Melodyne Software (German Video)

• Found this on the Heise IT News:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sorry for the German video ... but for English speakers please google "Melodyne" and be ready to be blown away ... at least I was.

• It seems at first they had a bug with Vocal processing yielding artifacts not in version 3. I've been reading about it on Gearslutz. They apparently read that forum and found the issue and posted an update. So problem solved.

THIS version upgrade looks awesome. It seems to be aimed at Polyphony and would help people with the Studio version best (which was a $149 upgrade for me) but what really struck me was the Time snapping ability. So if your drummer has a case of the "slows" or "speedy gonzalez" you can FIX it with this. OR create an change in your timing where you slow down a part, say at the end or just before a bridge or something. Very cool feature and a snap to implement.

There are a dozen other decent upgrades, well worth the money. Kudos to Melodyne for really pushing the frontier of pitch and time shifting. Now I can play guitar in a minor key and just change it all to a major key and not even keep the beat. So why practice?!? ;)

• Looks amazing but isn't cheap. Would the cheaper versions be worth buying over the baked in tools in pro logic x? I've never particularly thought the pitch functions in pro logic x particularly good: too glitchy

• Editor was always fine for me. Studio One 3 I noticed comes bundled with a version of Melodyne (unfortunately wasted on me)
    Melodyne is the standard for pitch correction it seems. You can demo it and see which version works for you.
    I'm not a pro singer, so correcting pitch is very nice, or just soothing out something with added vibrato, or taking vibrato out if it's not done right.
    Plus you can correct timing issues. it's neat. but only if you use gentle correction. go more than a few semi-tones and you hear the artifacts pretty steeply.
    Which some love for FX too. Gee, thanks Cher...

Registerring:
    I switched to the iLok in December and you can have one computer activated (I chose my laptop) and any other using the iLok. (or else 2 computer registrations, but if you choose iLok you are stuck there after even with upgrades)
    Took me a bit to find out what to do as Melodyne 4 didn't show up in my iLok manager right away.
    But eventually it did.

• Some very cool features in Melodyne 4.
    Their youtube page has many videos both in German and English.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CelemonySoftware/videos

Here is one about controlling formants in various instruments.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is a lot of grumbling on Gearslutz about what changed for vocal correction (loss of some features?!?)

I'll have to play with it and see. When I get to it that is. Got a lot of other stuff to finish first.

Maybe someone here can chime in with the alterations in vocal pitch shifting work-flow?

• In America when I did the upgrade, Melodyne was $149 from Editor 2.x to Studio 4.x and since i got the info from AudioDeluxe I went to that side and when it went to the cart it had a Discount that brought it down $23 something dollars.
    The whole cost was $125.99

• I tested the demo version and found some strange behavior after pitch correction (quantized to scale). The patch is no much longer (i.e stretched time-wise) and doesn't sync with my other tracks. The patch was originally reco9rded with Live, exported and re-imported. Anyone can enlighten me here?

• I typically never use a snap to grid on a whole take. I would go note by note and here and there find something to tweak.

I don't know if v3.x had this, but the pitch algorithm is pretty cool. There is a sliding scale and you can choose which notes or groups to do it on, so you can get as surgical as you'd like and play with the slide into and out of pitch, based on it's determination of the pitch center or one you've set it to (i.e. Major vs Minor etc)

I like the idea that you can work with background takes and line them up in time or by pitch as groups. That is amazing. Plus you can slide in the other takes as much or little as you want to get a feel for how your changes sound with the rest of the mix.

Yeah, this is definitely worth the upgrade. Now if only I could upgrade my vocal chords and nasal canal to get that Rod Stewart husk...

• I've up graded to the new version studio 4 and I must say I want to love it but I just can't. I've had to change my work flow a bit and I keep pressing the damn space bar to start Melodyne because this was how it worked in studio 3 but it doesn't in this version plus there are some other things I'm just not 100% happy with. The tuning is good and sounds very smooth and natural

• I've up graded to the new version studio 4 and I must say I want to love it but I just can't. I've had to change my work flow a bit and I keep pressing the damn space bar to start Melodyne because this was how it worked in studio 3 but it doesn't in this version plus there are some other things I'm just not 100% happy with. The tuning is good and sounds very smooth and natural

i've upgraded as well. Spacebar doesn't work? I have to check this. Only played around a bit with this.
    It's an absolute crazy software. The sky's the limit.