Not possible with the KPA?

• Thanks for posting these, Chris. Awesome work and awesome playing. :thumbup:

However, I must say...there is a glaring absence of any Yngwie. What's up with that? Get to work. :P:D

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Indeed, John!

Or Vai, Hendrix, Page, Gilbert, Johnson, Wylde, Moore (either G or V), Sykes, Schenker, Lukather, Schon, Bettencourt, Young, Gibbons, Abbott...Just a few off the top of my head - I could go on and on.

I'll have to take my butcher's axe to some more of them soon. Maybe I'll try out some of Guido's new YJM profiles! I am however highly doubtful of being anywhere even near Yoda Malmsteen's mastery of the force though...

So much to try to record, so little time. Hail, Kemper!

• @SonicExporer

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but I have dealt with a similar problem ever since I got Kemper.
    There's a lot of nice sounds, but I have struggled to find anything that I REALLY like.

I have also looked for a 80s sounding tone like you, but not mainly. For me it has been more "simple", but still not easy to find.
    I love Rock N Rolfs tone with Running Wild during the 90s, which basically is just a refined 80s sound (Rolf never really abondoned the 80s sound at heart, but production was obviously modernized to some extent)

Anyway...

I THINK this is getting really close to what I want. So many profiles are scooped and "modern sounding" in a way that doesn't fit most of my own recordings, until I stumbled upon @sinmix free pack and a particular MRP 6262 profile, made with a Bugera amp (5150 clone, I think)

Anyway it has a VERY nice mid-range that I have not found in many other profiles. So I bought the 6262 pack from SinMix to explore this further, and yeah, that midrange seems to stay consistent on a few of the profiles!

So yeah, maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but it's possible that you MAY like it ^^
    (I have put notes on every different profile change!)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Note: I have no HP or LP filters on this particular clip, I left the EQ 100% untouched so there may be some rumble in the low end, and fizz in the high end.

Still, SUPER nice Kemper profiles that is the closest I've gotten to my ideal sound! I wont stop searching tho :thumbup:

• Yeah to be honest I STILL think the free profile is better sounding (for my taste!) than all the ones in the commercial pack... But still a REALLY good buy! $8 is a real bargain for the awesome sounds I will keep most of the profiles in the Kemper for a while and see what I can do with them..

I think I overlooked the 6262 profiles because they are made with a "cheap amp", I mean the Kemper costs x3 more than the amp, I think many of us looks for the "higher end" amps, but that obviously doesn't mean the cheaper amps can sound great 8o

• Yeah to be honest I STILL think the free profile is better sounding (for my taste!) than all the ones in the commercial pack...

Thx Man! and Hey easy I need to sold few my commercial packs :D becouse want to buy new cabs :thumbup: Anyway Have Fun! and yes who said more expensive = better and bigger = better sounding? :evil:

Stay Metal!

• But... $40 with no cab is better than $8 for a pack, isn't it, SinBro'? :evil: <3

Nice and tight, Ceddy. I note the heavy '80s cock-rock snare. Awesome, man.

I'd be tempted to use Pure Cab™ to dial some of the phasiness out a bit on a couple of the Profiles, but then again, it's a compromise 'cause the cancellation and reinforcement (comb filtering) in the high end helps tones cut through the mix.

Nice job, Sin and Ceddy. Hopefully Sonic is able to gain some sort of reassurance / inspiration for his quest from hearing that.

• Good you noticed the snare @Monkey_Man ! 8o
    Still looking for the best possible drum samples but I cannot find it. This is CLOSE but still not perfect.
    Somehow none of the sample packs I have tried gets it right.
    Not even Abbey Road 80s drummer.

If somebody was dedicated to make a sample pack with snare sounds from Skid Rows debut, the classic Metal Church snare or even Priests Turbo Lover I would be so pleased :D

Talking about snare:
    This is MINDBLOWINGLY awesome =O

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for the tip Cederick, I will download and check out the profile in the coming days.

I been very busy experimenting and tracking the last few days. Assuming my DAW doesn't blow up, I may post a clip in the coming days. Getting much closer to something usable, but not quite there yet....

