Pirated Commercial Profiles on Ebay

• I purchased and ebay auction of Kemper Profiles and it appears that the seller just took a bunch of commercial packs and is selling them for a few bucks online. Obviously this is not cool. Is there a way I can report this to someone that can do something or are profiles in some kind of grey area legally?

• There is a fair bit of that going on. Report it to Ebay would be my suggestion.

THANKS a million for bringing this up, I'm sure others will have better actions to take.

I find it strange that I have never encountered a pirated profile on Bit torrent but I ran into this on Ebay.

• I've thought about the piracy issue too. Rig files are so small and you could pack 1000s into a rar file or so.

But I've found that the more rigs you have the less you actually use and the more you fiddle around. Your typical "log jam" situation...too many things getting in the way of each other, blocking creativity.

Rigs are generally so cheap anyway, there's just no point in pirating in my opinion. If you're a hoarder, I can maybe understand it. But if you're a practical thinking musician that wants to get stuff done you will probably gravitate to 10-15 profiles max.

I've spent maybe 100 - 150 bucks on all of my profiles (100% legal, not ripoffs on my system). Money well worth spent because the ones I buy from are still in business, supplying us all with more profiles.

I don't HATE piracy but I do think in our case there is just no point.

• Well said Raunch. I totally agree. I have a few hundred profiles I have purchased and I only really use 10 or so of them on a regular basis. If you have a few good cabs to use this number could be smaller. I have a dream theater tone I use, a couple megadeth profiles and some that are going for the 80's shred sound. I want to make sure our professional profilers keep making new products for us. I mainly wanted to let everyone know that those ebay packs are pirated work. There are plenty of amazing free profiles on the exchange to play almost anything.

• That is great. We will see if another post pops up in a few days. On a side note this pack did help me discover another profile maker and I was able to grab a few packs from for a reasonable price.

• Some people's kids... Yeesh.
    It never ceases to amaze me how some will try to take advantage of others.
    I dislike DRM, but I understand the need. Wouldn't like to see it on my Kemper, especially if I had more than one.

• Well ill search Ebay Australia when i am on there, i am checking it weekly :)

OT: how do you know whether your a pirate or not?
    You just Aaaarr you just aaar you just aaarrrrrrrr!!!!
    Sorry, you have my permission to shoot me :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• During the course of an Intellectual Properties Investigation the creator needs to verify this is their work being sold. Then a Cease and Desist letter follows by their Attorney. If sales or transactions continue the law suit is filed. The buyers of the pirated product are subpoenaed for deposition and testimony. Usually a settlement is offered or go to court. 8)

• During the course of an Intellectual Properties Investigation the creator needs to verify this is their work being sold. Then a Cease and Desist letter follows by their Attorney. If sales or transactions continue the law suit is filed. The buyers of the pirated product are subpoenaed for deposition and testimony. Usually a settlement is offered or go to court. 8)

Ain't going to happen with profiles especially when your using someone else's trademark.

• One thing I am really confused on is, how can a profile actually be trademarked? Are you trademarking your amp settings, the profile process? I find it weird that if you trademark the amp and settings, then would I be in a legal issue to create a profile of the same amp with the same settings? If you trademark the process then, could I be in a legal issue if I used the same mics, preamps etc? It does seem unethical to resale someone elses profiles but in the end would it really hold up in any court? Would the expense be even worth it?

• One thing I am really confused on is, how can a profile actually be trademarked? Are you trademarking your amp settings, the profile process? I find it weird that if you trademark the amp and settings, then would I be in a legal issue to create a profile of the same amp with the same settings? If you trademark the process then, could I be in a legal issue if I used the same mics, preamps etc? It does seem unethical to resale someone elses profiles but in the end would it really hold up in any court? Would the expense be even worth it?

I don't think it would hold up in court. Look at the world of real amplifiers. Almost all of the amps being sold today are copied from Marshall designs that were copied from Fender designs. A great example is the Peavey 5150. It was copied from the Soldano SLO100 which Mesa claims was a copy of one of their Mark amps.