Kemper Drive Clone Stompbox - New product?

• Hello all. You have all these analog boutique drive pedals on your board, some maybe rare or expensive. Klon, Prince of Tone, vintage RAT, Fulldrive, Timmy etc

Wouldn’t it be great to be able to ‘clone’ the pedals and store them in a convenient stomp box size unit that you can take to gigs. You can store presets. Space saving and convenient. Want to pull up your vintage fuzz or overdrive for a particular song? You can do that easily with the Kemper Drive Clone. Which uses the Kemper amp tech so you can clone your analog drive and boost pedals. Also features an onboard noise gate.

Now everyone can own a Klon pedal without paying ££££££. Have a library of boutique drive sounds. All at your feet. No modelling – just accurate profiling of your favourite settings.

Great idea right? Well that is my pitch to Kemper. I think it will be a big hit. What do you all think? :)

• The stomp boxes inside the KPA were not profiled. They were modelled. So i highly doubt that something like this will happen.

Yes the reason for this was to save CPU - you can profile pre amps like stomps with the Kemper - I can't see any reason a standalone stomp size box with profiling isn't possible solely for people who want to profile their stomps.

• There is already one in Development as we speak. - its called Hotone Xstomp - No idea if it will be any good or not.. - but sources tell me, its worthy of things holy!

Hi Andy, your profiles are amazing by the way. This is interesting - is it similar technology to the kemper? EDIT : Looks like it is another modelling product - not got high hopes - I think profiling produces more natural sounds

To me the whole profiling overdrives and distortion pedals is an untapped area. Until we have a standalone OD profile stomp box I also think that you could do really well if some of your packs were focused on one amp with lots of boutique stomps in front. I know you do this to an extent already but I think a pack like:

Fender Twin Dist/Stomp Stomp Pack feat

Fender Twin - bare clearn sound
    with Klon
    with Rat
    with Marshall Shredmaster
    with Timmy
    with BM Triangle
    with BM Op Amp
    with Skreddy Screwdriver

Etc would be something loads of dist pedal junkies would go for. The modelled stomps just aren't the same as a profile of an amp with the real stomps in front of it.

The only current solution is buying two kempers - one for stomps profiles one for amps - but it isn't very practical.

• Yeah Im with you, I personally like the flavor of Stomps, sometimes it offers a unique sound, depending what amp your running into. - especially dimed too!. with gain on zero and volume max, can get some really interesting sounds, not achievable with the amp alone. - I'd love for a "profiling Stomp" box like the kemper, BUT for OD's so you can profile them then add them to the front of the amps in the kemper, that would be super cool. - but its not really possible..

I did do a lot of what you said, in packs 1 and 2, I was the first to offer tons of stomps with amps back in the day! (wooh seems like im oldschool lol) - I did Klons, OD's some distortions and others.. (about 8 different pedals) but that was then..... and I can do them much better today as the Kemper has evolved a lot since then.

In fact, Ive one coming out soon with dedicated Stomp pedals. in quite a unique way!. so stay tuned : )

• I didn't try that exactly.. but..

I see profiling like a really good delay... Let me explain.

A good delay can copy the tone and repeat.. but.. over time naturally it will loose its freq, after all that's what a natural delay/echo does.

WE tried a test once.. We made an amp profile.. then profiled the profile. - then profiled the profiled profile again.. etc etc etc.. eventually, it was degraded to a thin hi-fi sounding thing...totally normal and as expected.

So, on that basis, I'd never profile digital gear at all. - its not the same, it wont ever be, so therefore I wont : )
    and besides, you wont get the same interaction from the "speaker" when profiling it versus profiling another Kemper.

In the meantime, I'll keep bugging CK with "PLS LET ME PROFILE STOMPS" until his head explodes...haha

P.S Love ya CK

• Yeah Im with you, I personally like the flavor of Stomps, sometimes it offers a unique sound, depending what amp your running into. - especially dimed too!. with gain on zero and volume max, can get some really interesting sounds, not achievable with the amp alone. - I'd love for a "profiling Stomp" box like the kemper, BUT for OD's so you can profile them then add them to the front of the amps in the kemper, that would be super cool. - but its not really possible..

I did do a lot of what you said, in packs 1 and 2, I was the first to offer tons of stomps with amps back in the day! (wooh seems like im oldschool lol) - I did Klons, OD's some distortions and others.. (about 8 different pedals) but that was then..... and I can do them much better today as the Kemper has evolved a lot since then.

In fact, Ive one coming out soon with dedicated Stomp pedals. in quite a unique way!. so stay tuned : )

Hi Andy - I am mainly interested in Fender profiles with stomps. I find Fender amps take pedals really well. Especially the Twin. I love your free profiles and was going to plump for your Fender pack but wondering what stomps you profile. I am into Big Muffs and rats mainly. Would also love a shredmaster out front for the 90s radiohead tone!

