The Forum's a Tight Ship Right Now, It Seems - Discuss

• The title says it all. I don't mean to be provocative here; I'm merely inviting comment.

No off-topic posts please. LOL

NOTE: If you can't say something without making disparaging remarks about anyone, please do not post in this thread. I'm trusting you guys here, so please, please don't make me look any worse than I already do...

[Steps up to mirror to pick nits out of fur... on face...]

• Oxford Dictionary online, Spinner:

run a tight ship
    Be very strict in managing an organization or operation. 'I want to portray an image of success,' Gerry admits, to show that it's feasible to be organic and still run a tight ship. And to the sheriff's credit, he runs a tight ship here.

Now, it's interesting to me that the second sentence, the example of usage, touches on the great battle between two common enemies - the principle of machine-like efficiency and that of the typically-ebbing-and-flowing human element.

I said, "common enemies" because in practise achieving a happy balance between the two seemingly-contradictory ideals proves too great a challenge for most organisations, be they small companies of two people or corporations employing thousands.

• Very philosophical for a simple man like me. :)

From my humble perspective: When I have a certain problem, say with a piece of gear, I google. And very often google points me to the one or other forum. I tend to go through them in the order google presented. When - at the landing page of that forum - I have to read stuff like...

* we have discussed this so many times, not again, please use the search
    * this is off topic here, use search to find the right place
    * we have explained this so many times, why are you not able to understand it
    * you have no clue at all, its completely the other way round

... I will close this and go on to the next forum. After all I do neither expect to find my solution there, nor do I expect at least some nice sidemarks or joke. I mean, having problem with some gear means very often some kindof bad mood. Now if somebody anonymous out there is able to just make me smile again, thats a lot of help as well!

In other words I love forums the monkey-style!

And this also includes the excellent expertise and willingness to help whenever possible!

Zero tolerance for violent posts.
    Full tolerance for jokes .
    Rather big tolerance for so-called "off topic" (the internet is NOT a big book neither a huge collection of properly numbered folders).

Just my 2 cent.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I suppose that my comment on another thread floating "off topic" has something to do with this one? I'm not the forum police, and that was just an opinion. For me, I went to that thread looking for specific information, then found a conversation that was only peripherally related - and so was disappointed, hence my comment. However, like I said, I certainly don't control the forum content.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I suppose that my comment on another thread floating "off topic" has something to do with this one?

Dont think so. I guess that Monkey mate is aiming more at the moderators and admins here... but that is just a guess. Nobody can ever make me responsible, arrest me or call me to account for this. But that might be just another guess. :P

Ne travaillez jamais.

Edited once, last by SpinnerDeluxe ().

• I suppose that my comment on another thread floating "off topic" has something to do with this one? I'm not the forum police, and that was just an opinion. For me, I went to that thread looking for specific information, then found a conversation that was only peripherally related - and so was disappointed, hence my comment. However, like I said, I certainly don't control the forum content.

Absolutely not, Zappledan!

I feel terrible that you'd even think this... or at least wonder if it were the case. Rest assured that if I were in any way disappointed with something you said to me I would PM you and cry on your shoulder; I wouldn't even get angry 'cause it's not in my nature to do so.

To be clear, I appreciated your "jumping in" as you did back there; IMHO it acted as the perfect circuit-breaker to a discussion I'd have much preferred not to have participated in anyway. So, go you good thing, Zappledan!

• Cool down mates! Everything works. :*

@skoczy
    Our mysterious banana dealer was down for count of admin cause we made to much jokes. So he asks for response.

I'm an admin in another forum, too. For that reason I can understand a moderated input from admins. In my opinion that makes sense, cause forums where the admins don't moderate often slide away from the way. I know forums of musicans, where are about 10 tribal chieftains. They can allow everything, bully others and that brings poison into the atmosphere at the end. For that reason it makes absolute sense and it's impotant if admins gives input generally!

At second we have to understand that this is an moderated forum from a company. For that reason some borders are a bit closer - sometimes extra thin till sensitive like durex fun - cause a forum is everytime a figurehead too. We have to see this in this light.

At last Kemper and me too we are Germans. Without discipline and order, we lose composure.Then our world view is in danger and we are approaching a deep depression! ^^
    If we do something, then accurat. Normally without compromise. :huh: ;)
    Watch the English in for comparison! Constructed outstanding roadsters! Wonderfull cars! Sexy. To fall in love! But the crappy gear were shit! 20.000 miles and then it was ruined. For Germans this is associated with physical pain! The Englishman continues until he is bankrupt. :/ :D
    These are culturell realities which we have to handle here. For that reason I prefer the old German saying or idiom:
    Don't eat so hot like it was cooking.
    Calm down and see it as a normal hint. Take it with a smile. Tomorrow the world looks quite differently. For sure. ;)

But I have a wish to the admins:
    Is it possible to install an of topic underforum in the Privat thread with the hint not to discuss political themes for a better friendship? ^^
    Could be the solution for all these things.

