Kemper vs. AX8 vs. Helix vs. BIAS Head - BLIND TEST!

• Great, it's good to stay on topic and this thread's opening post is about a video that was made in the spirit of fun.
    So the opening post video has caused some to say that they're all capable tools, Bias, AXE II and Helix. I'm saying the kemper is in a league of it's own. Let's forget about coming up with clips that match the Guido's and Top Jimi profiles as we all know, so far such clips don't' exist or no one can find them.

Let's make it a little easier :) Since AXE FXII and Bias are able to "Tone Match" (or are they not able? ?( ), it would be really awesome if someone who owns these devices and reading this thread would take a stab at "Tone Matching" the clips I posted of Guido's and Top Jimi.

Some think they can fool unsuspecting buyers of profiles into buying profiles of Amp Sims that no one can tell whether real amps were used or not. Here's a chance to show us how good your are. :thumbup:

Please try matching the clips and if you try and fail, please be honest and post. On the other hand if you if you get close, please post also.

Even I can shoot an IR of any modeler's speaker IR or Kemper or real speaker very very accurately using my own tools that don't include an AXE FX II or Bias so I think it should be easier for you because you have tools that are specifically designed for such Job. Let's have fun and see if we can quantify how capable these other tools are :thumbup:

• @Monkey_Man Thank you for wanting to help me man. It is greatly appreciated. I am pretty much done with trying to make other peoples profiles work for me as they were profiled to their style and liking. However, I am not giving up hope yet and working on my own profiles again with new gear.

@Dean_R can you record a short snippet of the profiles? I'd love to hear someone else use them and they actually sound good. Not doubting you, just curious to hear them used by some other than the seller.

• Here are mp3's using a Les Paul Traditional with 57 classics. Tried using a @Monkey_Man approved DI track, but I don't have everything setup correctly to do that yet. The Kemper profile is the 59 Superlead 5. The AX8 is my settings of an SLP to closely match the gain, but adjusted to eq settings I like. If you hear night and day differences then let me know. I went through volume rolling to picking with my fingers at the end using the volume at 10. I'm not knocking either my point is they both do well. @schreckmusic Some of the issues for me anyway are that the paid profiles and others are done for more studio setting and not live. When they are played live the thump is not there and that makes a world of difference. It would be best if you have a reference from people that emphasize the same preferences if that were possible.

Kemper 59 SLP 5

AX8 59 SLP

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8x1…Q-KNw3fLQPeU8YJpEkYa?dl=0

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited 2 times, last by bshaw92 ().

• For me it's about the digital fizz. In the video that started this thread, I picked out the Mesa and the Kemper in seconds (on my tablet speakers). I also hear the fizz in the AX8 in the tracks above. I imagine different people have different feelings on that sound, which really bothers me. And to be fair, that fizzy sound isn't just limited to the digital world. Modern Orange amps have it, and people seem to love them. It's just not for me, so I am sensitive to it, so I can pick it out pretty well.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Preferred the Ax8 here.

• @Monkey_Man Thank you for wanting to help me man. It is greatly appreciated. I am pretty much done with trying to make other peoples profiles work for me as they were profiled to their style and liking. However, I am not giving up hope yet and working on my own profiles again with new gear.

My pleasure, AntMan!

Great to hear you're not going to give up, man. Good luck with the new Profiling!

• Please try matching the clips and if you try and fail, please be honest and post. On the other hand if you if you get close, please post also.

Man you dont listen what I said before! we need to work on the same source = "Great played Track" we need DI track of this recording then we can start to compare diff sounds with the same track even if it is just one guitar track which can only telling me how good is guitar player thats all. SO again same source and then we can compare few sounds. Really is hard to understand that?

Stay Metal!

• Hi Guys , yes Youtube is not a valid source, however in the test i am referring too Chappers actually commented he liked the sound when it was LIVE through a CAB (not through youtube) He was doing a test to see if he could take the kemper and use it on the road and profile all his amps.
    they ran it through a cab and he INSTANTLY feel in love with the sound (and did not care if it was 100% or not)

Nw i have never seen chappers comment like that on the AXE or Helix and lets face it now chappers is taking it out on the road (and not an AXE or Helix)
    Chappers could have any one of those due to his endorsement channel. So to me that says some thing about the Kempers ability and how good it's OWN SOUND is compared to the competitors in question.

