Newbie Basic Questions

• Hi folks, after much research, I am sure that the Kemper non powered rack is the way to go for me. I was starting to mix some new tracks and had used the Eleven Rack for all electric guitars. It soon became evident that the crunch tones I designed to use in the 11Rack are not going to cut it. Hopefully the Kemper will do the trick but I have some questions prior to purchase.
    1) has there been any discussion by Kemper concerning any major design changes coming down the pike? I don't want to spend 2K on a soon to be outdated model.
    2) I have been and want to continue recording my guitars and basses digitally and avoid micing cabinets. I use pro tools and at the moment my audio interface is my 11 Rack. The 11 rack is connected to my IMac via USB. After reading the Kemper online manual, would it be correct to connect the Kemper to my 11 rack via SPDIF?
    thx

IMac 21.5" - 2.5GHz 12 GB Ram - Lion 10.7, PT 10, Eleven Rack ERXP, HD's - Glyph GT050Q D 932 Chipset & Mercury Elite H/D, Axiom Pro 49, Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, JoeMeek TwinQ Mic Pr, Kemper Rack !!Good Ole Days

• Hey there again, Beano.

1) I had the same fear. No matter what happens, it won't be outdated. If it's valve tones you want, you'd know there's no shelf life. No real-world valve amp of any decent quality is obsolete, is it?

2) I suppose you could do this. If your analogue ins are of any decent sort of quality, I'd go with them. That's just my preference 'cause I'm old-school; in my experience there's less to go wrong using analogue I/O.

Hang in there, bud. Oh, and I went for the non-powered rack too!

• I too prefer analogue. I got the powered toaster mostly because I gig and sometimes I don't need to take a cab as there are plenty out there to be plugged into. But really, the powerless unit should serve fine for 90% of the gigs you will play. And will be all you will ever need for recording. You made the right choice rest easy.

• Yup grab a power amp to bring along with your unpowered KPA and you're pretty much ready for anything. As for a Kemper 2, if it ever comes it will probably do some really cool stuff but unlikely the tones will change and that's why people love the Kemper, it's the best.

• Thx all - just pulled the trigger and it should be here next week - I am just hoping against all hope that the Kemper can grab that intangible that makes a recording of miced cabinet so much more rich than my 11 Rack. Not sure what I miss - the real tape compression, the millionth of a second delay from speaker to mic, the mixing of two 57's on one speaker? Don't think I will ever take one to a gig as my amp setup is really pretty boss at the moment.

IMac 21.5" - 2.5GHz 12 GB Ram - Lion 10.7, PT 10, Eleven Rack ERXP, HD's - Glyph GT050Q D 932 Chipset & Mercury Elite H/D, Axiom Pro 49, Mission Engineering Expression Pedal, JoeMeek TwinQ Mic Pr, Kemper Rack !!Good Ole Days

• I too prefer analogue. I got the powered toaster mostly because I gig and sometimes I don't need to take a cab as there are plenty out there to be plugged into. But really, the powerless unit should serve fine for 90% of the gigs you will play. And will be all you will ever need for recording. You made the right choice rest easy.

There you go, Beano.

Danger and I are both engineers and we've learned to go analogue when available... which is almost all the time. Life's too short for clocking and clicking / popping headaches. We engineers spend far too much time troubleshooting anyway.

• There is one exception in the truly analogue world. I hate Tascam and Fostex style 8 track recorders! They suck! Sure you can get a decent recording if they are tracking properly... If? But the machines are finicky and very difficult to monitor what is actually being written to tape. Therefore, they suck! If I want an analog tape sound I prefer to use VHS it's simpler and less tracking issues. That said, I don't because digital has come of age and while not a perfect representation of a tape sound, it's pretty darn close! As I said before, no tube amp officianado can sit blindfolded in a room full of tube amps and tell me which one is playing. That's just not possible due to the variables, starting at the source... The instrument. Introduce a Kemper into the room and see if the person can single it out? Doubt it very seriously. Maybe if they were interacting with the instrument, but still unlikely. Most of us think we can tell but we can't.

• Agreed.

I thought VHS employed diagonally-striped (by the drum head) digital code for audio, but I've just realised that I must've gained this impression through the use of my ADAT unit back in the '90s. It used SVHS tapes too, so maybe that was part of it. I'm thinking 'though that Alesis simply developed its hardware and software to stripe digital audio instead of video, right?

I used to use a National VHS recorder, which definitely was analogue audio, for mastering back in the day as its dynamic range far exceeded anything else out there in the price range. I think it was in the 88->90dB range. I can see why you adopted this approach, DangerMan!

• Well I don't employ tape very often! But I just sat in with some musicians from Switzerland that wanted to create a demo of some tunes they wrote while here in Canada. They insisted on tape for mastering? Even though we had plenty of mics, a console and interfaces. They even supplied a Tascam 8 track to do it with. The unit looked brand new! We succeeded in setting levels and doing a few good takes. As you know this can be time consuming and a delicate task. Anyhoo the Tascam started to get wobbly and unpredictable... tracking issues? I pulled the plug on the Tascam and put the remainder through the console and then digitized it. After the session I grabbed an old Sony VHS and passed the entire stereo mix through that and of course, this is why I don't subscribe to this process... converted the tape back to dig for obvious reasons. I liken it to film cameras vs digital, sure film is warmer and more natural to some but you cant get it developed anymore and its not as portable in todays world. Thats no different for music, you must bend over to some degree.

• Thx all, been doing a ton of research since your replies and in anticipation of delivery today. As a reference, I will never use the rack on a live gig as I don't play out anymore so it will just be in the studio. It seems as if my 11 rack as my only current interface) might cause some issues if I connect via analogue. After reading more deeply on some older posts here in the Avid forum and elsewhere, I really think I will need to connect SPDIF as Raoul suggested. This because the 11rack AD/DA converters are thought by many to be substandard and would hinder the signal quality of the Kemper. In addition, I wrote to Kemper support with the same hookup question.
    Hans replied:
    "Thank you for your email.You can use two different approaches to connect the Profiler to your interface.You have a choice between the analog i/o and the digital i/o.Both have their advantages and limitations.The analog connections will allow you to use whatever sampling rate you want to use in your projects but the signal will go through 2 additional conversions (digital to analog and analog to digital).Using the digital i/o will prevent the signal from being converted again but you have to use a sampling rate of 44,1 khz for your projects and you need to make the interface to be the sync slave to the digital clock that is coming from the Profiler.To use the digital i/o you need 2 coaxial SP-DIF cables."

Since i run Pro tools at 44.1, I think I will try the SPDIF first
    thx All

Edited once, last by Beano ().