Option for having only one Sensitivity.

• I know why there are two. But there are situations where having two does not quite work.
    1 - I have an Ibanez TS-10 in the loop. It is sitting before a clean sound. So while distortion sense takes care of all the sounds that the Kemper knows are distorted it thinks this is a clean sound.
    2 - I have sounds i will categorize as clean, but since they have a little bit of chrunch in them the Kemper thinks they are distorted.

In both cases the clean/distorted sensivities will not work as expected.

And since i do not really care if i have to turn a volume knob while auditioning sounds one sensitivity would be enough for me. For live use i will level the rigs via rig volume anyway since no software is going to satisfy me in the "finetuning of sounds/levels" department anyway.

(And yes, since i know someone will ask, i do find the Green Scream to be a fine screamer emutation, but the TS-10 is just very different than the TS-9 the Green Screamer emulates.)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• you could put your TS in the fx loop.

it's also perfectly possible to find more difference between two TS-10s (or any other incarnation of a TS for that matter) than between two completely different models and makes.
    btw., the GS is based on a TS-808 and was later revised towards a Maxon OD808. <- these seem to have gotten pretty stable soundwise

The Clean Sense let's you balance volume of clean vs. distorted sounds, leveling rigs (or presets on any other gear, even synths) to your needs is always necessary and not what Clean Sense is for.

• The ts10 is in the loop :)
    the loop is before the amp section which has a profile of a clean jmp 1.

And while i think the Kempers 808 sounds very good there is a certain sound/transparency that i am particularly happy with in my ts10.

• You put Clean Sens and Distorted Sens into the same ballpark, which is not a good idea.

While Clean Sens will not cause you any problems (does it?), Distorted Sens will only serve special purposes. For what purpose do you use it?

• On that point , I think there should be more adjustment available on Clean Sens as I'm in the red 60-70% of the time from 2 of my guitars ( without using effects like boosts etc.... )

• You put Clean Sens and Distorted Sens into the same ballpark, which is not a good idea.

While Clean Sens will not cause you any problems (does it?), Distorted Sens will only serve special purposes. For what purpose do you use it?

I think I put distorted sense there because that gave me the same amount of distortion as the distorted direct amp profiles i made of my JMP-1.
    But since i have done so many tweaks to the sounds during the last two weekends (totalling 5 gigs) and given that i got the Kemper more than a months ago, reprofiled my rigs three times (because only after i understood what merged profiles do, did i get it right) i might have just made a stupid decision with distorted sense early on and cannot remember now why i really did it.

As to clean sense, i play a standard uas fender strat with only single coils. It is a pretty quiet guitar compared with any guitar that has humbuckers. So i used the input led as a guideline. I set input sense so that when i hit the strings hard it goes into yellow. That setting does not seem to give me problems.

So let me ask. At this point where i am beginning to be really happy with the sounds and have my rigs leveled (via rig volume) so they suit eachother, what will happen if i lower distorted sense?
    Will i have to do the leveling all again?
    Will i loose gain on my distorted profiles?

Edited 3 times, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• Distorted sens is a global parameter that influences the gain setting on all the rigs in the KPA. It doesn't anything different (soundwise) than what you would get if you raised or lowered the gain on an individual rig (though by a different ratio I believe).
    You should watch the Kemper Tutorial on the Input section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fn3iXGFm8o

• Then please explain to me what the problem with setting the gain on didtortion sense to 5 when i play a guitar that has a very low output.
    If it is just a setting that regulates gain, and i get the gain i want with that setting why should i change it now? What kind of problems could i experience if i leave it as it is?

(i sometimes get the feeling that not many here plays regular strats with passive pickups nor understands that a humbucker can easily deliver MUCH higher output than a standard strat)

• Then please explain to me what the problem with setting the gain on didtortion sense to 5 when i play a guitar that has a very low output.
    If it is just a setting that regulates gain, and i get the gain i want with that setting why should i change it now? What kind of problems could i experience if i leave it as it is?

(i sometimes get the feeling that not many here plays regular strats with passive pickups nor understands that a humbucker can easily deliver MUCH higher output than a standard strat)

I play a strat - fat 50s in the neck, ssl-5 in the bridge position. These aren't exactly low output pickups (though set very, very low) but compared to my humbuckers (classic 57 and 57+) I have a difference in clean sense of about 7dB (strat +2.5 dB; humbucker guitar -4.5 dB). That's clean sens. What it does is it tells the profiler: Look, this is a low output (or high output) pickup, so please add (or subtract) a little volume on the clean tones (clean so slightly gainy - you can try that with any profile). The idea is that a weak output guitar for clean tones would have trouble competing with the more gainy sounds. It's a neat feature - but nothing more than a device that adjusts the volume of clean tones in relation to gainy sounds.

