Tip #1 Select great profiles

• That clip reminds me why I don't really like Vai's tone very much. Not a commentary on playing prowness but rather I don't like that way over processed Eventide tone that is pretty much the same tone I have heard from everything he has ever done

AOuuuutch. ;(
    It hurts.......

He uses an axe fx and a sustainer in his his guitar for this track. Eventide was yesterday. :)
    cheers from a big fan....

• I am a huuuge Vai-fan. ;)

But I must admit that I liked his Sound with Zappa and most of all his Carvin-Charvel period (like to be heard in the "Crossroads"-movie) much more than his later sound.Allthough I also like the Jem777 very much (had the FP some years).

Anyway.

After thinking about the whole issue (this thread) there are two conclusions for me personally how to choose/select a profile;

1)I will do my own profiles when ever possible.
    2)If not possible the best way for me to select a profile will be what @Armin suggests plus to choose any profile as close to the sound I am searching for as possible.As more as I have to tweak as much it wil be clear that this is not for me.The amp-style,gain and also EQs of any profile should be at least at 95-99% of that what I have in mind before the selection begins.

greetings

• One of my fav is the Jem FP. I have one from 1991. Here are two of my beautys ;)
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/rq6AVE1.jpg?1]

• Nice guitars my friend.I wish I still had my FP.But at some point I was totally bored by any kind of Floyd Rose Superstrat and "lost"/sold all but my ESP.Big mistake.The Jem has a unique crisp and very trasparent clean sound.Unbeatable with a Twin Reverb.

And it is somehow one of the most beautiful guitars when it comes to the composition of colours.

• Ironically having said what I said about my dislike of his current tone (interesting it's an Axe FX tone), I actually was a big fan originally (eighties through whitesnake) and I still own one of his original JEM777 (green with the pyramid inlays) that he played in 87 on his MTV video which was given to me by Steve in 1988. I never play that guitar these days but is still a nostalgic item in my collection for sure. I just wish he would go less processed and more pure amp tone - I have a hard time with to much processing of the pure amp tone.

• I also like Armin's tips. Thanks for posting those! I also agree about Vai's tone, but it's his constant over-whammied sound that irritates me personally - each to his own tastes of course.

Gary ô¿ô

• use a control pedal as 'wha booster' to change the gain by foot on test rigs, my favorite profiles are the one with 3/4 of the gain range being really usable

While testing a batch of similar profiles, if I find that most will sound bad on my gear, I'll lock one of my favorite cab (in a similar amp category). Note it's also worth testing your cabs on great profiles :)

Don't be afraid to tweak the most important amp and cab parameters : definition,clarity and quick store the results.

Change your guitars, It's really amazing how a different guitar or pick-up can drastically alter the rendering of your test profiles.

A simple record test is VERY revelant , especially while double tracking or stacking up the same profile.

• No pb mate : in slot A use the left 'type' knob and set it for 'wah pedal booster' set the pedal range to minus 100. Set the gain knob to it's max ( like 6 ) .

Now you have a great array of tones at the push of your foot :) If your pedal is acting like a volume there is a conflict with the vol pedal settings (system menu).

This trick is great and the only amps known to have a pedal on the gain are some vintage mesa boogie. Now we have it for every amps , thanks M Kemper :)

• If your pedal is acting like a volume there is a conflict with the vol pedal settings (system menu).

Thanks for the assist, man. Apparently I DO have a conflict with the vol pedal settings in system menu. It only acts as a volume pedal, silence on all settings but "wah wah." What am I doing wrong? btw - I am using the Remote.

Thanks for your time. Can't wait to get it working right!

Gary ô¿ô

• OK this is what I have set (just tried it today) and it still is not working except as a volume pedal:

I have exp pedal plugged into the Remote, Pedal 3 with Wah Pedal Booster in stomp A, pedal range at -100%, Volume at 5.0 (the max). In "System" Pedal 3 shows Wah Wah, on page 11 Wah to Volume is ticked off.

What am I missing here guys? (thanks loads for your help!!!)

Gary ô¿ô

• Pedal 3 ?? this sounds unusual, you should unplug other pedal & controllers or FCB / remote then re-calibrate your exp. pedal

if you still got nothing , plug the exp. to the other port and recalibrate again in the system menu.