Rob Chapman and the Cap'n test the Kemper vs Real amps.

• Why did the left channel sound so different from the right one?
    Left one (Kemper) sounded a bit harsh. Right one (JCM) was a bit fuller, yet sounded a bit dull

This had me stunted as well, intially. But I am guessing they didn't mic up the cabs exactly (tonally) equally The reactions of chappers and Lee didn't fit with the difference in tone, so I must assume that in the room they sounded much more like each other.

• This had me stunted as well, intially. But I am guessing they didn't mic up the cabs exactly (tonally) equally The reactions of chappers and Lee didn't fit with the difference in tone, so I must assume that in the room they sounded much more like each other.

That was pretty much my take on it too.

• Why did the left channel sound so different from the right one?
    Left one (Kemper) sounded a bit harsh. Right one (JCM) was a bit fuller, yet sounded a bit dull

At least 50% of a speaker's sound is the room. Example: Place one speaker in a corner on the floor and you get about +12 dB of bass response. If both cabinets are not perfectly in symmetry with the (untreated) walls and the (stereo) mic do expect frequency response shifts in the mid and treble of about 10 dB. Then add Fletcher Munson for the unequal volumes.

This video in this room does simply not allow to "judge" those subtle things.

Now go to your Kemper and set your bass EQ knob to +12 dB and try to listen what happens to the treble and presence then.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• But where is the Kemper?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I found it quite funny how Lee turned what he felt was a tiny difference with high frequencies into quite a big deal when he managed to guess correctly. And, let's face it....... It WAS a guess. Good to see that Chappers is thinking sensibly though, by profiling his amps and touring with the KPA. Well, CK can withdraw his ad from Guitarist Magazine now, as these two videos will have his sales sky-rocketing :)

I thought the same thing about the Capt's response. He so obviously wanted to find some fault with the KPA to hang his hat on.

Well. I was going back and forth for some time as to whether to try the Kemper. Analyzed, listened to vids, clips etc.

Then I saw the first video. I bought my kemper.

Then I played it.

I profiled my amps and sold most of them.

• I really enjoyed it and took it for what it was. While a direct comparison like this will always throw up inconsistencies, I think the bottom line is that the Kemper not only did a good job, but made the point that this device is quite the epic piece of kit that can stand up against high end amplification, and this is without then taking into consideration the absolute convenience of the Kemper.

Interestingly, if you have a look at this video from about 1 hour 5 mins, Guthrie starts talking about his gear, and mentions his view on Amp vs Kemper vs Modelling and I think makes some excellent points, and well balanced and arguable agreeable view.

The Captain Meets - Guthrie Govan

I love everything about my Kemper, but I have to be honest there is a small part of me that misses the amp air blasting past my knees!! I don't necessarily think a Kemper is "better" than any other solution or option, but it is better for "me" and my needs by way of ticking more boxes than my old trusty valve amp, and tap dancing invoking pedal board.

KPA is clearly hear to stay.

• Agree, very sensible and I definately suffered from...I know its digital, it can't sound like a valve...

• You are right, I think this is why the powerhead + guitar cab for instance is dedicated to.
    Another hint, could a Buttkicker do the job ?

I get that with my unpowered head through my matrix amp into either my 2x12, 4x12 or just my Atomic CLR passive CAB.

• Interesting part of their discussion is that, and the Capt flat out says it, is it's all in their head why they prefer Valve still over Kemper. As the Capt said, when blind he usually prefers the KPA over the Valve. But, when looking and knowing, he suddenly likes the valve better.

Guthrie IS a luddite. His statement that modeling and profiling follows a mathematical Limit, I,e will never be as good as valve, is just plain wrong imho. Personally, I think it has achieved parity as far as tone, response, feel anything that matters, really. But, I think it luddite to say it can NEVER match, as it very likely will be better at some point.

• Actually,IMO Guthrie has the "right portion" of philosophy you need as a professional musician..and he he plain right.

It has almost nothing to do with quality of sound anymore but more with the basic things you need to practice the "religion",the "myth" of rocknroll.It is all about what "makes you feel better"..

As I wrote in another thread the tube amp is the "last line of defence" for a special feeling,a mindset consisting of feeling powerfull with the right portion of "anger" and the will to "revolt" as a young lad against the society,parents,church etc..it is a very,very basic human need while growing up.Or to get to the very edge of "rocknroll-philosophy" and push it to the psychological explainations about what rockmusic and ofcourse the electric guitar means:It is all about romance,wild life and feeling young.Lee speaks about this "romance" in the video and it is obvious that he is right about that just the idea about using a brutal,honest tube amp "feels right" instead of the digital way.I have read some very interesting articles written by famous psychologists about what the electric guitar stands for.Most conclusions by these guys are about "unmature young man carrying around a phallus symbol trying to hide their sexual insecurities" etcetc but till yet I never read about what I believe plays a really huge part and it is one of the most important (if not the most important) "role" of the electric guitar/tube amp as "symbol":It is plain and simple the ancient "god of power" sitting on the top of the highest mountain throwing lighting & thunder into the valley into the a@ ES of the powerless human beings.Zeus,Thor..you name it.It is ancient and a very basic feel/fear.It is all anout electricity,raw,brutal force and how to control it.Everything a young man dreams about.Everyting a young man wants to do.Changing things,revolting against the family and ofcourse doing all this by loud screaming,feeling almighty.

If I am right about this (and I believe I am) than it is just very logical that most people will continue to keep this "romance & anger" using the "raw,brutal force" of a simple,brutal,difficult to tame by the moment you just switch it on than to get lost in endless tweaking and editing before getting a "useull sound" out of any digital tool.Pushing the "power" button,waiting for the raw electricity in form of burning tubes to "come in" before you let the storm begin and using the "standby"-button.But then it comes...Eruption,Thunderstruck... ;)

Saying all this I would like to add that the Kemper is "simple from the start" if you have the right profiles and the right chain of KPA,power amp,cab/FRFR and so on..much more simple than any other digital tool out there.It has even big knobs,a chicken knob selector (very clever this,congrats to the Kemper-team) and with the toaster a form factor undeniable much more vintage than any rack size of thing.

The Kemper is "very rocknroll" and yes..here to stay.

• Spot on, Nikos! Great thoughts and a great summary about I (as well) think about Rock'n'Roll. :thumbup:

• Hasn't Gutherie got an endorsement deal with Victory?
    I am jut saying before every one gets excited and posts blah blah

If he has an endorsement deal with an amp company can he even get behind the kemper 100%?
    I dont know if he has or not , so what am i saying? keep that ISSUE in mind when these people get asked a Q about Kemper.

I would of liked him to be specific on what the Kemper cant do that his preference is doing ATM
    ..but any ways...

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Good point...and taking absolutely nothing away from Guthrie, but I think this answers your question:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.