Greetings from Utah

• Hello everyone, Been listening to clips for a couple of years now but it took a back injury to make me pull the trigger. My Mesa Lonestar is just too damn heavy so I just bought a Kemper Toaster from a local guitarist that upgraded to a rack.

My first question: Where the heck do I start? So much content to read, So many options to try. so many Profiles. Yikes, I could be trapped in my studio for years. What's the best way to get up and running quickly? I'm a former tube amp snob(ish) I like to plug in and go but I see that I will have to learn this thing well to get to it's full potential. With so many professional profiles available I will probably not be profiling my own amp until I have it set up for live gigging first.

My current setup: Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 212 first edition. I use the clean channel and I use pedals for overdive/distortion. Bogner Blue/Red, VS Double Trouble, Dunlop 535Q Wah all of which I love. The big one though is the Mesa's tube Reverb, It is absolutely delicious. I real happy with my current my tones but I also love all the great Fender and Marshall sounds. Dumble also. Big fan of Jimi and Stevie but also like Billy Gibbons tone on the earlier albums.

I play mainly blues, older R&B, blues rock & classic rock. I play Fender and Prs Guitars.

I want to get my sound set down first, then if I am happy with the sounds through my studio monitors, Yamaha HS80s and B&W CDM1's then I will invest in the foot controller and a CLR wedge. (on the waiting list)

Glad to be here and am looking forward to getting to know some of you. Any help getting me started will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jon

• Hi Jon. Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

I suggest starting with the Morgan AC20 profile by rmpacheco. It's arguably the best profile in the exchange for general usability. Season it with your style of stomps, delay, and reverb, and you're ready to go.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Welcome Jon! I though good tones on my LP and Strat were easy to find without much tweaking at all. Just sample some through Rig Manager and enjoy. Zappledan is correct on the Morgan AC30.

• Hello Jon, welcome :) afraid it is gonna be a little overwhelming with the massive number of profiles now available, but maybe start with all the free Kemper packs first, then try out some free samples from some of the commercial suppliers,you will soon realise that each of them is offering a quite distinctive sound.
    ideally you wanna be working with just a small number of rigs to really learn the machine, however this probably isnt gonna happen because the temptation of so many profiles out there will be impossible to resist. have a splurge for a few weeks then start "getting serious" and narrowing things down... and dont forget to rest your ears occasionally ! cheers

• Hi Jon,
    it takes time and patience. The big point is your other equipment. The kpa has the highest quality of tone outputs i have ever seen and heard, but its nothing with the right cabs or an amp with a real cab, or a frfr.
    After trying and reselling a lot of stuff i finaly use a t.amp 800 amp mono bridged to feed a mesa boogie retifyer cab with two v30 celstion speakers at the left main out and a rcf sma nx 10" frfr on monitor out. So i have both worlds. For smaller rehearshalls i only use the frfr.
    One hint is: Check out the amp section and play with this parameters, put an eq in stomp x and set it fit to your guitar, dont touch the main eq at this time. Use the main eq for fine tuning the rig. Also the output eqs are very helpfull.
    And...... Read the manual more than one time.
    If you have special questions, post them here in the forum. Here are so many nice guys ( and dolls), which are very kind and they can help very quick.
    for me it takes nearly a year to check out and understand the machine, and every week i learn new things when i am tweaking.

cheers
    Frank

• Hi John, and welcome, mate!

Turn "Instant Preview Mode" in Rig Manager's preferences on. That way you'll be able to up / down arrow through the lists you "create" by ordering according to the columns in view (click 'em) or your search terms (in the search field). Right-click on any column header to view and en/disable the various categories.

There's an awful lot of rigs there, but using the columns and search options you can narrow 'em down as you like.

I reckon it's best to jump in and play. Fiddle with the unit's various FX / EQ / menus as the need arises; there's nothing like practical application for accelerated learning, IMHO.

• Welcome and enjoy!

I used to use my Lonestar Special a lot as well - now is all in the KPA.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de