Kemper 2 expectations

• What is the point of a discussion if someone does not respond in principle to what has been said, sometimes at least with "yes but..." and usually claims the opposite in a reflex manner.
    I note that the tone is moderate and polite and yet I miss a kind of empathy that is necessary to communicate.

Emotional reaction to such a kind of communication will probably lead to further confirmation of one's own superiority and seem to be directly desired.

I recommend that more sensitive minds avoid such communication,
    It inevitably ends in confrontation and never solves a factual question.

• I plugged into my toaster last night, first time in a week, busy dad here.
    It sounded as awesome as always. What's the point asking for kemper 2?
    You want a new machine just for the sake of spending money again - axe fx III is what you need. Period.

• We two talk about doing "experimental music"..dont we;I am not wrong about this;Using a dozen fx in the same time is-like it or not-an experimental thing to do..it is not what you will need for "usual rock & pop" kind of stuff.We two here in this thread in reality talk about all kinds of "ambient" kind of sounds when we talk about "a dozen fx",right;

Despite all "subliminal agressiveness" I get here from various people in this thread it is not an attempt from my side to "belittle" someoneone or to "proove my superiority because I know modes" when I try to say that doing experimental music you need to start from the music and then you will try to find the "right instrument".It is just a fact.Nothing will change this."Experimental music" is something you desperatly will need some knowledge/musical education for.You will not be able to do "experiments" using the same five-seven notes from the only scale you know to achieve "experimental results" beyond the stuff we have already heard a million times.No matter a dozen or a million fx.Not true;

And before I continue..I have the greatest respect for every person doing music.More so for people who spend most of their working day working,feeding their families,working their arse off to grow their children and still trying desperatly to save some 60 minutes for doing some music late in the eveming before they fall "deadly tired" into their beds to be ready for the next hard day..ofcourse many of these guys will be happy to have a tool which can do "everything..just in case"..but it is only logical that for reasons of time they will not care much about "experimental music" or at least dont have the time to spend all the resources for doing this kind of sound seriously.All good.

But there are also other guys out there who spend a lot of time doing music.Many of these people will know some stuff.Not "everything".And still learning.And when they decide to "go experimental" they will ofcourse do so "big time".Spending a lot of time & money for travelling..meeting other musicians from various cultures,environments etc just to try "new stuff" and OFCOURSE fx will play a huge role for this "attempt" and experiment.But in any case they will start from the music & "unusual rythm"/complex beats and not from the hardware.

Saying all this..I hope any (if ever) Kemper2 will help me doing my experiments with new "basic sounds".Stuff which will enable me to make my guitar sound like other nice stringed instrument out there.Ofcourse this is just my wish.I have said so already in the past.

Though I respect anyone who wishes for anything else from a Kemper2.But again..the AF3 will be hard to beat on this playing ground ie processing power,routing and "more" of fx and everything else.

In the end it is all about what you need and where you come from.Personally I come from "learn the rules and break them".Old rule I know.But this rule was never more true than today.

• I plugged into my toaster last night, first time in a week, busy dad here.
    It sounded as awesome as always. What's the point asking for kemper 2?
    You want a new machine just for the sake of spending money again - axe fx III is what you need. Period.

I just bought another tube amp that I received few days ago, knowing it was just for the sake of spending money again as you said.

I profiled that amp and got almost identical great heavy tone. Later I loaded my favorite profiles and they sounded almost the same as my own profile and some sounded better. So if the interest is in amp tones, I honestly wonder how can it get any better.

Some people have cranked both the PReamp and Power amp of a tube amp at the same time and didn't get accurate results then they claimed the profiling isn't accurate, when the manual specifically says that Kemper doesn't support and will not give accurate results when cranking Power and Preamp, because the tone would be really unusable and nobody who's anybody ever used that.

Now the million dollar question is does anyone even realize how much usable Preamp gain in some of the modern amps? 1 to 3 maybe with week single coil might be the answer.

I think it's great having tube amps, because it keeps giving you a good reference tone so if you get tired of the same profiles and might think that the grass is greener, you can profile your favorite tone and find out, it's already there for you inside the Kemper with much more flexibility. One of the nicest advantages of using Kemper is a lot of the time if your amp is noisy, the profile is much less noisier based on my experience.

• We two talk about doing "experimental music"..dont we;I am not wrong about this;Using a dozen fx in the same time is-like it or not-an experimental thing to do..it is not what you will need for "usual rock & pop" kind of stuff.We two here in this thread in reality talk about all kinds of "ambient" kind of sounds when we talk about "a dozen fx",right;

Firstly, there are artists who use a dozen or more effects simultaneously who are not considered experimental, though I'm not particularly concerned with whether you believe otherwise. Secondly, music is subjective, and the quality thereof doesn't amend itself to empirical verification, thus there are no rules with regard to writing it, merely opinions. Third, I don't write experimental music and anyone who's heard my music would know that. Lastly, categorizing music you haven't heard based solely on the number of effects used is akin to categorizing food you haven't tasted based solely on the number of ingredients used.

• The examples you gave yourself sound pretty much "ambient" to me.

This is what you said:

Robin Guthrie from Cocteau Twins, Marc Byrd from Hammock and Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead just to name a few.

And yes..everything "is subjective" and nothing in art does need "empirical verification" and in the end we are all dead.

Sorry..this is not very constructive and I dont have the time for being that political correct to say Yes" and "amen" to everything out there in fear not to appear a nice guy or "open minded".

