To merge or not to merge?

• ... that is the question ;)

As far I understood its more a more topic of how the profiling is done.
    There could be a difference when you want to use another CAB in your file, but it is not determinated if you will get a worse or better resultat.

I as user did not consider a difference to use a merged or a studio profile till now
    You can not recognize by yourself if the profiler do not give the information.

• 1.)Both will be fine.
    That being said, we have done extensive testing and experimenting and there is a slight difference when doing a merged profile out of a studio plus direct profile.
    The difference is usually imperceivable but in a few rare occasions, it can be quite audible. That's why personally, I prefer to use studio profiles for FRFR and direct profiles for real cabinets - just for the sake of 100% authenticity.

2.)Other than the profile having been properly tagged, there is no other possibility to distinguish between the two.

• 1. If you're using an FRFR, then studio profiles usually sound better because you're incorporating the finished amp/cab profile. The Merged profile solution is primarily for people wanting to use guitar cabs so in essence (after disabling monitor cabs) they're hearing a di profile of just the head into a guitar cab. FRFR cabs are designed to reproduce the full band of frequencies, not just the ones guitar cabs produce, so they are designed to work well with modelers/profilers that already have the cab part baked in.

2. Most of my profiles are Studio profiles unless otherwise noted (mainly the 5150 and heavy packs have merged). I find that even using the studio profiles with the cabs off into a guitar cab sounds good for my purposes but I can see how some people prefer to just use merged ones. I just have a preference for studio ones.

• I have been experimenting with this lately. I don't have any final thoughts yet but what I have noticed is the merged DA profile is not exactly the same as the DA profile of the same. I so far prefer the DA profile to the merged. However it seems I am able to get the studio profile and the merged profile to sound 99% the same.

My thought so far is the best way is to do all 3 parts and use the merged cab with the real DA profile.

Still investigating.

• when you usea frfr cab just go by your ears ... when using a guitar cab adn turn the cab off do not merge or use studio profiles ... imho

• If you are using the complete profile - amplifier plus cabinet - for example to drive full range cabinets, FOH, recording desk, headphones, in-ear, home entertainment, ... it makes no difference at all: the complete Studio Profile and Merged Profile sound exactly the same.

There is only a difference, if you activate "Monitor Cab. Off" to drive a physical guitar speaker cabinet. In this case it's only relevant for the Monitor Output and - if you own a PowerHead or PowerRack - the Speaker Output. The sound on the Main Output or S/PDIF Out is still identical.

When Studio Profile and Direct Profile get merged into a Merged Profile the precision of the boundary between amplifier and cabinet increases. If you use a Merged profile you hear the exact Direct Profile through the physical cab. That one is more accurate. What you like better is a different question.

• I noticed that when you play with a studio profile on a cab it's usually louder than a direct or merged profile.

That can give you a "false" feeling of power but the direct or merged profile is still the best IMO, at least if you want the original amp's sound. If you don't care about that, well, that's your choice, it will sound good anyway. :D

• I agree with most of the above
    In theory, the merged profile should have it all- di + studio...and it does. But there is a slight difference in tone between the original studio version and the ensuing merged profile. So for recording and live to FRFR, I would go studio as it seems to be slightly 'better'
    That being said, I like going with a 2x12 and di to PA, so merged is the best option there. But studio profiles work surprisingly well in this application too...lol, round and round we go!

• In my experience, the Studio and Merged profiles sound exactly the same with Cabs on through studio monitors. I'm not sure why people are getting different results...?

• I'n my experience even the DA profile sounds slightly different than the merged with the cab off.

That may be so, indeed. Turning the Cab off on the front also sounds different than turning them off in the Output section. There’s also a change in Sound with them off in Output and then turning them off on the front. I guess the front button engages CabDriver, whether Cabs are off in the Output section or not.

Edit : I realise that had nothing to do with your remark, Tim! :wacko:

• If you use FRFR the benefit of merged is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile. If you wish to switch cabs it is more accurate with the cab removal. If you switch the cabs in a studio profile you will still have some cab residue from the original profile. That may work out great as people blend speakers all the time. You have to decide what you like and use it. Those are the facts (separation points) the results you achieve will drive your decision. It might change based on the amp and speakers you are wanting to hear.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• 1. If i'm using an FRFR speaker is it better to use a Merged or studio profile?

2. How does one typically recognize a what the profile type is (Studio, Merged)?

I don't see any indication on MBritts profiles.

In this situation (FRFR), either way would work but I would go with studio

• btw I always wondered that doing a direct profile , no skills are required , that everybody can make good DI profiles ?

No need of choosing placing mics etc ...

Does this make sense :)

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Basically this is true. However different users may dial in completely different amp setting which suits their tastes, speakers and the rest of their personal signal chain. This will result in different sounding DI amp profiles which will mix with other cab profiles with very different results. But experimenting is part of the fun.