Tone issues.

• I have searched forever to find good kemper profiles, but they literally all sound the same. I'm trying to get an awesome rock sound, like the solo in this song.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The way the amp reacts in his solo is something I haven't found in the kemper yet.

Solo in here:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or solo in here, a heavy hard rock distortion:

Please help me, I'm really considering selling my kemper. I can get the sound I want or closer to it with guitar rig, but the heavy distortion aspect seems to be missing for me with kemper. How can I achieve this?

• I can only watch the first clip (due to country restrictions), but that sound there is bread and butter, if you have a strat with single coils. A boosted Fender profile will get you in the ballpark. I'm not sure about the Rig Exchange, but I have a good few profiles from TAF that nail that sound. Britt, Guido and Bert all have variants, and TopJimi has a few amps that get there, too.

• @Sorrelity
    in example 2 I hear an octave up (by a full wave rectifier) effect - use Recti Shaper to get this.
    example 3 it's a fuzz, probably a eq-ed Fuzz Factory

please try PITCH Wide Fuzz Oct from the Rig Exchange,
    as well as Musket Fuzz, but be aware that you are aiming for highly post processed guitar sounds,
    then again, the fact that Muse owns a lot of Profilers and performs with them live should tell you something about what's possible with this box ;)

• What is your set up? Are you going through a cab or FRFR ?

I can't listen to the samples I'm afraid but I use heavy gain sounds with no front end pedals into a 4 x12 like a regular amp..

• As @V8guitar mentioned, you need to provide a lot more detail on your current setup. There are so many factors that come in to play when trying to emulate a specific sound (cab/speaker you're using, guitar, pickups, even playing style, etc.).

I can tell you that for quite a while, I was in your same position though. I literally went through HUNDREDS of commercial profiles and had found none that I thought sounded good. But, I kept going and eventually came across some Marshalls from TopJimi that blew me away (and I'm not even a Marshall guy). Since then, I've decided to sell my tube amp rig. You need to be playing through the right speaker, and have the right profiles in order for the Kemper to sound good with distorted profiles (IMO). Clean profiles are a lot easier to find.

• I have headphones going into my kemper. I just find that every profile I use sounds very digital and almost muffled down sort of.

I want my profiles to have a powerful sound when you play it, every single clean profile sounds the same. The all sound like there is absolutely no effect added to them I don't mean that clean profiles should have effects added to them, but I'm trying to say that they all sound so muffled down., I want to get a clean sound like this:

I can upload a few clips of me playing and maybe you can see what I mean.

A tone like this, it sound so clear and not digital and powerful when you play. I have never come close to finding a tone in kemper that can match this.

• I can only watch the first clip (due to country restrictions), but that sound there is bread and butter, if you have a strat with single coils. A boosted Fender profile will get you in the ballpark. I'm not sure about the Rig Exchange, but I have a good few profiles from TAF that nail that sound. Britt, Guido and Bert all have variants, and TopJimi has a few amps that get there, too.

Can you send that too me? You have no idea how much I want to get these tones. I'm so demotivated to play and practice when no matter how well I can play a song it just doesn't sound like it does on the record.

• Concerning profiles sound mufled - please check that your pure cabinet settings. If it is enabled - turn it off and compare.

As for the tones, Muse use some kind of fuzz on both tracks. And if you look at the market for a fuzz pedal there are tones of them and all sound very different. Go through all fuzz pedals available on kemper and try to find the one that will put you closer to the Muse sound.

As for Eric Johnson tone - it is a holy grail for many. First thing about his tone is the the way he picks notes and does vibrato. That contributes to the tone more than anything else. Second is his guitar - strat with quite bright pickups. And he does turn down tone knob on bridge pickup to about 5-6. Third, for his solo tones he usually uses Marshall Plexi amp with volumes turned up to 10, which brings up a lot of power tubes distortion and speakers distortion as well. And the last but not least he uses Tube Driver pedal which gives smooth reach and compressed tone. And of course don't forget about tons of delay (he usually have two delays set to about 300-450ms).

So if you want to get his tone - find Marhsall Plexi profile that was profiled with volumes on 10. Put a distortion pedal in front (we don't have tube driver in kemper but some other with high compression should work). Get a strat guitar, switch to bridge single coil pickup, play around with tone knob. And don't forget to add delay (i prefer tape delay). And now learn his picking and vibrato technique.

• Here is me messing with some clean, some distorted profiles. First off yes the playing can be better :P I've only been playing like 1.5 years so I'm not amazing. Cliffs of dover butchered at the end, I only just started learning it.

External Content soundcloud.com

But you can get an idea of how the sounds are. Just compaire what I played to the sound you hear in that 'Big Wreck' - Ghosts.