Distortion sens is NOT such a volume level device. It doesn't influence the volume of your rigs. ... Take this situation: You play a high output humbucker using a mid gain profile. You like the sound - everyhing is fine. Now you take a very low output strat and play the same profile - you will see that it's a lot less gainy (although the gain setting hasn't been changed). This is what can be expected and what happens in the real amp world as well. Now, distortion sens comes into play here. If you want to have the similar amount of gain with the low output guitar, raise distortion sens and it will automatically add gain to all the rigs you play through with that setting of distortion sens.
    Once again: distortion sens is not an option that you can use to level the volume of rigs.

There's nothing stopping you from leaving distortion sens at +5 - no danger, nobody harmed, everything's just fine.

Yet, your original post suggested that there should only be one sensitivity option - probably because you felt that leveling the volumes of rigs might be easier that way. So keep in mind: Volume level relation between clean and distorted: use clean sens
    Disortion sens is NOT a volume level adjustment.

As for volume levels, you will see that probably the only rigs that are almost perfectly balanced are the factory rigs that come with the profiler. If you preview rigs on rig manager, you will see that the volumes of the rigs vary immensely. ... This is something that you will have to adjust by hand (there's a volume knob in the amp section / cab section and there's the volume knob (not the master volume) use these to adjust the volume levels you are happy with.

Of course you can go on and follow your approach of raising distortion sense the way you do. Most other users would fix the problem of too low gain at the source (here: the rig).
    I play strats and teles most of the time and dial in the amount of gain I want by choosing the right profile (plus stomps in some cases). The only scenario where I would consider using distortion sens is when on a gig suddenly my guitar got broken and I would be handed a guitar with substantially lower output than mine.
    Then I would rase distortion sens and cure the problem of too low gain on my rigs due to this very low output guitar.

• Thanks for your replys Joerck and Ingolf.

At the moments i don't use any rigs that i didn't profile myself so that's fine.
    Actually, as i said, i put distortion sense where it us because that is where the gain matched the gain i got from my jmp1, since that is the amp i have been profiling :)

• Thanks for your replys Joerck and Ingolf.

At the moments i don't use any rigs that i didn't profile myself so that's fine.
    Actually, as i said, i put distortion sense where it us because that is where the gain matched the gain i got from my jmp1, since that is the amp i have been profiling :)

I would expect that when you profile your amp with your main strat guitar and you listen through monitors and make sure that the sound is what you want and profile it, there should not be any chance that the resulting profile needs added gain to match the originial amp. ... But that's hard to analyse if the profiling session took place a few weeks or days ago.

• I'll arrange a mudbath boxing ring for you two so you can settle that. (there used to be one on the Reeperbahn in the old days i think).

;)

Color me mystified again, then...

I have my CS and DS set at 0 for my strats, and CS= -6 and DS = -6 on my LPs and have had it that way for probably close to 2 years now.

My logic is this... on my "old school" pedalboard I used a clean boost to boost my strat to the same output as my LP. It didn't discriminate between clean and distorted and it didn't need to. I did it to level out the clean tones and keep the distortion amounts pretty similar - the same as the purpose of the CS and DS on the KPA.

It worked perfectly as intended and I still can't understand why there is a need for separate settings. I've read that there is a reason but I can't visualize it. I've heard that raising CS doesn't change gain level on the rig, but my ears tell me differently unless it's a completely clean rig, of which almost none of mine are.

Anyway, for me keeping CS and DS the same works across all guitars and all my rigs (and I use many.) I can't understand why that would not be a good idea and thought I had a pretty good understanding of how CS and DS work... but now I'm not so sure.

• Perhaps the OP is looking for a way to "pair" the CS and DS so that if you adjust one, you adjust both? That seems like a reasonable compromise for guys like me who just leave them both the same all the time anyway :)

• Perhaps the OP is looking for a way to "pair" the CS and DS so that if you adjust one, you adjust both? That seems like a reasonable compromise for guys like me who just leave them both the same all the time anyway :)

That'd be fine with me. Or even easier to implement: Just an option to link them :)