Sitar sound

• still sounds alright to me.
    dropbox.com/s/kuiyfa6mr6jn22u/Sitar 01.mp3?v=0mcn

considering that creating a sitar like sound with fx was never a goal of the Profiler,
    it's a decent effort, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

This is a reply from Don Petersen to a comment of a member who questioned Don's results to make a sitar sound. Don put a soundclip to his reply it and it really sounds very convincing to me.The clip is still available in his reply from Sept. 16th 2016 https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuiyfa6mr6jn22u/Sitar

Anyway, I tried his PITCH Wide Sitar 2 (if that's the one!) but his sound doesn't come anywhere near to what I hear in his clip. There he shows a really sitar sounding guitar. But this is how it sounds when I use it...

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0j9e1mrpXLc

Don Petersen or anyone else for comment..?

• The 1st clip sounds stereo and yours sounds mono, but also you are not playing a drone part. I have to say it sounds like a different patch too though.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I don't understand drone part. What is that?

That rig is the only one (of 15.417) in Rig Manager. And the one of Don Petersen nails it! If it's a different patch, then where to look for this one..?

• the "drone" is that background sound from the sitar, produced by the "sympathetic strings"

if you do a simple research on the "ehx ravish sitar" you can check this out

the drone is an echo, have different notes from the ones you play, but you can adjust the scale of then either on the real sitar or with the ravish

i think the drone part must be a reverb, echo or delay, it is a background sound and should not be played on a separated track

before i have this ravish sitar, i used to reproduce the sitar using the boss gt sitar effect and by playing something that seemed to be a drone at the same time that i was doing the solo part, also some rythym...

BTW i did not found this rig at rig's exchange

• Sitar music is a complex beast and it takes years to master it :)
    But to at least get in the ballpark of sitar SOUND, you need to say bye bye to "melody". A good way to start is to listen to Tanpura. Yes it will be pretty boring when you try to listen for an extended period of time. But that's basically the droning part of what you also apply in Sitar playing. Droning is kind of the basis. Then on top of that try to play with lots of bendings and/or slides. Try to keep the tone going.

It's a bit ridiculous that I try to explain it in just a few words. As I mentioned before, it takes quite a while to get into it. Listening examples of Tanpura and Sitar on Youtube certainly helps a lot.

• the drone in my example is simply an open string.
    for example, I would use the open b string, then I would add notes from B Phrygian Dominant on the e string

root - minor 2nd - major3rd - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - minor 6th - minor 7th

in tab:

Code
    --7--8--11--12--14--15--17--
    --0--0--0---0---0---0---0---

use alternate picking or double-stops or what sound right to you

hth

• Were you using the same rig (PITCH Wide Sitar 2)?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• [Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/fSJrHFk.jpg]

• if you do a simple research on the "ehx ravish sitar" you can check this out

the drone is an echo, have different notes from the ones you play, but you can adjust the scale of then either on the real sitar or with the ravish

Earlier I did a research on the Electro Harmonix Sitar (€ 239) Sounds great, but since Kemper obviously can achieve this sound why buy that stomp?

• And I know you need an alternative tuning: 1F - 2C - 3G - 4C -5G - 6C . So I did that. But only this doesn't make the sound...
    Or: B - F# - B - F# -B - E. But now the specific sound of a sitar to add...!

• As I understand it, the drone note is the same as a pedal tone...a note that continues to ring out whilst you play the melody...bagpipes do the same thing..

The point here is, it will only work for certain types of music/songs and you may have to change key ( as the easiest way is to use open strings)..

• Earlier I did a research on the Electro Harmonix Sitar (€ 239) Sounds great, but since Kemper obviously can achieve this sound why buy that stomp?

Ravish Sitar manual has a good explanation about the sympathetic strings, is just due to this that i mentioned it

also ehx's ravish can do a bit more than other digital sitar simulations, but you are right, if i had brought my kemper before i would have saved money (a good amount of it)

yes, drone is a pedal tone but ravish does a randomic drone based on the sympathetic scale, you can input notes, you can choose major or minor scale and exotic scale too

i cannot found this Pitch Wide Sitar at rig exchange, i would like to give it a try too... i would like to study this rig and learn more how to get this complex effects with my kemper!

• This is the rig with another amp and another cab.

Base tone B in the loop, drone B , melody played with high e string

Indish curry

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It‘s the rig from Don ( Pitch wide sitar2)
    I changed the cab to a 1960 fredman from Deadlightstudio and the amp is a clean mesa boogie rectifier. All fx from Don, nothing changed.

• I guess you mean 1960 Friedman but this is a live cab, I found a Tills Recto Clean 2 in RM but I understand it's the combination with the cab and Don's fx. that does the trick .
    So in the end this sitar sound is out of reach for me. Too bad...

• No, I mean a marshall 1960 with a fredman micing.
    I combined this cab sim with the amp. Very easy. But also with Don‘s settings you reach this sound. It‘s a question of playing technique,

• I guess you mean 1960 Friedman but this is a live cab, I found a Tills Recto Clean 2 in RM but I understand it's the combination with the cab and Don's fx. that does the trick .

Send me a pm with your e mail address

I just chose a nice clean amp for this rig - nothing special about it, well besides sounding quite nice.
    The tone is in the pickup (as acoustic as possible, humbuckers won't really work) and in the fx.

• I just chose a nice clean amp for this rig - othing special about it, well besides sounding quite nice.The tone is in the pickup (as acoustic as possible, humbuckers won't really work) and in the fx.

An air chorus in front of the amp is also a cool addition and today I pushed up the mix of the delay a little. Really a good sound. Changed to a clean carvin today.