AC30 and JTM 45 Profiles - heh?!?

• First and foremost - I am not bashing or insulting anyone here, just my personal view.

Does anyone REALLY and TRULY hear any of the classic AC30 and JTM 45 profiles sounding like the real deal? I do not...

I have both these amps and have searched high and low (yes, all the "go to" ) people for the absolute best profiles and come up far short.

Anyone else on board here with me?!?

• Hey there, Phil!

Firstly, every amp's at least a little-different, and so is every listening environment. The chances that a Profiler miraculously matched your conditions is slim, hence the oft-offered advice to roll your own.

Secondly, in order to compare apples with apples, you have to mic your amps at the very least, and match the mic models and preamps used by the creator of the Profiles you're comparing to.

Lastly, are you aware of a more-accurate alternative to your amps? If you are, I'd love to hear about it.

• Hello All,
    I could go into all the details (and there are quite a lot) on all that has transpired to get me to have to ask others if they have experienced and concluded the same things
    as me regarding these 2 amps. I will need to refrain though...

I honestly thought hard about starting a forum thread about it as I know people have spent time, worked hard, and used their expertise on producing the profiles.

• Phil, have you tried profiling your amps?

That was the true wake-up call for me. Almost none of the commercial profiles sounded as good as my favorite amps in my studio. So I profiled my amps at my settings and was totally convinced after playing them on the Kemper via studio monitors. My self-made profiles were indistinguishable from my real amps in both tone and feel.

• That's the bottom line to what I was trying to get across, Rook.

If Profiling your own amps under the conditions you choose doesn't cut it, the Kemper's not for you, and neither will any other digital "modeller" be, for that matter.

Phil, don't worry mate! I'm sure you did the right thing starting the thread. Hey, if you don't ask, you may never know, right?

• I think AC30 are really well profiled in general, lots of them have that magic unmistakable chime. There are lots of them in the official rig packs

I use a free one a lot : mister may , available on RE, I think it's an AC15 but this one fits all my recording needs, both clean ( just reduce gain) , and driven tones , even leads. Lovely rig that one :)

this AC15 was used everywhere in that song :

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My experience has been that they don't sound like what I have in my head for those amps, especially as live, but as recorded they're very close.

You know though, if you have some awesome sounding amps you can always profile them and put the up on the rig exchange for us all to verify :D

• Thanks for all the replies, etc...
    Yes, I have profiled a JTM45 Offset reissue that I have and guess what - spot on!!
    Oh boy, I am really pleased to say the least
    Next will be my AC30 vintage You know, I am having a great feeling about the results of that one already.

Hey, did I mention that I AM VERY PLEASED TO SAY THE LEAST ! ! !
    :thumbup:

Thanks again to all, I appreciate you...

• Even if not on Rig Exchange, a Dropbox link here would be great to try out the profiles of someone who felt they were the best representations of this amp. I know every AC30 profile I've tried has failed to impress (and I've gotten the "big name" ones).

• i'd like to remind some of you that AC30 and JTM were made in an era where people only had choice between a few guitars , classics : strat, tele , LP ...

It's really important to play these guitars with these amps , don't expect an active pickup or HSS guitar to sound like a bright & low output pickup on vintage strat or semi hollow.

I don't want to be conservative here, but these combinations remained a reference from the 60's to now.

And Yes Phil, we are interested in the result of your profiling, please share and let us try these 2 classics.