I can play a strat and sure that will change the sound, but I don't get anything like that sound with the kemper.

• they literally all sound the same.

I'd start with a general check of the Profiler's settings. I've posted a"first use" tutorial for the basic settings (Input, Output and the like) in one of my own thread, I'd suggest you give it a good read and check your settings.

Also, you did not tell us what your setup is. Hard to further help you ...

On a more general note, your tones don't sound all the same to me. You should realize that a great tone mostly lies in the hands of the player. The clips you've posted are of great musicians, which have devoted years to develop the quality of their tone(s). Specially the picking hand's technique is relevant to achieve this goal: the pick you choose, the way you hold it, the way it hits the strings and releases them... and then your vibrato... lots of things are involved in a great tone.
    My best advise (apart from properly setting the unit as per above) would be to devote time to developing a good technique: this will give you gratifications you'll never find in an audio device.
    Ah, and don't sell your Profiler: it's an amazing piece of gear which will follow your progresses in the years and grow with you! :)

HTH

• I know a heck of a lot of the tone comes from the playing, but it's mainly the gear that creates the tone in my opinion. That song Ghosts by Big Wreck, can you please point me to a profile that matches that tone? Because nothing I can find comes close to that. It's just the way each profile reacts is how I know that it's not just playing and the fingers, it's the amp itself or whatever effects added. It's hard for me to explain, it just sounds so powerful when he picks the strings, and sustains longer, idk. But please I really want to play with that tone, the above person said he has the exact tone.

My settings, like on the kemper? Which settings do you need?

• I know a heck of a lot of the tone comes from the playing, but it's mainly the gear that creates the tone in my opinion.

Well I've been there. It is not that simple. Tone comes from the all the nuances of your playing. The gear just emphasizes it. The more I play the more I realize that whatever gear I play I get the same tone with a slightly different character.

The same with all musicians. Eric Johnson sometime uses Marshall Plexi and Tube Driver or sometimes Dumble amp. But his signature tone is still the same. Andy Timmons on the recording of Resolution it is mainly Marshall Plexi with Tube Driver in the front. But live he uses MesaBoogie Lone Star with BB Preamp. Sill the same tone, slightly different character. Allan Holdsworth has been playing different amps at the different times of his career. But his signature tone is still there. I can go on and go on.

• Your sound clips sounded somewhat weird, so I would suggest you to do a system reset and check if it helps:

Reset Corrupted System Settings
    (NOTE: all your system settings will be erased, not your rigs):

switch the main knob to off;

wait a few seconds;

hold the System key;

switch Profiler to tuner while still holding the System key.

• Can you send that too me? You have no idea how much I want to get these tones. I'm so demotivated to play and practice when no matter how well I can play a song it just doesn't sound like it does on the record.

I can't share the profiles, as they are commercial profiles, but what I can do for you is have a look on Rig Exchange for something in the ballpark, then tweak it and share my tweaks. Now just to find the time...

Edit : a quick noodle with a tweaked Rig of a stock Kemper Vox profile, played on my tele (strat would be closer) :

Link to profile, if anyone's interested
    Credit to Maurizio and Kemper!

Edited 4 times, last by sambrox ().

• These tones are available right on the kemper, no pb, you'll figure it out. Tell us more about your gear ?

laying with headphones is not the best option to setup a tone, you need room level signal like a FR monitoring system or poweramp & guitar cab.

I'd suggest the system reset as your samples sound muffled , and starting from scratch again but without the headphones. The first vid is about stratocaster , so you'll need a good one to mimic this kind of tone, a SSH ibanez-like won't give you the same kind of tone.

Another question, have you ever owned a real tube amp ? The kemper reacts just like them but with much more options, but this can be overwhelming.

PS : about your question on my rigs used on my track 'singing les Paul' , I did not keep them as they were tweaked on the fly during the recording, as I always do to adapt to my needs on my mixes.

Anyway, I did put a similar lead tone on rig exchange a while ago ( search for ATM.JB.drive.chordal.lead )

• Another quick noodle, this time with my strat-type guitar, though it has lipstick pickups :

Profile is here
    Edit : sorry for the clicks! Had my spdif sync set to internal, not KPA. Doh!

Edited once, last by sambrox ().

• Here is me noodling on the start neck pickup with 2 different profiles.

• I used that profile for this sound clip.

I played it on a fender strat, I believe it's called an American standard, but I can't remember forsure.

3 single coils.

I honestly don't think the tone sounds anything like the sound clips you guys posted, that is exactly the sound I want. You can tell it's a strat, but when I'm playing it doesn't sound like a strat.