Variax guitar: Seriously thinking of buying one, talk me out of it

• I was at the music store earlier today (lost my umbrella while there, gah) and I tried out a Variax guitar for the first time. I think it was a JTV-59.

I was really impressed, there was no latency whatsoever when using the modelling or alternate tunings.

They had one of those long scale Variax Shurikens in stock and the salesman gave me a great offer on one ahead of Christmas.

I was sold, but am I being too enthusiastic? I could really use the alternate tuning feature, the modelling also didn't seem so bad. Granted, it was through a tiny amp.

Plus, my other guitar is a really killer Strandberg. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

What do you think? Yay or nay? Talk me out of it, I may use the funds from an amp sale to buy one.

• Hi,

I used to own one of those

Loved all the sounds even the acoustic .... Strat, Les paul all were very believable ! The only thing I didn't like was the playability. Being used to my own strats and Les Pauls I somehow never liked the

feel of the neck and strings. For recording purposes - excelent! but it would never be my- "go to" axe for real playing .

I even used to own their acoustic version - same story - loved the sounds ,tuning banjo, 12 string..... Great for recording..... but no match for my real acoustic when it comes to playability or "real" sound!

• Personally I would not buy it - even if the sound is there. How can I explain?

Playability, form of guitar and other characteristics - for me - are part of the game. A Strat inpires me to play different stuff than a Les Paul. Even if you pimp a strat to "Les paul tone" - in the end it plays like a strat with "les paul tone" and not like the potbellied original!

So it's not about the quality or realism you can get out of variax. It's: How does it feel to YOU! I am totally unscientific towards such aspects. So maybe you shouldn't take my advise to serious and decide for yourself (for example I broke the toggle switch knob from my black Gibson LP Studio - I only had a white knob left from an unfinished project. Now I totally dig that guitar. And cause I do, it plays better than ever before 8|:thumbup: - could this really be? One day I make a blind test: black vs white switch knob :thumbup: )

• Never owned or played one, but my view:

There is no point getting one if you are not going to take advantage of its capabilities. Its almost like a different instrument that happens to play like a guitar. If you intend to use 10% of its capability then its a big commitment for limited use. Bit like having a Kemper but using it alongside a valve amp....you either make the switch or don't.

If for live you want to use the alternative tunings unless you are using multiple alternate tunings not much point - as you are likely to have your main guitar along side the variax. So you will take 2 anyway, so why not have a dedicated alternate tuned guitar...

Hope that makes sense, it did in my head :)

• I own a JTV 69 and it was practical enough as long I played with a Roland Cube 80. Even in this time I used the natural PU-Sound more than the models.
    Than I bought a H&K Tubemaster 36 and considered a bigger difference in sound quality to my Strat.
    It's practical for different tunings, but with the KPA I did not want to accept the sound losses anymore.

It's also a matter of personal taste, but ultimately it's just my problem to break up with a guitar that I still have it. ;)

• We have the JTV-59P (with P90s) at our studio and the P90 pickups are great. The modelled sounds and the alternative tunings are great for composing/arranging songs. We would likely never use it for recording but it definitely facilitates and speeds up composing songs.
    For this purpose and for its grest P90s I would recommend it :)

• Thanks, guys. I have an electronic math rock project with lots of alternate tunings (standard, drop D, B tuning, DADGAD) that I wanted to use this for. But playability is really important to me, I promised myself I wouldn't buy an instrument if it wasn't spectacular, so I guess I need to go in and do a real test of the guitar alongside my favourite axe and then take a call.

• With Variax is not possible to play palm muting technique. Absolutely not usable.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• With Variax is not possible to play palm muting technique. Absolutely not usable.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's interesting. I think I'll go down to the store tomorrow and try the one they have and make a decision.

External Content www.youtube.com

This guitar is the signature guitar of the guy from this band. Seems like he does quite a bit of palm muting, though it's not my type of music really.

• interesting to see what you think of it if you have a proper play with it! I was thinking of picking one up myself as i run my KPA through a Line 6 Firehawk 1500! The idea of not having to buy a 12 string and a decent electro acoustic for the sake of a few songs doesnt seem worth it but, having a second hand one of these for £500+ doesnt seem to bad!

• Had a jtv69 for one year with different feelings.
    The electric models are nice and useful.
    The alternative tuning were also okay for me.
    The accoustic models I dont like.
    Also the little bit more of latency with the kemper was the reason is sold it.