Kemper aint got the umph...

• Have no idea, but I liked the JTM1 sample the best.

Not sure about the umphh as I haven't played the Kemper in such a setting, but there are thing I still miss that I only get from some tube amps. The Kemper is the best I've tried so far, and I enjoy it very much, but it still can't clone every aspect of every type of tube amp behaviour.

• sounds like something isn't quite right. this setup, levelled correctly should sound identical.this could be due to the fact that the fx loop does something to the sound (now the whole signal is running through it) or maybe the relative volumes of Profiler Output (how much signal arrives at the power amp) and amp master volume need to be set differently.
    Best comparison would be between the amp/cab and a powered Profiler using a Direct Amp Profile of said amp/cab combination. You'll need a DI box that can deal with speaker (!) level signals to make a Direct Amp Profile

I have 2 DI boxes,A Live wire which is ok and the Kemper DI which is fantastic.I have tried many DAP's,I would think it would be better to profile just the preamp of my laney head eliminating the poweramp section completely,Rather than a direct amp profile when using my fryette 292 which is all tube.IMO It does sound better that way.I dont think this is a kemper issue. As Ive stated earlier,I've gotten the same results when using the helix,BIAS(thru a laptop)and the fractal AX8.The AX8 sounded the best over all.I still love the kemper tho and couldnt be happier with it,its the ultimate tool for recording.

• @joust
    by trying to eliminate the poweramp from the comparison, you added another unknown variable: the fx loop.

I repeat my experience that the amp in the room sound of:
    Amp A, over Cab X

is best be reproduced by:
    - Profiler with a Direct Amp Profile taken from Amp A (while Cab X is connected to capture the authentic tube power amp <-> cab interaction)
    - using the power amp of the powered Profiler
    - over the very same Cab X

now you can make a meaningful comparison. ;)

• Not to be obtuse. But, the Brown Eye is recorded at a significantly lower level. The dirty Shirley, super lead are a little better but still less hotly recorded, and the JTM1 was just a tad low ut the best recorded. The JTM45 is almost clipping into the Daw. Hard to compare like that.

• Not to be obtuse. But, the Brown Eye is recorded at a significantly lower level. The dirty Shirley, super lead are a little better but still less hotly recorded, and the JTM1 was just a tad low ut the best recorded. The JTM45 is almost clipping into the Daw. Hard to compare like that.

None of them was clipping in my DAW. Strange. I probably change the fader when bouncing the JTM45. Sorry.

The JTM1 is the real amp.

Regarding the rest of the clips, they are all recorded at the level of the profile. The different distribution of the energy in the frequency range makes difficult to put them at the same level so I left them as they were. And I agree with you. Comparing them it's super hard. No one in the world could listen to them, move the faders to taste and tell which one sounds better.

Edited once, last by pacocito ().

• Have no idea, but I liked the JTM1 sample the best.
    Not sure about the umphh as I haven't played the Kemper in such a setting, but there are thing I still miss that I only get from some tube amps. The Kemper is the best I've tried so far, and I enjoy it very much, but it still can't clone every aspect of every type of tube amp behaviour.

The JTM1 is the real amp. No matter how much effort you put into bring all the clips to the same level, it sounds better than those DI commercial profiles.

IMO the direct amp profiling is not as good as the studio profiling process.

Couldn't profile the JTM1 using the Kemper DI.

• I do not have access to a powered kemper so there goes that idea,but pauls suggestion is definable doable.

• Excellent. I've been waiting for this all along (see my quote from page 1). Good luck with it, joust!

I'd go a "Class D" amp if possible. Super-efficient, ultra-linear, cool-running and not-power-hungry. Can't go wrong, mate. I'd recommend one but I haven't kept up with the models out there. All I know is, I was blown away when this new class hit the market a while ago.

Obviously I too find myself pondering the amplification's effect on it.

• Excellent. I've been waiting for this all along (see my quote from page 1). Good luck with it, joust!

I'd go a "Class D" amp if possible. Super-efficient, ultra-linear, cool-running and not-power-hungry. Can't go wrong, mate. I'd recommend one but I haven't kept up with the models out there. All I know is, I was blown away when this new class hit the market a while ago.