Thanks for the info on the twin, just like a plexi thats cool, i have a few different versions of the twin and all sound great.
    @Ant, all those clips and mastering were done WITH THE KEMPER, you can do the same thing just need to know how to do it.
    I would prefer you exhaust that brother first before selling it. Man dont do it (please)

Dean, try one of Sin's packs even if its the Razor , Kochtwin tone or Silver jubile (if you like that style)
    All cabs and his talent is worth TWICE the money man, please trust me on that

Sincerely
    Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• @ashtweth you are a good guy really! but TBH money is great but i dont need them if someone telling that im doing all of this just for money X( Why you dont see thats im playing in the same team? i want do this best i can! and only Kemper cant help me all story. Even if many of You still thinking i'm a dick fuck this :D can save the world 8o

Stay Metal!

• Nw i have never seen chappers comment like that on the AXE or Helix and lets face it now chappers is taking it out on the road (and not an AXE or Helix)

He did go crazy over the Amplifire. I watched those as well and each of the profiles are free to download and test. I got them and the Morgan is very good. Keep in mind that no one is saying the Kemper is not good, it is and I've had it for over 4 years using is solely. I downloaded the profiles/presets etc. from the video that initiated the thread, and dry they do not sound exactly the same. So just saying beware of the samples unless you can personally play it and test it (a lot of people echo this from the paid and unpaid samples out there).....and the new devices are in the same league. It doesn't make the Kemper bad but the truth is the truth and that competition drives the betterment of all devices new and not new.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited 3 times, last by bshaw92 ().

• For Dean:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the AXE 8 Video go to 4:22 and in the Kemper video go to 1:50. Listen to how the same licks sounds and judge for yourself which one sounds like a real amp

The guy above is doing Van Halen justice for sure but the amp tones are nothing to right home about. Actually they have this unnatural thing as evident as day light on a sunny day. When I played the AXE FX II, that's exactly what I didn't like about it. The good playing isn't masking the plastic synth like tones, I know this floats a lot of boats but didn't float mine. Even if the KPA wasn't around, I probably would have gone with the Helix because it sounds more like the real world amps than the AXE FX II. Of course IMHO

To hear what I'm talking about listen to this Video of someone playing Van Halen using Kemper and it sounds clearly more life like and natural and how I would expect a real world amp to sound like.

In case you might think that I'm being biased against the AXE FX, in the AXE 8 Video go to 4:22 and in the Kemper video go to 1:50. Listen to how the same licks sounds and judge for yourself which one sounds like a real amp and which one you prefer (you're lucky if you can hear them in the AXE8 because it doesn't sit right in the mix at all). To me those 20 or so seconds of audio show exactly what I talk about when I say the AXE FX modeling is so unnatural and so many others feel it and now you can hear it for yourself or can you? Listening to "Mean Street" In comparison the AXE 8 is so washed out in the mix it's not even funny!! You can't even hear the chords the licks or anything that resembles what someone wants to hear. Now contrast that withe Kemper "Mean Street" and the guitar fits almost perfectly or at least you can hear the chord, licks etc. It's different leagues and the difference is Stark!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 13 times, last by Dean_R ().

• The guy above is doing Van Halen justice for sure but the amp tones are nothing to right home about. Actually they have this unnatural thing as evident as day light on a sunny day. When I played the AXE FX II, that's exactly what I didn't like about it. The good playing isn't masking the plastic synth like tones, I know this floats a lot of boats but didn't float mine. Even if the KPA wasn't around, I probably would have gone with the Helix because it sounds more like the real world amps than the AXE FX II. Of course IMHO
    To hear what I'm talking about listen to this Video of someone playing Van Halen using Kemper and it sounds clearly more life like and natural and how I would expect a real world amp to sound like.

In case you might think that I'm being biased against the AXE FX, in the AXE 8 Video go to 4:22 and in the Kemper video go to 1:50. Listen to how the same lick sounds and judge for yourself which one sounds like a real amp and which one you prefer. To me those 10 seconds of audio show exactly what I talk about when I say the AXE FX modeling is so unnatural and so many others feel it and now you can hear it for yourself or can you?

External Content www.youtube.com

Much prefer the tone in the kemper clip. That being said, wouldn't you be able to achieve something similar by tweaking the AX8? I mostly use the kemper with profiles of my own tube amps. I've also used the AX8 for a short time and didn't feel the kemper was light years ahead imho. However didn't have the chance to compare them side by side quite enough. In any case still prefer the Kemper as the way of capturing tones just works best for me, no doubt.