And btw..still you did not even try to explain to me WHY it is so bad to have some musical education and whyx it is "so much better" instead to spend so much time on www for demanding "more fx" from a developer for the sole reason that "other developers have it"..

For my part indeed I dont have time anymore for this kind of "reasonable and constructive" discussions.Enough.

• I'm not sure how many are aware of how powerful and musical the KPA effects are, you have 8 simultaneous effects with a ducking feature that is unique to Kemper. that really sets the Kemper apart for me from all other effects professors regardless of how many effects they have.

If you can wrap you're head around the Ducking feature as implemented in the KPA, you will discover more usability and more creative potential that doesn't exist in any effect processor that are currently in the market. An example would be EQ that's mainly active the softer you play with your fingers or vice versa,

You're not limited to EQ. and can creatively apply effects based on how hard or soft you play. Name one processor out there other than the Kemper that gives this much control over dynamic and effects and then convince me why Kemper should even look to try to copy and see what other companies are doing.

What's actually happening is the opposite as anyone who's watching can see, trivial stuff such as colorful leads are being copied by other companies but don't worry, they can't copy the profiling in our life time, as it's a trade mark..

• In the meantime it’d be cool if morph states had a visual, like other parameters, mix for instance, but that is always displayed somewhere on the screen whenever the pedal is engaged between 1 and 127.

With very good eyes you can see a very thin dark line growing from left to right in the middle og the KPA Display.
    Is it what you miss?

• The examples you gave yourself sound pretty much "ambient" to me.

This is what you said:

Cocteau Twins, of which Robin Guthrie was the guitarist, isn't classified as ambient, nor are guys like Devin Townsend, and not all ambient is necessarily experimental, either.

And yes..everything "is subjective" and nothing in art does need "empirical verification" and in the end we are all dead.

Obviously not everything is subjective, however matters of preference certainly are, and music is undoubtedly a matter of preference.

Sorry..this is not very constructive and I dont have the time for being that political correct to say Yes" and "amen" to everything out there in fear not to appear a nice guy or "open minded".

No one has asked you to be a yes man or agree to everything in the name of open mindedness. Obviously you have preferences, but let's not mistake our preferences for facts with respect to artistry.

And btw..still you did not even try to explain to me WHY it is so bad to have some musical education and whyx it is "so much better" instead to spend so much time on www for demanding "more fx" from a developer for the sole reason that "other developers have it".

Firstly, I never said nor implied that an education in music is bad. In fact, I said, "music theory is great and all, but many hit songs have been written by people who play by ear and are self taught." In other words, an education in music isn't necessary to write great songs. I'm hardly opposed to it, though. Secondly, if suggesting improvements is akin to making demands then apparently the developer is fine with users making demands because they devoted an entire section of the forum to it(ie. "Feature Requests").

For my part indeed I dont have time anymore for this kind of "reasonable and constructive" discussions.Enough.

If you don't want to continue the discussion, that's up to you.

• What I'd like to see from the Kemper are more features.
    Selectable sample rates, which then also help with...
    The Kemper as a VST for the main purpose of just recording a DI and being able to the switch the sound quickly as if reamping, but without running a million cables, going through unnecessary conversions, and getting instant result without ever the need to print the track... kind of like any VST would work.
    Reamping is a chore, and you need two Kempers to adjust two tracks at once.

It would make life much easier auditioning tones in a mix etc. That's the main advantage of VST's, and perhaps the new Helix system.

Btw, I don't think the AxeFXIII has selectable sample rates or ever will... and that's one way to stock it to fractal. Oh yeah.. and audio over USB might be nice too.

• Audio over USB would be cool for those of us who don't have S/PDIF, such as myself.

As for a full-blown plugin, and I've said this many times, if I were Christoph I'd avoid this like The Plague:

Firstly, a plugin will be cracked and appear for free all over the 'net.

Secondly, would you want to expose your unique, patented, extremely-valuable code to potentially falling into the hands of the competition?

• Sadly I fully agree with you on the plugin. As soon as code is on a computer it is vulnerable and it would diminish my feeling for the Kemper if anyone could download it for free.

I tend to think of the Kemper as an amplifier like any other though and they all need reamping.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Audio over USB would be cool for those of us who don't have S/PDIF, such as myself.

Audio over USB is a pretty useless feature for a device like the Profiler (or the AxeFX or any similar product), imho.
    People should rather buy an interface with more IO than a bunch of Audio over USB devices and getting serious headaches from trying to combine them (aggregate on Mac) to act like a single interface in their DAW.

• Audio over USB is a pretty useless feature for a device like the Profiler (or the AxeFX or any similar product), imho.People should rather buy an interface with more IO than a bunch of Audio over USB devices and getting serious headaches from trying to combine them (aggregate on Mac) to act like a single interface in their DAW.

I disagree.

I too would like to have audio over USB since I keep my Kemper connected to my DAW computer at all times, so it would be very convenient to have that feature for people like myself, who use the Kemper in the studio. Perhaps this is a problem on the Mac OS, but it's not like that on Windows.

• I disagree.

I too would like to have audio over USB since I keep my Kemper connected to my DAW computer at all times, so it would be very convenient to have that feature for people like myself, who use the Kemper in the studio. Perhaps this is a problem on the Mac OS, but it's not like that on Windows.

It works fine if you only have one device, but when dealing with multiple devices that offer audio over USB, it can be a bit of a headache.