out.
    Also if you have guitars with nitro laquered finish these don't like it below 50% either. The laquer gets little cracks.

• Stable humidity is essential to all wooden instruments and should be kept between 50% and 70%. Boutique builders such as John Suhr and Tom Anderson say that they keep their workshops and inventory of timber at about 60% humidity which then also would be the ideal environment to store their finished products. The ideal temperature for storage is supposed to be around 17C. Anywhere from 16C to 22C is ok with the right humidity so it is ok to have a room with living-room temperature and a humidifier for your guitars.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• My guitars stay in a controlled room at 45% humidity and 21 celsius/69.8 f . I have many Gibsons with nitro finishes and zero cracking/checking or fret sprout. Plus, they stay in tune for longer.

• So I measured the temp and humidity in my cases and one was at 40-43% and the other was 46%. Any product out there that can controll the humidity in my cases? I looked into the planet waves humidipak but it seems like it´s more for acoustics since it has to be put INTO the guitar.

• My guitar was just made for me in July and I had to adjust the truss rod any time I got her out in extreme cold or heat for the first 6 months, that's normal. In Florida it's anywhere from 30-100 and always wet. If it's a quality build don't get too stressed if the action goes crazy on you, use your back up for the show, hang it up again when you get home and enjoy the thing.

• So I measured the temp and humidity in my cases and one was at 40-43% and the other was 46%. Any product out there that can controll the humidity in my cases? I looked into the planet waves humidipak but it seems like it´s more for acoustics since it has to be put INTO the guitar.

Just get some silica gel or dessicant and stuff it in your guitar case. It will keep things nice and preserved. Works wonders especially if you live near the sea, where the salt in the air can really rust up your instrument.