Please help me to decide which way to go ...

• Well, I ordered a non powered head together with a Yamaha DXR 10.
    My first impression was mixed, but after spending a couple of time, I could dial in decent sounds, both, running it through the power section of my tube amp into a normal cab as well as running it into the DXR10.

I decided to return the Kemper Head, cause it was a B-Sock-device, and want to get a new "virgin" one.

For the Yamaha - I am not quite sure. It sounds all right with overdriven sounds but a bit boxy and when I palm mute the lower strings on distortion sounds, it is a bit muddy and boomy. Maybe I do something wrong.

No I am considering:

1. Getting a non powered head again, keep the Yamaha for a decent sound on a reasonable budget - or upgrade to a RCF NX N12-sma, which was recomenden by Kemper-Support or a Matrix Q12A - which I would expect to be an improvement over the Yamaha DXR10 (which might be a wrong imagination - please teach me your experience).

2. Getting a non powered head and get a Matrix GT1000FX and a Matrix CFR12 (which would be more expensive) - I heard good things about this power amp, but no
    experience.

3. Getting a Powerhead and a Matrix CFR12, which gives me also the option to use a regular Cabinet (which I actually want to avoid for practical reasons and I
    understand the logic of FRFR-System together with the Kemper).

I like my tube amp, but I joined a project (kind of funk-reggae hip-hop-fusion-experimental electronic mixture), where they asked me to play straight into the PA - and I thought, the Kemper might be a good solution for that. But I want to have my sound in a separate monitor/cabinet.

Don't bash me for these questions, I know, there are some threads concerning some of these topics, but I could't get the right answer yet and I rather have a headache when I try to reflect pros and cons - and hardly any experience with Kemper and FRFR/PA-systems. I want to have a light weighted, easy going system.

So if you would like to share your thoughts an arguments, it might help me to decide. If not, I apologize for taking your time.

• Get an unpowered head, you will later have the possibility to upgrade it with a power section if you need it.

FRFR systems are more optimized when power section is within it. So unpowered + active monitor such as the DXR10 is the route I recommend you.

I myself bought a powered unit as it was the only one immediately available at my corner shop. Indeed the only use i had of the power section was for selling my cab (it sounded amazing though).

• One of the biggest factors in all of this is also the individual profiles that you're using. You could have the perfect setup in terms of Kemper + speaker + power, but if you're playing a garbage profile, you're going to have garbage sound. Period.

You might find some profiles that you like in the Rig Exchange or on the KPA itself. For me personally, I went through literally hundreds of profiles (including some highly recommended ones from MBritt, Amp Factory, etc.,) before I finally found the profiles that I liked. It wasn't until this point that I was truly blown away by the KPA. For me, the profiles that did it were from TopJimi; specifically, the Lee Jackson modded Marhsall, and the Tim Caswell modded Marshall. Funny part is, I've played nothing but Mesa Boogie tube amps for the last 10 years and now love these Marshall profiles more than my Mesa tube setup. Still haven't found a Mesa profile that I truly like yet. But I'm confident they're out there. I also haven't had time to profile my own Mesa yet.

So in addition to what everyone has mentioned above, I'd suggest researching online which commercial profiles might be best suited for the type of music you're playing, then buy just a small sample from that particular vendor/company to see if they truly sound/feel right to you. If they do, great, then get some more. If they don't, try another source. Finding the right profiles is equally important a factor in your final sound.

• My opinion: A unpowered profiler gives you more possibilities to try what is convenient for you.
    When you know what you want, you can update for example with http://ritteramps.de/ or similar.
    I prefer unpowered and a FRFR activ speaker.

Third party retrofit poweramps are only possible with the head though, not with the rack.
    And a poweramp can always come in handy OTOH.

• +1 for the DXR10. I "upgraded" from the RCF to the Yamaha because I thought it just sounded better for guitar related stuff.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Hello,

I want to thank you all for sharing your thoughts - each of this posts was very helpful for me to make things clear.

For now I will stay with the Yamaha DXR - I got a new one for a good price - and will spend my time to figure it out combined with a new non powered Kemper.
    Maybe, when I am more familiar with the Kemper and it comes to more gigging, I might consider the Matrix-way, who knows.

I went to a band-jamming yesterdy first time using a KPA, and, though I have to do some adjustments and improvings, it worked out really well and the other guys and I were convinced about the sound. So I will give it a go!

Cheers!

• I've been very happy with the Kemper / DXR10 combo. Like other have mentioned, it IS about dialing in the tone. Yes, it is a bit different from working with a traditional setup. In some ways, I would say it is "better". I find it to a bit more consistent. Couple of things I will mention in case you did not know:

- The DXR10 has a simple shelving type EQ /Filter... look on the back, you will see a switch. You can cut off some low end if needed, etc.
    - The Kemper has "multiple" eq points. Meaning, you do have a global EQ in the output section, one for the main outs, and one for the monitor out. (none for the direct out. unless that changed with the latest software release ... which would be cool) Just be aware of these EQ's. I use the global EQ to make adjustments dependent on the room I am in. If a room is really bright or dark, you can tweak here without touching each individual profile. Good thing to know on the gig ...

Bottom line is you should be able to get a great sound out of that combo. Keep working it. :)

• I went powered rack because I wanted the option to use a conventional cab - unpowered you don't have that option without getting an amp. 18 months later I've still not taken the FRFR plunge and run it through a guitar cab and it sounds ace.

I've not used a DXR and I'm only just starting to investigate FRFR ( because although it sounds ace, I keep being told on this forum it will sound even better :) ) BUT what I do know is that almost all of the set up's will get you a great sound, they just take a bit of time setting up and getting it right because there are so many variables and KPA is so damn flexible :)

I also agree with the profiles that you need to keep experimenting, some I think sound better through certain set ups - just my view. My best sounds through my cab sound pants direct through FOH.

Please let us know how you get on as I for one am interested in your experiences with the DXR..

Oh one other thing, because it sounds different, sometimes you need others to tell you it sounds good...bizarre but I struggled early on because I wasn't convinced that digital could sound good...but it was only when everyone starting saying how great my sound was that I was confident with my KPA.

• Heya Eddie . .I'm using 2 Yamaha DBR 10s ( they are a step down from the DXR models) along with a Behringer 12" Eurolive sub using XLR AES/EBU cables and it sounds OK but there is something there that doesn't quite sit right . .boxy is a good word. I've been checking out the Friedman ASM 12 ( heavy 52 pounds, $799) , Atomic CLR ($999, 45 pounds), XiTone 1x12 power cab "Walliman" model ($950 including shipping)., XiTone passive cab is $ 500 w/shipping but I think it only has a 1/4" input and no XLR. It's hard to tell as their website has little info on the inputs and the pictures of the cabs are practically useless. Also have been considering going Matrix power amp, most likely GT800FX ( $599) and Matrix passive Q12a cab ( $749). The powered Matrix Q12a is $1049.

There is a lot to chose from BUT there also is no big hurry to go frantic and buy a bunch of stuff. Ingolf is correct. Take some time and play with it. I've been tweaking my Toaster a bit and it helps depending on the profile ( stock KPA profiles, MBritt Tweedy pack).

So, order a pizza and start twisting those knobs and enjoy it, I am. Tho I will admit I've got my DBRs and behringer sub up on Craig's List.

Peace.

• Thanks a lot guys - it will enforce me to take my time with the Kemper/DXR combination. I will give a feedback, how it worked out.
    But it will take a while due to family/work-engagement at the moment.

Cheers!