Not possible with the KPA?

• As said, you may be able to get the kemper to profile the power amp distortion as well. If it's minimal, not great, it can still work. Difficult to know where the threshold would be as it changes per case.

• with the preamp stage being pushed hard and the boss SD-1, isn't likely to assume that the amount of power amp distortion is minimal?

Nope, one has little to do with the other. Back then the JCM800 had just surfaced. Prior to that (1970's) cranking the amp until breakup was a common method. So that didn't go away with the arrival of the master volume idea. Rock guitarists through history always seem to want more gain. It wasn't until the in the later 80's when things started moving to overly saturated two-part preamps & rack amps (thinks ADA MP1). Then in the 90's further guitar amps began evolving to incorporate even more gainy preamps. The more time went on, the more the focus changed from power stage breakup (blasting the amp and/or using lower breakup tubes to coax things) and instead transitioned into more front-end gain stages and operating with a more clean power section, so to speak.

This is a bit of a condensed synopsis with some generalities, but essentially that is the general evolution, FWIW.

Sonic

• Recorded this a few years back. Sound close? If so, I can go back and see what profile I used.

my attempt at covering Vivian Campbell

Thanks for listening.

Thank you very much for sharing this. Very nice. rendition. This is also an excellent example however of the KPA trying to do a impression that is definitely not the gain structure of the original, it is quite different. This is a perfect example of what I mean by the KPA not sounding real to my ears. But rather a modeler of sorts. Maybe this will finally be accepted as an example of what I've been referring to for the last few months (and IMO unfairly catching hell for).

If you can recall what you used - profile (amp/cab), guitar and anything else it would be appreciated. Maybe I can use it to continue work/investigation from, maybe use it as a loose comparison to double check my KPA seems functioning Ok

Nice rendition on the recording by the way.

Thanks.

Sonic

• I used a Choptones profile of a Mesa Mark V named "MBMV23". Gotta admit I usually just grab a guitar & a profile and hit "record". That's the main reason I got the Kemper in the first place, which was to have a super easy, quick way to record what, to my ears, are pretty convincing tones without having to spend a bunch of time micing cabs, etc. Plus I don't have access to all sorts of different killer amps, cabinets, mics and don't have the means to record at the necessary volume levels.

I always record the Kemper direct via spdif. I played an Ibanez RG550XH for this one - sparkly blue, 30 fret thing.

I suppose the Kemper like anything else is in the ear of the beholder. For me, it's without a doubt the coolest piece of gear I own, and the first time in my life I've been able to achieve the results I've been after when recording in my modest home studio. I first read about it in an article with Wolf Hoffman of Accept, at a not so bright point in my life when I was about to give up playing guitar all together. The Kemper re-ignited the same desire to play guitar that I had when I started as a 14 year old - 35 years ago or so. Plus, if it's good enough for Wolf Hoffman, it's damn straight good enough for me...

• Thank you very much for sharing this. Very nice. rendition. This is also an excellent example however of the KPA trying to do a impression that is definitely not the gain structure of the original, it is quite different. This is a perfect example of what I mean by the KPA not sounding real to my ears. But rather a modeler of sorts.

It might not sound real to your ears, but Andy Sneap has proven that the KPA can replicate high gain just fine. Jump to the 9 min. 22 sec. mark for a comparison:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• IIRC, Campbell's tone was a Boss SD-1 into a JCM800. That implies a lot of preamp gain, which you can clearly hear on that recording.

My band covered this tune in the mid 80s and I used a BOSS DS-1 into a clean JTM-45.
    I always thought it sounded like pedal distortion. It's a pretty crisp tone.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Here's another example that I'd be interested hearing out the KPA but have yet to encounter:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I do however suspect this tone may easier to mimic on the KPA than the Dio tone though simply due to the type of tone and production involved. But listen carefully to the upper end of the gain registers which again are very indicative of power stage action.

Sonic

• Post cab block eq and stomps is how you'll probably end up getting anything close. I can't see how using stomps and eq before the amp block is gonna give you your magic tone. But don't try too hard, you might actually get it ;)

Serious and joking

• In light of the recent George Lynch posts...

Find a great Soldano SLO-100 profile

I still recommend backing off the stock profile's gain, a bit, and then re-storing similar gain level by using an OD boost stompbox in front, specifically the Kemper's "green scream" stomp. Also, do NOT scoop the mids...ever.

A few Soldano profile recommendations:
    Top Jimi (commercial)
    Lasse Lammert (Kemper free rig pack)
    Thumas -- "Soldano HR 4 Merged TS" of a Soldano Hot Rod 100 (free on Rig Exchange)

NOTE: I am not saying that Lynch used an SLO on the "Back from the Attack" album/era, but I closely associate George's killer tone (in general) with his use of a Soldano SLO.

Scroll to timestamp 01:18...and note that this was early after the Kemper release, well before the latest firmware upgrades.

Edited 7 times, last by Tritium ().

• Interesting..... I don't relate Lynch's largely Marshall-esque tones with a Soldano but am willing try to any profile that sounds like a real amp to my ears for direct recording of 80's style high gain tones.

Something just crossed my mind....

Based on what we already know, the KPA can do preamp OR power stage distortion, but when they mix together it can potentially create issues for profiling. However, there is another question mark that surfaces in all that....

What about the instance where the power stage is relied heavily upon for breakup, with the preamp NOT participating too extensively in the gain staging, however still being pushed by a stomp that, in itself, may be generating a clipped signal? Case and point, Back for the Attack release (video provided earlier in this thread). That was a cranked Plexi pushed on the front end by an overdrive/screamer (among a few other tricks). Point being, how would the KPA tend to react to THAT scenario??