And I will let that Turbo Lover snare drum reference slide, just this one time. :rolleyes:

• Cederick, check out this song, great band, writing and production. Right before this album was release the guys did a warm up show and I happened to be at the venue to meet with a label rep not knowing anything about these guys. We all ended up completely plowed. I'm still not sure about what happened that night. <X

THIS is what a great snare drum sounds like. And of course, AC/DC's Back in Black release, but that's a more obvious one.

• I respect Sinmix quite a bit about his honesty and openness when it comes all things KPA.

Just downloaded the Bugera profile and yeah -- dem mids. Sounds real, real good.

• I respect Sinmix quite a bit about his honesty and openness when it comes all things KPA.

Just downloaded the Bugera profile and yeah -- dem mids. Sounds real, real good.

OK, Checked Free 6262 perofile - all secret ready? :D Single Heil PR20 mic (love this mic) mic sounds very tight but also more midrangy and less fizzy compared to sm57, profile is unboosted becouse 6262 sounds very tight very very :D and the last thing cabinet: DL212FS-PS-PRO / V30 its my old David Laboga 2x12 cab loaded with V30 speaker but Chinesse :D compared this speaker to old mesa V30, well (tight fast scooped and bright as hell) so at the end tight sounding Amp - thats why unboosted, tight and scooped sounding cab - thats why Heil Pr20. All is connected :thumbup: But I'm here - all you need to do is a play great music! Fuck! :thumbup:

Stay Metal!

• @Cederick only in .gog format for use with Drumagog, but i like this snare - really deep sounding but probably needs some comp and eq.

http://www.brickwall.pl/cederick/

Stay Metal!

I have drumagog, but it usually crashes Cubase so I rarely use it anymore.
    Nowadays when using samples, I go with "detect hitpoints" on my audio tracks when I have recorded drums, and make midi notes, which I then put on a Steven Slate midi track or something like that.

But yeah, I tried the gog file you sent, but it only has two samples per velocity. Thats unfortunately bound to fail on faster drum beats :/
    Not bad sounding in itself tho, but not sure it's "80s deep enough" for what I'm looking for.

But thanks for sharing ^^

Cederick, check out this song, great band, writing and production. Right before this album was release the guys did a warm up show and I happened to be at the venue to meet with a label rep not knowing anything about these guys. We all ended up completely plowed. I'm still not sure about what happened that night. <X

THIS is what a great snare drum sounds like. And of course, AC/DC's Back in Black release, but that's a more obvious one.

Thats a completely different snare sound, but AWESOME as well :)
    I've heard them before but never listened much.

Sorry to hear about the label thing tho :pinch:

• Ok guys, after many weeks of struggling with all sorts of rigs and tweaking, here is a clip of the first effort to get the KPA to sound like one of the tone-styles I'm seeking.

The guitars are just 2 tracks (1 each hard panned) with EQ only. And a hint of delay on the solo. The tuning is off by a few cents and the playing isn't perfect, but that's not what this was about, just tone testing.

To my ears there's still the congestion issue, but at least I'm getting close....

Rainbow in the Dark Demo Clip

Sonic

• Still seems to lack a little bit of that power-amp-saturation bite you're after, Sonic, but it sounds like progress to me. In the mix at least, it didn't sound congested, but that's maybe just me.

Absolutely-monster lead playing, IMHO. Loved it, whoever it was!

It would be great to hear the tracks either mixed too-loud or in isolation, methinks; hard to tell what's going on precisely, probably just 'cause I'm on a CrapMac™ mono speaker, but at least I do have a reference in my head after hearing the original, isolated tracks on said speaker.

All-in-all, I'm so happy for you that progress seems to be being made, mate.

• Yeah, the tone is still a bit congested and doesn't quite have the power amp saturation right IMO. I chose that specific section of the song for a demo clip because it has nice breaks both pre and post solo where the guitars are playing mostly alone. I need to bounce the clip out again though as it cut off the outro of the solo break too soon.

I need to fatten up the solo just a touch in the mix, was trying to stay out of the way of the rhythm guitar spectrum. I dropped the solo for fun (although it wasn't fun trying to recall things since it had been a really long time since I last played it)

This isn't the end of the search though, I still encourage anybody who can do better on these 80's classic metal tones, or has any constructive insight to share, to please do so.

Sonic