To much gain?

• It is not a problem, but a question that a little concerns me .
    Actually all profiles I buy or download have to much distortion for me. I have to reduce the gain up to 2 LEDs.
    Can also be the result of my comfort zone, but I do not really think so.
    Seldom they are sounding like the sound examples ;)
    Even so called clean profiles with little gain mostly distort too much for me.

My guitar is a Strat with Häussel pickups (type I do not remember), which provide apparently more signal strength without losing treble.
    The same effect I see almost with my Tele. It has no originals pickups too. They are Alnicos with a higher output.
    "Clear sens" at Input is 2.8 but even set to zero or lower, the effect is similar.

Can it be that only these pickups are responsible, that all Profiles distort to much for me or is there another point to look about.?
    Also profiles that were created with Humbuckers distort to strong for me.

On the way to oz - Harry

• hi harry
    do you know input tuorial:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hope this helps.
    Peter

• Well, either your PUs are very hot, or it´s just a matter of taste. I also use Häussels, but mainly the heavier types like TOZZ XL. Love them, they have incredible output while maintaing a very broad frequency spectrum.

I love my Häussel too :)

At the moment I also have only this two explanation. To hot or my taste :whistling:
    The sound itself after tweaking is amazing.
    I would just like to understand more what's going on.
    Thanks for reply - Harry

• You should look into your distortion sense settings. I find that I keep my clean sense on -1.5 when I play my tele or my strat (-4.5 on my humbucker-equipped guitars), and distortion sense is somewhere between -2 and 0, depending on which guitar I use and the sound I'm looking for. The distortion sense acts differently than clean sense in that it triggers the breakup/gain/overdrive/distortion/whatever-you-want-to-call-it at a different point. All of this is outlined in that tutorial video - don't brush that off as your pickups are probably hotter than you think, especially when compared to samples of a different guitar that is of a different construction and pickup type.

You may also want to check your monitoring solution - if you're using FRFR, make sure your cab sims are on. If you're not using FRFR (you're using a standard guitar cab), make sure the cab sim is off on your specific output (either always off or cab sim off on the direct out if you're using that or the power amp to power a guitar cab). Your tone will be greatly shaped by the guitar cab you're using, arguably just as much as the amp profile you choose, so if you're going out to a 2x12 with V30's, your Vox AC-30 profile (for example) is not going to sound the same, as they are never loaded with those speakers.

Also, if you add a compressor or EQ, and it is boosting the levels of anything (you might have a stomp set as locked, therefore enabled on all profiles), it's going to cause a different sound pushed into the amp block. Try turning off those effects, and make sure you don't have any locked effects that are going to modify your sound.

That said, there's nothing wrong with decreasing the gain of profiles. It won't be a 100% realistic representation of the amp any longer as you're modifying a parameter from the profiling process, but it still sounds good and close enough. If you absolutely must have a 100% spot-on profile (does it really matter how exacting it is to the real amp if it gets the sound you want?), then I'd suggest you try out some other profiles (MBritt comes to mind, as his are all clean and low gain, with only a few mid-gain options), or profile amps yourself.

Finally, we all have different tastes. The profiles I use have all been modified - typically adding compression or modifying the cab. But this is the case with any digital amp with presets - not everyone likes the same things and some tweaking is almost always in order. You can't expect any profile to be perfectly brilliant out of the gate, though sometimes we all find some rare gold.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• you could lower your guitars output level by lowering your pickup height.
    This could also result in less string-pull and a longer, smoother level- decay of the strings.

the other option as already mentioned is to lower the Distortion Sense parameter.

hth

• What don't you post a sound clip of such a sound on its default values and the sound after you've changed it.

It's always difficult to talk about sounds, so better to let us hear it.

• What don't you post a sound clip of such a sound on its default values and the sound after you've changed it.

At the moment I do not have a suitable audio interface.
    It's on the shopping list, if I want to tinker with songs again.

I was delighted to found some postings after my beauty sleep. :)
    here are some suggestions and ideas, which I will try now.
    I will report on it.
    See you later - Harry

• The profiles I use have all been modified

That a sound exactly sounds like a Sound Example I do not expect. It is not important to me. I take it as a sound idea.
    Also the playing techniques of the players are probably better than mine.
    Up to now all profiles I had to tweak for my convinience.

I had in mind that Distortion sens should be normally at 0.
    I played with clean sens mainly.
    The setting that I have now been found, thanks to your suggestions is:
    clear sens now stands at -1.2 and distortion sens to - 2.7.
    This results to a less need to reduce gain.

Furthermore, I have found something else. I had set the Volume pedal to "post" originally.
    For some reason, the volume pedal today was set to "pre".
    Must have happened by mistake in the last days. That was probably very irritating.

Will I change the distortion during playing, I use either a stompbox, reinforcing the stroke or take the Guit-Volume.

My special thanks to Doug for the detailed explanation - Harry

• Yep, a volume pre-Amp definitely changes the amp's gain, hence distortion.

also, +1 for Distortion Sens, that's what it's there for. lower itntil your rigs distort the way you want :)

• Yep, a volume pre-Amp definitely changes the amp's gain, hence distortion.
    also, +1 for Distortion Sens, that's what it's there for. lower itntil your rigs distort the way you want

I use the volume pedal at home rather hardly, therefore I did not noticed that it is set close to the maximum and to "Pre" ..
    The setting for the SC guitars are now very useful
    Had yesterday first rock band rehearsal with the KPA. I could go full blast.
    Downright excited I was about the sound of the acoustic guitar. The Thema "drag an additional acoustic amp" is really history.
    Humbucker (Hollobody) guitars (for Big Band) still needs some tweaking. But the sounds I found already at home are not so bad. Today's evening (rehearsal) will teach me more.
    And now I know the approach better. ;)

The comments here helped me to focus my thoughts to the right topic. - Harry

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• you could lower your guitars output level by lowering your pickup height.
    This could also result in less string-pull and a longer, smoother level- decay of the strings.

hth

I talked to Matthias Jabs about that Yesterday evening. I have his stage Mastercaster that I understand he used to record "Winds of change"... I said the neck pickup was too hot and he said I should lower it to reduce the gain and get more clarity and sustain because the strings would resonate for longer. I´ve just tried it and it does make a difference.