New member question :-) about switching guitar

• Hello everyone it's my first message. English is my second langage but I will do my best to be clear. I project to buy a Kemper when i get the money ( in many months) I am very impressed by the product and the idea to tour with a simple set-up as well as working in studio with it. My question is about the different sound in relation to the guitars. Ex if we get a very good comination strat and kemper profile that sounds like Pink Floyd, what happens if I change the guitar and swith for a gibson.... will my kemper profile sound about the same or it will make a big difference? In other word if i prepare 50 sound with a strat plugged in a Kemper, will it dramatically change if I use a Gibson with the same profiles? Thanks a lot, i hope my question is clear. I wish you all avery good day playing guitar

• Welcome.
    Like any good amp the Kemper profiler will amplify and enhance what you put in, i.e. your guitar.
    The difference can be subtle or huge, depending on what different guitar types you use and what profile you might have dialed in.

The profiler will behave like any good amp.

• As Paul already noted, the answer is yes.

The Kemper will respond like any tube amp would. In other words, if you were playing a Strat through a HiWatt DR103, and switched your guitar to a Les Paul, then you can imagine that the tone will change accordingly, due to the different acoustic qualities of the guitar (body and neck woods, body resonance and sustain, scale length, etc.), and of course the pickups. The same exact principle applies with the Kemper.

Cheers,
    John

• Obviously, if a Profile is made of an amp with all its tone controls in a "neutral" position, there'll be more scope "either side" for authentic adjustment of the EQ stack when switching guitars.

What tends to happen is that any given Profile is usually made of an amp that's been dialled-in for a particular guitar and pickup, but there's still a surprising amount of scope for pleasant-sounding EQ adjustment. I'm not just saying this. "Surprising" means "surprising".

In addition to this, thanks to the plethora of Profiles out there, it's extremely unlikely that you'll not be able to find many that suit any guitar you care to plug in, in many cases without any adjustment whatsoever.

Welcome, Gforce!

• Thanks guys, thats very interesting... so when i will profile my sound I will try to use the same guitar after on show for instance lol. And at the same it must be fun to try the same profile with another guitar, or exchange profile like you do to get nice suprise. Or to adjust if its a bad suprise lol thanks for the quick answer... have a nice day everyone

• Hey, it's really only a matter of tweaking the EQ knobs upon guitar changeovers in most cases, mate, just like with a "real" amp.

You can save input-gain presets for each guitar too if output levels vary hugely between your axes and you want to use the same Profiles for both.

IMHO, it's probably easier to tweak Profiles for particular guitars and just call them up as needed.

• Gforce, there are global settings you can adjust to go from a Strat to a Gibson, search distortion sense and clean sense to start. Another thought is to add a passive bass roll off to humbuck guitars. I just added one to my guitar that has a hot Gibson humbuck bridge and Pearly Gates neck and I can get really closer tones overall to my Strat.

Welcome!

• Thanks guys, thats very interesting... so when i will profile my sound I will try to use the same guitar after on show for instance lol. And at the same it must be fun to try the same profile with another guitar, or exchange profile like you do to get nice suprise. Or to adjust if its a bad suprise lol thanks for the quick answer... have a nice day everyone

Its been sometime since I profiled but teh guitar isn;t part of the signal chain when profiling an amp.

My suggestion is, get your sounds right for your main guitar and then duplicate the sounds and set up another bank with tweaks for your other guitar.

At present I have 2 banks ( called performances) for one of my bands, one for my Les Paul and one for my Gretsch. in principle the same but both tweaked relative to the guitar.

• That is a nice thing about digital :)
    My strat had to less gain and volume on my Screamer witch was set to the output of my Les Paul and Lukes. An extra bank tweaked for that situation gives you the possibility to switch to another guitar and flatten that out.

Had a SC sized humbucker in my strat to match output but of course is costed me the twang. So I will have to set my Kemper (which I only own since yesterday) wright and then put the single coil back in. :D

EBMM Luke Black Sparkle | EBMM Luke Luke Blue | Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 | Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster

• Are your Lukes v1, 2 or 3, Da Vinci?

IIRC, the Luke Blue only applied to v2, no?

Luke 2 (see profile picture :))
    Both Luke Blue and Black Sparkle applied to Luke 2 if I'm wright..

Had a L3 for a few years, Olive Gold with all rosewood neck. Had some killer looks, but not my cup of tea soundwise. Thought about put some EMG's in it but dicided to sell it. Last december I could buy the Black Sprakle which I was gassing for since I first saw it on a Toto DVD my friends dad was watching in 2003/2004, when I just started playing guitar and made me buy a Luke in the first place.
    Love at first sight 13 years ago and didn't play another guitar since I have it. :love:

EBMM Luke Black Sparkle | EBMM Luke Luke Blue | Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 | Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster

• BTW I love the Luke lead tone in Rosanna etc. So if anybody had good profile it wil be appreciated :D:D:D

• I have made presets for each guitar i use. In my band I usually only use two guitars. Tom Anderson strat and a Tom Anderson tele. My tele is a shortscale and chambered guitar, and have a very different sonic apperance than my strat! With these two guitars and the Kemper i can cover almost any sound in the rock/country/blues segment. If I play a strat preset on my Tele. In my opinion my Kemper is more sencetive to what guitar i play with than my tube amp! the differences are bigger on the Kemper

• BTW I love the Luke lead tone in Rosanna etc. So if anybody had good profile it wil be appreciated :D:D:D

I have tryed som Bogner stuff, and can come close, but delay and reverb on th kemper can not match the Lukhater tone! I still have my T.C G-Force in my rack!