Seriously guys, I think all KPA users and prospective buyers need to know this stuff. Granted I could eventually figure most of this out on my own but there is no way I'm driving across town with a rented U-Haul and dragging out of storage 30+ years of vintage gear (everything from amps to cabs to stomps and misc gadgets) and then spending weeks in the studio (plus hunting down some specific studio tools) all to try and profile amps just to figure out what the KPA can and cannot do. Sure I may end up with awesome profiles, and sure I could hypothetically sell them (especially since it appears there may be a huge gap in the area of proper tones I'm after). However that's NOT why I got the KPA, Rather it was for the opposite intent - to get away from having to deal with that massive headache of time and energy and expense I just described. (Plus to be able to track at home at any hour without fear of the authorities knocking on my door). The KPA has been touted specifically for direct recording and promoted by top notch studio producers. So it's not like I had unfair expectations of the device.

Part of what I'm still trying to figure out is the very basic question of what is the actual baseline issue? Is it a KPA limitation or rather a lack of proper profiles having been made as of yet. (Or maybe I haven't located yet?).

I really appreciate any constructive input and/or effort to help out. And thank everybody for their constructive input thus far.

Kind regards,

Sonic

• Interesting.....

Kind regards,

Sonic

Maybe the main Problem is, that you're comparing apples and oranges? One is the Kemper Profile. It's intended to give a accurate representation of a ready to record signal chain. With Amp, Cab, and Mic. The other is a produced song. After recording there are EQ's, Effects and Post processing applied to make it sound good. Often, the guitar sound changes massively in post production from what the initial amp and Microphone produced.
    It's the same problem i have with al those people trying to get Jimi's tone. A big part of what we hear today is lossy recording techniques (Tape, LP) and years of degredation of playback medias. But that's only my opinion...

• Part of what I'm still trying to figure out is the very basic question of what is the actual baseline issue? Is it a KPA limitation or rather a lack of proper profiles having been made as of yet. (Or maybe I haven't located yet?).

I think, as you rightly pointed out in a previous post, that the times have moved to favour preamp distortion over power amp distortion. It simply isn't convenient for amateur/semi-pro guitarists to profile 100 Watt amps at full blast to get that power stage overdrive (even my 1978 50W JMP is so loud that I've had to rethink my profiling opportunities), meaning that many (if not the majority) of profiles on the Rig Exchange reflect that fact. Modern tones bear the hallmarks of preamp distortion too, meaning many commercial sellers favour those flavours, as that is what their markets are expecting. Don't know if you know this guy on YouTube, but he's great at showcasing what maxed out vintage amps sound like in all their power amp overdriven glory. There are a few JCM800 showcases on there. Which brings me back to the Dio clip. To me, I don't hear much of that power stage saturation particularly, though I agree that it isn't all preamp distortion. It's more of a rough overdrive that's been quite heavily compressed and high-passed (the bass is responsible for A LOT of what makes the guitars appear bigger. They aren't particularly high in the mix in comparison, either). I think any comparison of KPA profiles would have to include the bass line to be a fair one. Having said that, havee you tried taking a low-medium gain profile, increasing the tube shape and putting a Green Scream or DS Stomp in front of the profile?

I hope it works out for you. When I sort out the logistics of getting my JMP (basically an early JCM800. Same circuit) profiled properly, I'll keep you in mind and try to make a few profiles that get close to the sound you're after. Until then, good luck :)

• Maybe the main Problem is, that you're comparing apples and oranges? One is the Kemper Profile. It's intended to give a accurate representation of a ready to record signal chain. With Amp, Cab, and Mic. The other is a produced song. After recording there are EQ's, Effects and Post processing applied to make it sound good. Often, the guitar sound changes massively in post production from what the initial amp and Microphone produced.It's the same problem i have with al those people trying to get Jimi's tone. A big part of what we hear today is lossy recording techniques (Tape, LP) and years of degredation of playback medias. But that's only my opinion...

Totally understand what you are saying and it is a very valid point. However, I have been doing this so long that I'm actually more used to a mice'd guitar than a live one, so that's not the issue. Most of the tones I'm referring to really didn't have a whole lot special stuff going on in the mix beyond the typical low pass, some EQ carving and compression maybe. Possibly touch of chorus, mostly basic stuff. What can however complicated matters is when multi cabs/mics/amps are layered in ways that mask any one given underlying tone. But even then, this isn't the real issue, I can actually hear differences in the gain structure (for lack of a better way to describe it). There is an unmistakable snarl and a harmonic gain breakup in the upper end of the tones I'm after that is just not there in anything I've heard come out of the KPA so far. Those two elements are almost always retained, even in full production recordings no matter what is done to the tracks. Again though, I get what you are saying, there's guys who may play the KPA and get frustrated about it not sound like a recording, or who don't know how to make it sound like a reference recording. That's not what is going on in my case.

• Have you tried taking a low-medium gain profile, increasing the tube shape and putting a Green Scream or DS Stomp in front of the profile?
    I hope it works out for you. When I sort out the logistics of getting my JMP (basically an early JCM800. Same circuit) profiled properly, I'll keep you in mind and try to make a few profiles that get close to the sound you're after. Until then, good luck :)

Thanks. Yes, absolutely, spent many hours learning the imprints the overdrive stomps impart. But those won't fix things if the underlying amp/profile is missing the core tone elements. Tried the stomps (internal & external) along with many amp/cab combinations. Seems the structural framework of the tone can be reached but some of the key elements I'm after are still elusive as of yet.

Sonic

• I am a bit besides the point, but there is a guitar only track available of "Mr Scary". Dunno if it's two guitars mixed together or not and probably a lot of reverb on them too, but it could be your best bet in terms of emulating the tone to tone/match amp it and the profile the match (without profiling actual amps). Or you could use TH2 overloud which has some Lynch tones.