Faster rig change time when switching between performances.

• I finally took the plunge to performance mode (always used browse mode). I have my rhythm sounds organised in one performance and lead sounds in another. When going from one sound in my rhythm performance to another in my lead performance there is sometimes a huuge lag. Up to a second. Browse mode was never fast (rig switching time is about 200ms) but a whole second is just too much for me.

Guess it’s back to browse mode.

I am using a standard midi controller (fc200).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• There must be something external causing this, or your unit is faulty. My Kemper toaster has lightning fast swithing, be it in performance or browse mode. It is by far the fastest unit with regards to preset switching i have ever owned (inlcluding an Axe Fx ultra, hd500, gsp1101) with great delay and reverb spill-over.

Make sure that the Kemper is not connected to your computer with usb, this can cause lag), but even then, switch time is nowhere near 1 second..

Make sure you’re updated to the last non beta firmware...

Also, use you ears. The display sometimes lags behind which can make you believe the switching is slower)

• Nothing external causing this. Making the same switch on my ancient gx700/jmp1 setup, now that is fast.

Within the same performance it is reasonably fast. It is when switching between sounds that is in different performances the lag occours. And yes, i use my ears not my eyes ofcourse. When i am on a stage i am not looking back checking my kemper. Nor am i ever connecting the kemper to a computer.

• No problems with the remote here, but I have organized my performances otherwise.
    Rhytm, chrunch, solo and clean in one performance. Switching delay zero.

It was the same in my fcb times with the uno4 kemper chip.

There must be something wrong in your system.

Cheers
    Frank

• which is why you are not experiencing what i am. All you sounds is organised in one single performance. Mine are organised in several. Within one performance, no problem.

• I see. There are some parameters to set in system menue about switching. Maybe you have to checkout the options to switch ( manual maybe helpe you out).

For me it is not so logic to organize rhytmsounds in one performancebank and solosounds in another when i need it in one song. Thats what performance mode for me is designed for. Make a performance for your performance

Peace

• I see. There are some parameters to set in system menue about switching. Maybe you have to checkout the options to switch ( manual maybe helpe you out).

For me it is not so logic to organize rhytmsounds in one performancebank and solosounds in another when i need it in one song. Thats what performance mode for me is designed for. Make a performance for your performance

Peace

Yes you are right, i am probably “asking too much” of performance mode. I am having it setup that way because i play regurlarly in 4 bands plus substituting in several others. So i can’t have one performance for a song, there would not even be enough performances for that. I need to be able to judge on the fly what sound is apropriate for a song on that particular gig.

• Yes you are right, i am probably “asking too much” of performance mode. I am having it setup that way because i play regurlarly in 4 bands plus substituting in several others. So i can’t have one performance for a song, there would not even be enough performances for that. I need to be able to judge on the fly what sound is apropriate for a song on that particular gig.

This is how i use my KPA. i have about 6 performances, one for each "style" of music, so depending on the song (or what mood i'm in), i jump between performances to find a particular sound.
    The performance-jumps that take the longest to load are the ones that appear most different. ie, my stomps and fx are nearly the same in each slot and each performance but those that contain a different "layout" can take a little longer to load up.
    Whenever i do, i usually hop between 2 or 3 performance but more than often stay within the same performance for the whole song and it does takes a little longer than jumping between slots within the same performance. (which is how it was designed to be used, i guess)
    Having said that, there is not a delay that is long enough to be an issue for me.

Perhaps having many performances adds to the delay, i don't know nor can confirm- maybe some one else can?

• The performance-jumps that take the longest to load are the ones that appear most different. ie, my stomps and fx are nearly the same in each slot and each performance but those that contain a different "layout" can take a little longer to load up.

This might be it. Though it seems a bit more random to me.

• I'd advise to stay with one performance per song. The switching between slots is optimized for this. Switching a performance means that there are 5 rigs to load which takes more time than 1 rig.

• I'd advise to stay with one performance per song. The switching between slots is optimized for this. Switching a performance means that there are 5 rigs to load which takes more time than 1 rig.

Yes that was what i was thinking. Back to browse mode for me. The way i need my sounds (playing with so many different bands, sometimes even having to soldier through songs i haven't even played before) access to only 5 rigs at a time is just to limiting.

• If you use Morphing effectively you could have up to 10 sounds in one Performance.

Unless i use more than 5 different profiles ofcourse ;)

Anyway i guess what i am asking is some form of optimisation that will allow faster loading of a new performance when changing via midi.

I can make do with browse mode, but i am finally getting used performance mode and the way you can tweak a rig without changing the “parent rig” in the pool. A feature i find to be really really well thought out.

• In the interest of fast switching we have already optimized Performance Mode. As a consequence, if you load a new Performance all up to five Slots are preloaded and you can then switch quickly amongst these. We don't want to take a step backwards in this area. So, I guess, you need to investigate, how you can organize your sounds - including stomps and morphing - in a way, that reduces the need to switch Performance in the middle of a song. Perhaps you could setup additional Performances with different combinations of the same Rigs based on musical style.