When you say it isn't really possible to profile stomps. I have profiled my sansamp pedals with the Kemper so not sure why a Kemper wouldn't be able to profile a stomp without an amp? If so then a profiler with two profile slots (more CPU!) one for stomps one for amp would be killer.

It would possibly mean people could consolidate their massive analog stomp collection.

While I quite like the Kemper stomps I think the analog equivalents are just something else. I am sure profiling them would reap more accurate results. The problem is that I can only currently profile them as part of an amp profile. A pedalboard size stomp profiler would be awesome that purely focuses on cloning our precious vintage stompboxes.

• Well of course you can profile anything stomp related, but currently, only up front in the amp your profiling first. - you/we wont ever have the ability to "profile" stomps then add them as our own, because a profile is loosely based upon an impulse response, but like them, they cant carry any distortion characteristics to them, and this has to be done by hand, hence the reason we will never get them. - this is where Profiling yourself really has its upside. because you can really tailor them to really suit exactly you, your setup, your guitar and speakers etc. - for example, My own profiles are different to what I commercially sell.. because I know they are just for me. doing things for lots of peoples equipment and setups you need to be a bit more level headed and balanced. : )

Btw.. the Fender pack (Fentastic) I profiled them with my BigMuff (1972 Original) upfront. and they are monstrous!..really epic for that typical flavor!. also some of them had a TS (Tube-screamer) and some had a LazyJ Cruiser profiled up front too, The Muffs were on the 1963 Princeton, 1964 Bandmaster, the 64 Twin & the 62 Lux, without sounding lame & like a salesman, we have a sale on now that will end soon, so maybe now is a good time!.. this and my other fender pack, is my most treasured ones.

• Well of course you can profile anything stomp related, but currently, only up front in the amp your profiling first. - you/we wont ever have the ability to "profile" stomps then add them as our own, because a profile is loosely based upon an impulse response, but like them, they cant carry any distortion characteristics to them, and this has to be done by hand, hence the reason we will never get them. - this is where Profiling yourself really has its upside. because you can really tailor them to really suit exactly you, your setup, your guitar and speakers etc. - for example, My own profiles are different to what I commercially sell.. because I know they are just for me. doing things for lots of peoples equipment and setups you need to be a bit more level headed and balanced. : )

Btw.. the Fender pack (Fentastic) I profiled them with my BigMuff (1972 Original) upfront. and they are monstrous!..really epic for that typical flavor!. also some of them had a TS (Tube-screamer) and some had a LazyJ Cruiser profiled up front too, The Muffs were on the 1963 Princeton, 1964 Bandmaster, the 64 Twin & the 62 Lux, without sounding lame & like a salesman, we have a sale on now that will end soon, so maybe now is a good time!.. this and my other fender pack, is my most treasured ones.

Yes now sounds like a good time to buy your fender pack.

I am interested in this whole impulse response thing. So why can we profile an amp with a stomp in front but not a stomp on its own? Doesn't an amp have similar distortion characteristics to a stomp box? I profiles my sansamp which is basically a distortion stomp box. Sorry I am a bit confused about it all but want to learn more.

• Yes now sounds like a good time to buy your fender pack.

I am interested in this whole impulse response thing. So why can we profile an amp with a stomp in front but not a stomp on its own? Doesn't an amp have similar distortion characteristics to a stomp box? I profiles my sansamp which is basically a distortion stomp box. Sorry I am a bit confused about it all but want to learn more.

you can profile a distortion pedal, but it will occupy the AMPLIFIER slot, and since it is a DI profile, the CABINET slot will be empty (unless it has some kind of speaker sim like most/all Tech21 gear).
    One could (and I have repeatedly - because I like this kind of thing) profile a distortion pedal and then add a Cabinet from another rig or an imported IR to the rig. Sweeten the whole thing by adjusting Definition, Power Sagging and Compression and you have a cool little sound.
    I profiled for example a circuit-bend Bad Monkey OD and the results were - uh - adventurous :D just like the pedal

I think there is a bit of semantic confusion going on, since 'profiling a stomp' could be interpreted as:
    a) profiling a distortion pedal you own - which is possible
    b) profiling a distortion pedal you own and load it into a Stomp slot - which is of course NOT possible

• Hi Don yeah I know that you can't load a stomp profile into a stomp slot but my original post was the whole idea of a mini stomp size profiler purely for distortion profiles, so you could profile your bad monkey, your big muff and whatever else all in a convenient od size pedal, can you imagine it, would be the only drive pedal you would need on your board

• Hi Don yeah I know that you can't load a stomp profile into a stomp slot but my original post was the whole idea of a mini stomp size profiler purely for distortion profiles, so you could profile your bad monkey, your big muff and whatever else all in a convenient od size pedal, can you imagine it, would be the only drive pedal you would need on your board

just answering your question:

So why can we profile an amp with a stomp in front but not a stomp on its own?

• Sorry Don I thought Andy meant that he didn't think it was possible to profile a stompbox due to the way profiling works, my question wasn't clear but it was more about profiling rather than the profiler as it exists today, if that makes sense