Well it was Dons suggestion so props to him,for all I know I never knew there could be a difference in SS amps.I know a guy who has quite a few QSC,Crown and Carvin amps so i'll give it a go and let y'all know.

• Thanks man; hopefully it does the trick! Fingers crossed...

If we're going to be totally-fair, props should also go to Renaud for suggesting this first, in post 7:

The fryette is a tube power amp, no ? Don't use a tube amp with a kemper it will had too much colour and changes in the whole EQ balance.

the rocktron looks solid state but definitely not neutral too , same problem.

• So I was finally able to try the kemper with a different power amp,.Heres what happened.The guy I was supposed to go see to do this thing with was someone I sort of knew through someone else.When I called him his wife picked up the phone and told me he passed away last summer.I told her what I was trying to do.Even though she didnt understand me she invited me over to rummage through his equipment and give it a go.I threw my 4x12 in my truck and headed over there.Unfortunately I was not able to do very much with all that gear because most of his amps were a 2 ohm load(my cab is 16).I was able to try the kemper with a Carvin class D power amp.The result was unsatisfactory as there was no bass response whatsoever.Loud but very paper thin.The kemper sounded better with my fryette 2/90/2.I just ordered a camplifier 360 today.Maybe I'll have better luck with that.

• I think you will be pleased with the Camplifier. I bought the Camplifier 290 last year, as I had purchased my Kemper in 2013 before they had the powered version. I purchased the 290 with the volume knob option. Good choice for my purposes. I've used it with a single Line6 DT25 cab, a pair of DT25s, and with my Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab. I dig it, to my ears it sounds great (seems to be the case with any other ears that have heard it as well)! Be curious to find out what you think of the 360...

• I'm guessing that was minimum 2 ohm, and you could have used them just fine 8)

I wasnt about to start messing with things i know nothing about,I always read about the disasters of ohm mismatch.To bad I didnt have someone like you with me,it sure would have helped.

• I wasnt about to start messing with things i know nothing about,I always read about the disasters of ohm mismatch.To bad I didnt have someone like you with me,it sure would have helped.

Yeah, not a good idea with tube amps. At least not more than halving/doubling rated impedance. With solid state you can always go higher though, and as high as you want. You will only lose power.

• I was doing some web surfing and came across a video on youtube featuring Steven Fryette demoing a soild state amp they made.He was using a kemper.It sounded great.He then said he was using a valvulator with this rig.I bought one of these things in the 80's but never really used it.Mine is a VHT valvulator 1.So I started digging through all my gear and miraculously found it.Hooked it up and the kemper came to life.No boxy lifeless tone as before.The highs were crystal clear and the lows were round and warm.I dont exactly know what this thing does or how it does it but it works.Its probably coloring the tone but I think in a good way.Cant wait to try this out with the camplifier 360.

• The Valvulator 1 is a pedalboard size tube preamp, with a 12AX7A tube in it. It has a nice sonic character that can be modified by changing the tube.

I started using one with a Vetta, and used it with other Line 6 and Roland VG/GR gear.

If you like it, go for it :) It also can be a power supply for your stompboxes. I quit using mine when I got the Kemper. With the rigs I use, I could hear or feel little or no difference at home, and no difference live.

• My camplifier 360 arrived yesterday.Very nice piece of gear.The sound is very clear,not muddy and dull like I have previously experienced with other SS amps..And its LOUD.Im happy with my decision to purchase.

• My camplifier 360 arrived yesterday.Very nice piece of gear.The sound is very clear,not muddy and dull like I have previously experienced with other SS amps..And its LOUD.Im happy with my decision to purchase.

Congratulations. Glad you are happy with new amp. I just purchased a pair of Friedman ASM12 powered monitors. The big pile of stupidly expensive tube amps I have stacked in the corner have now become totally obsolete. I never thought I would say that, print that, or admit I was the one who said it or put it in print. The Kemper impressed me before I bought the Friedman's. Now it absolutely blows me away.