• I have already created feature request in the formal way, but guess what :D

• Cool down mates! Everything works.

Well, I am complaining about first world problems! :P On a very high level, you know...

This forum is among the best I am aware of. Polite, competent and helpful users. Close to no aggression. Beginner questions very welcome. Excellent.

BUT: isn't it *very* German to make very good things even better - and this at every cost!?! :D

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Well, I am complaining about first world problems! :P On a very high level, you know...

This forum is among the best I am aware of. Polite, competent and helpful users. Close to no aggression. Beginner questions very welcome. Excellent.

BUT: isn't it *very* German to make very good things even better - and this at every cost!?! :D

Ja, Odrnung must sein! :D

• Just my 2 cent.

I like your statement and personal I agree special in connection to monkey bro'.
    On the other side an unmoderated Forum becomes easy a chaos.
    Perhabs the wrong was called for disciplin but surely this was not planned against Monkey bro'.

Nicky , sleep one night and don't take it personal.
    For me its allway's a little sunrise when you joke. Even I do not understand everything ;)
    Fact is, if everybody would communicate in this form, then the forum would be not interessant. But you are some special and you deserve to be seen as such.

• we’ve opened this forum to create a roundtable for our users to discuss our products. we envision it to be a great resource and knowledge base. most importantly, we want it to be inviting for everybody. and that’s why we want it focused - so especially newbies can easily find the info they’re looking for. we also want it to be a little bit better than those forums which live on derailed postings, off-topic-ness and insider jokes. nothing wrong with that in general, but there are enough already. in order to get there, we sometimes moderate and we hope that at the end of the day we end up with a place that suits its purpose and is still fun. the purpose of this forum isn’t to shelter the homeless. we are happy to host the ones in need for a couple of nights but that’s it. but even then, we expect those to respect our rules, as you would with everybody who visits you at your home. so, if someone believe that this here could become his personal playgroup: please help yourself to as much food as you like and safe journey.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Yup. I have to agree with and condone G String's comments; thank you for reminding us of the bare-bones facts and purpose of the forum, G String.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we have the utmost respect for our mods. These guys are professional and, I think, do a superb job of "keeping their eyes on the fries" (Aussie expression meaning to never lose sight of the goal).

I chose to throw the topic of striving to achieve that delicate balance between maintaining the tightest of ships and not excluding the human factor out there in order to get a feel for what the members' perception on the matter is at this point. Now that I've slept on it, my 2¢ worth is that in fact the mods do an admiral job; their occasional ruffling of feathers with sudden thread closures and "abrupt" or seemingly-insensitive comments (they're only human after all) doesn't, IMHO, constitute any sort of personal attack or judgement of us. They're only trying to do their jobs as best they can according to the "mission statement" as described by G String above.

I feel therefore that my raising of this topic for discussion was a waste of time, and I'm sorry about that, peeps. How we feel about the tight-ship / human balance is essentially-irrelevant because I can't envisage the mods' altering their M.O. in order to appease anyone's point of view. Their mission is their mission, and they're going to stick to it no matter what. One has to admire their focus, I reckon.

But I have a wish to the admins:
    Is it possible to install an of topic underforum in the Privat thread with the hint not to discuss political themes for a better friendship?
    Could be the solution for all these things.

Kulle, many of us, including myself (big surprise there... not!), support this idea IIRC, based upon the responses I've seen to such requests in the past. I believe it will continue to be raised periodically, but who knows if the powers that be will ever grant this wish?

I have already created feature request in the formal way, but guess what

I'll have a stab at it, Brother Skocz...

Let's see... they said "yes"? No? They said "no"? Yes! I'm one for two. Yay! One out of two ain't bad. LOL

• @Monkey_Man
    You are mostly right but in one point you're wrong I think so.
    It seems you think it was a mistake of you to talk about that. I'm not agree with this thinking brother! In my point of view you where courageous to show problems. Thats the other side of us Germans (mostly) if people courageous to handle unpleasant things and are willing to offer their face and head. You did that. That's honorable. :thumbup:
    I think its better to talk about unlucky things than to lug around for weeks. So we can solve it. That's better! Therefore you were right!
    Finally, we all are musicians that means we are mostly sensitive people, because otherwise we couldn't make music. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense not to allow any ulterior motives.
    For that reason I think you were right and not false.
    However, we all should take the others into a thoughtfulness. Because the biggest problem in the Internet is the misunderstanding, you can't see the eyes of the otherones.
    Therefore, it is not always easy to take a thoughtfulness and at the same time to be very clear to clarify the situation. This with sensitive people ... You understand what I mean certainly ... ^^
    This is a balancing act. For all of us. The biggest hurdle in the internet. ;)
    Good that we could clarify that. Thanks Monkey.

• I think it was MentaL once made a feature request to install a Subforum, where other topics than Kemper related could be discuss . (with similar rules:, no politics, no religions no personal offends - just personal small talks and topics)
    It was definitly rejected as far I remember . (I think I supported this request)