To Keep or not to Keep .... * RESOLVED *

• Good, that the problem is solved.
    However, I can't understand why you didn't hook up your monitors or headphones directly into the Kemper and see if this would have solved the problem. (*)
    I think I would have tried this before even asking for help on the forum.
    I'm sure the question how everything was connected or the proposal to connect directly to the Kemper came up quite early in this thread.
    The actual problem seemed to be quitr quite tricky though..

(*) Edit: It wouldn't have solved your problem, but it would have shown that the Kemper isn't the problem.

• Thanks. The KPA was registered shortly after I finally sorted this mess out. :thumbup:
    Sonic

All though this thread, added with your others didn't quite add up at first, I'm very happy that you found what you were looking for in the KPA.............. Everyone here is always here to help, enjoy the new gear!!

• Only read bits a pieces of the thread but congrats you got to the bottom of it. As another user said I would have checked the Kemper direct first thing, might have saved you some hassle!

• Today I spent some time trying to figure out what is up with my DAW interface (Fireface). Turns out it is not retaining all the software settings once flashed. So this isn't even user error on my part. If the device was behaving correctly none of this confusion would have ever transpired in the first place. :cursing:
    Probably a driver error of some sort I'm guessing. As I said, I never used the Fireface before without the DAW fired up, so I'm not sure how long this quirk has been present. ?(

Anyway, I'm just glad to finally be enjoying the KPA, still in early stages of finding the right profiles and dialing in sounds....

Sonic

• Hey bro',

Is it just possible the Fireface's battery needs replacing? Kinda-obvious, I know, but I'm thinking that as long as you're sure your changes are being saved to the unit, power to the flash RAM would be the next port of call, wouldn't it?

Oooh, that's a good point! I'm not sure it has a battery but I suspect so. Will have to look into that..... Thanks!

• Hey bro',

Is it just possible the Fireface's battery needs replacing? Kinda-obvious, I know, but I'm thinking that as long as you're sure your changes are being saved to the unit, power to the flash RAM would be the next port of call, wouldn't it?

Nicky, I am not familiar with the RME Fireface...however, if it is using non-volatile "Flash" memory (e.g. EEPROM or NAND), than no batteries are involved. That is to say, NVM (Non-volatile memory) does not require source of power to retain memory state. However, If the Fireface has to synch to a clock, then yes, there will be some type of battery built-in. But, I would expect that system and user settings would be saved to NVM, and have no connection to, nor reliance upon any system battery.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Hey, that stuff's way beyond my pay grade, John; I only know it has caused issues with, for example, the MOTU MIDI Express XT USB and I think the Timepiece and other variants thereof.

You'd know the units. They're obviously-older, so perhaps that's why they required batteries (good ol' CR-2032s).

• The FF400 is 10 year old technology now if that means anything.

It seems to be saving the clock sync settings and even the output level settings of all channels ( I think ) but isn't saving the mute settings of the input channels. All input channels are left open ( at least the ones the KPA is on anyway ).

I wonder if the input channels are considered software controlled so those levels & mutes are not saved - the DAW needs to be running to control those? Short of a bug someplace that's my best guess at the moment..

Will keep looking into this and post back the findings if I figure out what the problem is....

• 10 years could easily mean it uses, probably, a CR-2032, in my limited experience.

Oh, and the issues I helped troubleshoot on the MOTU units weren't manifested as total memory failures; selective features failed to operate properly. Random inconsistencies weren't necessarily apparent, as one might expect.

In those cases, we on the board at MOTUnation recommended these folks change their batteries first, before futzing around. You might want to try this, Sonic.

• Congrats for locating the gremlins, Sonic. Now quite a few Kemperites are enjoying a relaxing cuppa tea after all the to and fro in your threads...(storms and teapots joke).
    Welcome, anyway. ;)

Never too old for rock'n'roll