* fixed * ..... KPA really needs a much better EFX Slot Compressor ..... * fixed *

• I think we're trying to achieve more flexibility.
    The Profiler's compressor is to be very flexible if it is to rival the market of analog offerings and replace our pedalboards.
    It needs to be able to produce a long-attack, slow-release compression to add 'snap', some medium values with lower ratio to be more transparent, some low values with even lower ratio to increase sustain -
    these are all traits that are rarely seen in any one pedal, but often seen on digital gear because we'd like to see the Profiler as a replacement for our entire rigs.

I do think an additional single 'character' parameter to change from {long attack, short release, high ratio} to {short attack, long release, low ratio} could solve everyone's issues.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• That may be good,
    But that doesn't help with the colour of the effect.
    Different compressors colour the sound in different ways.
    Having the compressor in the Kemper programmed to add no colour suggests that the colour isn't important. If that was the case, we would only ever need one amplifier! One that cleanly amplifies our guitars with no colouring of the signal.
    Placing an eq before or after the Kemper comp will not replicate the colour added by a Dynacomp, because the colour is non linear. That may be a fault in the design, or of the components, but witchever it is, it's a sound we have come acostomed to and enjoy.
    Imagine if you can, a Beatles album recorded with compressors that don't heavily colour the sound.....

Not right is it?

• I'm surprised Don hasn't mentioned this, but if you want a more transparent compressor, the "compression" amp block parameter is worth a shot.

That said, I honestly wouldn't mind a higher end compressor like a Joemeek FloorQ - I own one and it's a very sweet compressor that can be set to compress very transparently like the OP wants.

• Imagine if you can, a Beatles album recorded with compressors that don't heavily colour the sound.....
    Not right is it?

You don't honestly expect the compressor to emulate every single type of a-linearity ever conceived, do you?
    You can use the shapers to emulate saturation but obviously, non-ideal systems are far more complex than can ever be emulated.

Then again, if i was that much of a feinschmecker, i'd bring my pedalboard - profiler or no profiler.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Is there a volume control (like most/all of the stomp effects) to mix in how much of the compressor effect you want? I would think this would make it more like a parallel compressor effect.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I will vote for some additional characteristic of the OPTO (LDR) based compressor. I have build my own DIY Green Forest compressor with LDR and it has very nice subtle compression effect(with characteristic attack and release time (non regulated - depended on LDR and some RC elements used in circuit) . But i do not agree that KPA have bad sounding compression algorithm. For digital simulation you will need an interpolation curve's of amplitude vs time vs different attack amplitudes ( like nebula algorithm) - it is not easy to implement.
    here is example of my build Forest Green compressor(clean direct guitar) (and if any one is interested here is a PCB and schematics http://freestompboxes.org/view…php?f=7&t=10725&start=120)

FX ON : 0:12

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• From my perspective / ears I don't think there is any value or benefit in tweaking the exisiting EFX slot comp.

It is clearly modelled on a comp that " is what it is " ........ and that's perfectly fine ........ except that its not a transparent, non-coloring [opto-like] comp....

Much better and moving forward would be a [ hopefully ] sooner-rather-than-later FW update that will come with another EFX Slot comp that is much more transparent and non-coloring :)

Ben

• The compression in the Kemper is the best best compressor I have ever used in my long career as a recording guitarist.
    I have used the ALL the compressors out there, and hands down the Kemper is the best for what I need.
    Not sure what the problem is that a few here are having...
    Its one of the reasons the profiler is what I take to work.
    Bill

• The compression in the Kemper is the best best compressor I have ever used in my long career as a recording guitarist.
    I have used the ALL the compressors out there, and hands down the Kemper is the best for what I need.
    Not sure what the problem is that a few here are having...
    Its one of the reasons the profiler is what I take to work.
    Bill

I'm with you Bill, compressors are very important to me and I've done some extensive AB testing and I enjoy the sound and using the compressor in the kemper just as much as my 3 all time favorite pedal compressors, Diamond comp, Barber tone press and the Wampler EGO. IMO the kemper comp is very versatile, maybe the OP prefers a very specific sounding comp pedal?
    I think it's impossible for any product to ever replicate every users favorite pedals and effects, so a good advice is to hold on to the favorites. :)

Journo (from this forum and TGP) who I think is also a compressor lover posted about a shootout he did and the kemper came out on top.
    link http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…pressor-shootout.1347456/

quote:
    "Kemper wins my compressor shootout
    Hi,
    I just did a compressor shootout where I tried 8 different analog compressors (some of them quite expensive boutique pedals) and none of them stood up to the compressor in the KPA.

I think the compressor in the KPA is outstanding for all kinds of electric guitar and acoustic guitar. And good for bass as well. When I used a traditional pedalboard in the studio I always had at least three compressors on there to cover all the stuff I want to do. Now it's just the KPA that covers both humbuckers and single coils.
    Of course, IMHO and YMMV and IHA (I'm Happy Anyhow).

Cheers,
    Mats N "
    --
    "The M13 compressors were included in addition as an afterthought as was the Boss GS-10 compressors. The original thought was to do an analog shootout to see what pedals I should choose for my revamped pedalboard. Didn't have access to a G5. Sorry!

Here's a list of the analog pedal with personal comments.

Bear Foot PGC (favorite pedal for clean transparent compression with single coils)
    Xotic SP (great pedal for 80 LA style VERY obvious compression)
    Wampler EGO (great all round pedal)
    Frantone Sandwich (favorite analog pedal for clean jazz with humbuckers)
    Barber Tone Press (also great all round pedal)
    Diamond Compressor (favorite pedal for chicken picking)
    Boss CS-3 (included as a mass market comparison and widely used by different level players)
    Boss CS-2 made in Japan (well regarded in some vintage circles)

Cheers,
    Mats N "

• Here is another kemper forum thread by ECma7 with comp settings to replicate Koji and Xotic compressors.
    Kemper Compressor tip

quote:
    "Kemper Compressor tip
    Recently I fell in love with the Suhr Koji Comp.
    One thing that sets is apart from most compressors is the blend knob and voice (eq).
    After playing around with the Kemper comp I was able to pretty much match the Koji comp by using the mix and an EQ after the comp.
    I like to hit the comp hard intensity: 5 - 7 attack: 2.8 squash: 5
    Then use the mix to taste, i use from %50-%65
    Boost the upper mids on the eq after the comp...
    The key is using the mix control.
    Great for clean sounds and in front of an overdrive too

et voila! Koji Comp or Xotic Comp cloned
    Is it as good.... pretty dam close.
    Still I'm keeping the Koji, it has great mojo.
    --
    Just an update.. Sold the Koji Comp
    don't need it anymore."

• Excellent tips above - sound *great* but just not what I am realy after.

........ as a total long shot, I tried telelogic's suggestion of running the EFX Slot Comp in the [post] " X " Slot.

The settings I used are as per the picture below:-

[Blocked Image: http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/gtrotunno/comp_zps4mlphtrp.jpg]

It provides an excellent subtle and gentle clear / clean / transparent compression/limiting effect ..... very, very close to the video demo of the Diamond Yellow Comp [Mooer] clone I posted in the op .... in fact so close, it doesn't matter :)

Works great.

I would *never* have thought of trying the EFX Slot Comp in the " X " slot .......but for the type of comp I was wanting, it works *brilliantly* there ....... go figure :)

Thanks again telelogic and thanks to all for all the other suggestions and tips too.

Ben