• In the interest of fast switching we have already optimized Performance Mode. As a consequence, if you load a new Performance all up to five Slots are preloaded and you can then switch quickly amongst these. We don't want to take a step backwards in this area. So, I guess, you need to investigate, how you can organize your sounds - including stomps and morphing - in a way, that reduces the need to switch Performance in the middle of a song. Perhaps you could setup additional Performances with different combinations of the same Rigs based on musical style.

Imagine how impossible that would be when going on stage without a setlist ;)
    Even more so if it is a substitute gig where you might not even know all the songs. Singer calls out a song i don’t know. 1-2-3-4 play. Now if i have to use the first verse to mess with finding what performance might suit the song best while simulteanously trying to learn the song on the fly.... maybe there are people out there who can do both, but i need my sounds to be there at the push of ONE button only so i can concentrate on playing.

Mess with my sounds and mess the song up. In my world that means you do NOT get the gig next time around.

A little quip: I am a little sad though that the answer to a feature suggestion is “you are holding it wrong”. Makes me hestitant to go in here and even suggest anything again. And if you do not really want feature suggestions then that part of the forum is a bit pointless.

As i said, back to Browse mode for me. I don’t mind. Performance mode is not the right solution for me, unless a performance can one day consist of ten rigs instead of only five. But please don’t make rig switching in Browse mode any slower :)

Edited once, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• Thanks for explaining your work flow even more in detail!

Please accept, that we are interested in such inputs and at the same time looking for ways to fulfill needs with existing features without adding another mode, another philosophy, another twist, another option, .... and consequently increase the complexity of the product. These are trade offs. Often a bit of creativity and flexibility is more effective in the interest of the whole user community.

But I understand your specific case!

• Imagine how impossible that would be when going on stage without a setlist ;-)Even more so if it is a substitute gig where you might not even know all the songs. Singer calls out a song i don’t know. 1-2-3-4 play. Now if i have to use the first verse to mess with finding what performance might suit the song best while simulteanously trying to learn the song on the fly.... maybe there are people out there who can do both, but i need my sounds to be there at the push of ONE button only so i can concentrate on playing.

I understand this is a feature request but we are also asking if there are other ways to look at this to try and help...

I don't understand how browse helps....if you have multiple rigs set up specific to each song, then you will never negate scrolling through loads of profiles let alone the load times...surely the scrolling takes more brain power and time? I have a 3 performance set up for 2 bands. One of the bands I use a gretsch and I have a specific set of performances for that because it sounds so different.

You must have had a similar issue with a regular amp and pedal board, unless you board was enormous?

Can't you have a performance for say "rock" songs and one for ballads etc...in other words a different way to split ?

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought about all of this but I just don't see how browse helps or why you would need so many rigs, regardless of the variety that can't be handled with 5 totally different rigs, 5 additional changes via morph and 8 effects per slot? Anyway, I'm sure you've thought about it.
    This would be even more important with a substitute gig where you just need the basic sounds...

Aanyway good luck dude hope you find a good way to manage this :)

BTW - no set list? Really ? Not even an outline one? Just don't get that...

• That was a lot to answer. I’ll try.
    Browse mode. Faster rig switching than switching between rigs in different performances.

I racked up when the Marshall JMP1 preamp came on the marked. (Ran it with a quadra-verb, and later a gx-700 for verbs, delays etc) So the large majority of my life as a musician i’ve never had to deal with only having instant access to 5 sounds in front of me.
    The very reason i did this was that i was tired of having to push three or four pedals to go from one sound to another. So having to do that again is a step backwards. I hate seeing guitatplayers who do so much footwork that their plaing goes off for several bars. And i hate even more to be one of them. Never again.

Setlist/outlines. Depends. If i get a substitute gig same day as the gig, there is no way i can learn all the songs anyway.

Bands i am a member off on the other hand operate with a pool of songs. Often 80-100 out of which 30-35 can be called at any gig. At any time. I am a member of 4 bands.

And if you have ever played regurlarly at private parties you know that some costumers will ask you to play quieter while others want you to pretend you are playing an arena. So our solution to this is to tweak some songs stylistically. There are many many ways a song like Proud Mary can go. On evening you might be in Steve Lukather mode another you need to be in Mark Knopfler mode. Same song. Same band. Completely different worlds.

But as i said. I can make do with browse mode. So that i’ll do.

Edited 3 times, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• I'm with you, I hate tap dancing, by the time you've found your sound, the solo is half way through :)

I used to run an ADA MP1 with a quadraverb but even with midi I still had it arranged in banks.

The point I was really making, is the time delay worse with a performance loading as browsing past profiles to get to the one you need.... which I think you are saying it was, so fair enough.

I don't envy your bands, must keep you on your toes...my brain couldn't handle that much variation :)

• I also have organized my performances in the way, that I never has to change the performance during one song.
    Still I have troubles to catch the correct button. (up down is for me wrong) and at the other side the rigchange is quicker in the same performance.

I also want not change the Rig (risk to catch the wrong button) - so the solos or effect changes are realized with morph as much as possible.

For me it is now an easy living in that way.