First 24 hours with the K

• Thanks again for your kind greetings.

This forum is very cool, feels like a family.

Update....
    Used the K on a recording gig today.
    Way too soon to be doing that, but it worked out really well.

Even with my very newbie knowledge of the box, we were able to pick out some lovely tones on the fly.
    I am astounded to say that the tracks were sitting really well in the mix with very little tweaking.

Beyond that, the "feel factor" was the best I've ever experienced from an external box in a studio setting.
    So easy to play, even in the context of a big mix.
    It felt like I was playing through an amp.

Sorry for TMI...

I'm still in a state of awe.

Thanks!

• I'm now digging in a little deeper and finding gold nuggets all over the place.

This box is blowing my mind.
    After many years of chasing great guitar tone in an external box, I have reached Nirvana....
    The sound is heaven to my ears.
    Just picking a random patch and playing with the amp model adjustments, I can find something that inspires me.

I just made the mistake of downloading too many sounds from rig packs and the user forum.
    Only a mistake because I don't need that many sounds and it is becoming confusing.

As a new user, I need to find and tweak a bank of go to sounds.
    A basic bank that would cover most studio situations.
    Advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Beyond that, I realize that most of the folks here have already experienced the wonder of the K.
    I apologize if my enthusiasm is over the top.
    You already know what you have here.

Feels like driving a great car...

• My advice would be to start with Bert Meulendijk's free Kemper Rig Pack from the downloads section. It covers many bases. Then check The Amp Factory free rigs. They are superb and will cover any holes. For live and high volume, you'll be wanting to try MBritt's profiles. Take the free ones from Rig Exchange.

• Hi mate ,have you created a favourite folder in your rig manager?
    if not add folder and drag your profiles to the new folder,then select fav's on your Kemper type knob,
    and presto all your favourites in one place,also tick the auto favourite box page 3 of the system memory,
    hope this helps,
    Steve H

• Hi ! this is the only problem with the KPA, so much good profiles , too much choice is sometimes overwhelming, and you can go across the felling of 'fear of missing something out'.

Most of us had to go thru some screening process in order to narrow a good selection of profiles and make some 'performance' if you intend to play live. I made my own profiles and gave them a particular tagging to keep things well sorted.

I organized myself in a way I could cover most of my needs with just a few rigs, I record a lot and experiment lots of combinations. My way was to get a personal folder in my Rig manager. This folder includes a hundred profiles, sorted by guitar and pickup types, then by gain ( cleans, crunches, soft lead, drive rhythm, hard rhythm, leads). I use the search function to go across the 20 SC (single coil rigs) then sort by gain. I made the same collection for Humbuckers , P90 and Hollow body guitars, around 15 to 20 profiles for each.

This way I only have to grab my guitar and hit the record button, without going thru the hassle of selecting and tweaking again & again, not to mention volume leveling. I also lock most of my FXs. My profiles are mix ready and barely need any work at the mix stage (EQ and COMP stomps engaged if needed)

This was the best solution for me, and I also keep some 10 reference profiles I sometimes use from time to time and some FX ones (pads,delay presets ...).

Another option if you only use only one type of guitar is to select a profile that is good enough to have a great gain range, and tweak it like a 2/3/4 channel tube amp, resulting in a performance based on a single amp. This is was I used on a live gig before I made my own profiles. I used of Pete's profiles (AC30) that was sounding really great with my personal CAB. I just had two rigs for my live gig, Rhythm & Lead, old school method , but worked great.

If you have a great amp, I strongly advise you to test profiling and make a good selection of profiles that really fits your needs.

• Welcome to the forums, @guitweather!

Best way to test profiles is to do it in short sittings so that you don't get ear fatigue.

Also, keep favouriting rigs you like as you go along. Then, after you're done, use the option in the system menu to delete all profiles that are not favourites.

Repeat this again to whittle down your profile collection further.

Remember to do a back up before you start so that you lose none of your rigs. You can also move all of them to the local library in rig manager, then pick and choose which ones you want to load on the Kemper.

• Thanks for all of that great advice!

Excellent tips for narrowing down the vast array of possible choices.
    I will be diving in and attempting to do that.
    Your advice is very incisive and gives me a framework.

I consider your posts to be an incredible resource of information.
    So much insight.
    Years of wisdom shared freely.
    How cool is that?

I am honored and humbled.

Much gratitude.

• Welcome to Kemperland. Yeah, there are lots of good profiles both free and from vendors. Some (e.g, those by Hays) have been mentioned here. If you like cleans Bert and Michael Britt are great providers of clean or a tad overdriven amps. But don't forget The Amp Factory. There's a great Fender Bassman there in an early pack. Take your time with the ones you've got already. Preselect favourites and go back to them again after a few days. And don't forget to play, 'cause at the beginning we waste a lot of time browsing and playing little.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Thanks again!

One other benefit of the Kemper is that I'm very clearly hearing the imperfections in my guitar playing.

Hard to be in denial when the amp sounds are so clear and beautiful.

Looks like I have to rise up to meet the high standards of the K.

How cool is that?

I am so happy to be here!

• :thumbup: Welcome! The enthusiasm really doesn't end, so get used to it. Especially the way the Kemper team has treated us with continuing improvements on the same KPA since day one. Enjoy!!

• More enthusiasm from me.

Just did my first profile.
    I've been so amazed by the rigs that are already available, that I forgot about this option.

Just for fun, I profiled my Peavey Classic 20, a weird old combo amp with a single 10.
    Just stuck an SM58 in front of it at an angle.
    This was just a quickie test to learn about the profiling process.

Holy Moley!
    That was too easy.
    Maybe I just got lucky, but the resulting profile sounds very much like the amp.
    Sorry if this is a "Duh", but I am astounded.

Now I can tweak the details and even add the spring reverb that I always wished the '20' had onboard.
    It is now one of my favorite profiles... and I still keep playing and playing and playing....

Very cool!

I'm thinking I may be over-posting in the "Introduce yourself" topic.
    Consider me introduced and amazed.
    My apologies for too much wow...
    But it is true for me.

The K is the most fun and inspiring guitar box I've heard in years.