Saving a Profile in a DAW session for recall

• Does anyone know how to accomplish saving a sysex dump of a profile or equivalent in a DAW?
    I constantly have to rework tracks and need to be able to recall the profile AND all edits I've made to the patch for EACH track.
    With an external synth (Virus C), I just do a patch sysex dump in the countoff of each midi track. It takes two seconds and is always in the session.

This is really frustrating not being able to do this with the Kemper. With over a dozen guitar tracks in a session, it's impossible to keep the patches organized by name alone or using Rig Manager. I just don't understand why I can save patches in Rig Manager but not in a DAW somehow. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

These profiles go to 11!

• save it on rig manager for each songs

remember that a profiler is not a sampler with presets

and its WAY faster than remember 12 amp settings and pedals... on each song

btw we all work fdifferently for instance I use only two tracks of guitar by song
    the rest is keyboard bass drum singer, back vocals and brass

Good night

• I can relate, Guava.

I'm a "synth guy" who's relied on sysex dumps since the late '80s for all outboard MIDI including FX.

GForce's suggestion is employed by some here. Not sure what I'll do when I come to recording again, but my guess is I'll use RM (that's gonna be lots of folders if one uses several Profiles per project, isn't it?), along with a folder I'll create inside the DAW-project folder. It will simply live in the Finder in said folder, but at least it'll be there for when Rigs need to be re-used by dragging them to RM and double-clicking for instant edit-buffer appearance in the KPA.

• These profile files are a size 5k as in kilobytes. I should be able to spit those out midi or usb like every other piece of hardware built after 1970. I usually write the name of the profile in the track notes but that doesn’t take into account any tweaks so I’m having to use the DAW’s effects so at least I know they’ll be in the session which is ridiculous.

Just frustrated because I was in a hurry to meet a deadline and didn’t write down the patch names. And of course this is a project where the client wanted revisions, like every other project. So I had to dig through my pile of profiles trying to match the sound. But my Virus C woke right back up to where I was previously with a Sysex dump and they are made by the same people! Makes me crazy.

These profiles go to 11!

• I feel your pain, brother.

You should have heard the fuss I kicked up when Roland ditched sysex on the TD-30 brain in favour of... you guessed it... a friggin' USB stick. I called them directly and gave them a piece of my mind quite a few times, pressuring them to pass it on to the coders. Nothing happened, and to this day it's the only piece of MIDI gear post-'86 I've ever owned that didn't support sysex.

They almost did the same thing with the INTEGRA-7, but thankfully one can at least dump the current multiset for quick setup later on. IOW, you can dump the 16 patches you've chosen for your project, but not individually, and they all go into the multiset's edit buffer.

Anyway, I can only hope, as you do, that Kemper sees fit to enable Rig dumping via sysex; it'd solve a problem that IMHO we shouldn't have in the first place.

• I read recently that one Kemper can talk to another as a backup somehow but I haven’t been able to find more info. It’s also possible to send cc info to the Kemper from the DAW and the Kemper obviously knows how to send a profile back and forth to Rig Manager. So I think all that’s missing is a Store/Restore Profile via Midi command or USB.

I can’t be the only person using a Kemper on commercials and production music. Even in a band recording situation, being able to recall the settings used to finish a track is invaluable.

These profiles go to 11!

• I'd rather have a VST plugin remote controlling the Kemper though :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I'd rather have a VST plugin remote controlling the Kemper though :)

Sure, but that's asking for a lot. I'm asking for very little and what is a fairly standard feature of any piece of gear with a processor and a midi jack.

Part of this is the growing pain of going from using plugin amps to the Kemper. The tone is a big step forward but the lack of recall is two big steps back.

These profiles go to 11!

• The "problem" with a plugin solution is that the plugin would have to be kept up-to-date with both Windows' and the Mac OS's plugin-protocol changes (VST4, updates to the AU spec, etc.). If you're still using your Kemper in 15 years' time or even longer, would you be confident that projects' Rigs you call up from the past will be able to be recalled? More-obviously, will the plugin specific to this Kemper "model" still run?

What Gauva and I are asking for is a basic, permanent, future-proofed (sysex has been around for 30+ years and isn't going anywhere) solution. I hope I speak for him when I say that all we and hopefully others should "ever" need is the ability to send from the Kemper and receive to its edit buffer a single Rig or Performance. This is how and why we can still use outboard synths and FX from the '80s onwards in our modern DAW's with no fears about full-recall ability. It should be the same for the Kemper, IMHO.

I wouldn't be surprised if any editor created by Kemper used sysex for communication, so if the spec wasn't implemented back in 2011 it might have to be added for the purpose of comprehensive two-way communication with the software, should it ever appear; CC's can only take you so far. Does RM use it?

At any rate, even if a deep implementation of sysex isn't current or never will be, I'd expect that the single Rig-or-Performance dump / receive function would be able to be added with great ease.

• 15 years? :). Let's not over exaggerate. I don't vote against a sysex solution at all. I'm just more keen on the usability of a control plugin.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• PlugIns...

Well the way we works differs with everyone. Personally I record Kemper than after that for mixing purpose I use PLUG INS (all the Waves and so on) to mix the Kemper sound (eq maximise etc) And I save the plug ins

I really dont need to use plug ins to ''control the Kemper''
    I practice a lot but when I press record it means that I want it this way. I will use the plug ins after to fine tune the sound add a little touch.

But I put more energy on drums and vocals than on guitar I must admit... we all work different ways

• 15 years? :). Let's not over exaggerate.

Why wouldn't someone be using his Kemper in 15 years' time, MM?

My shitty master keyboard, refurbed 5 times, is 30 years old and the only keyboard I have. All of my hardware synths are 10 -> 25 years old. Peeps have microphones that're 70 years old, amps that are... you get the idea. Interestingly, my DAW can still load projects from 1984. Digital Performer is not only the oldest audio app I know of on the Mac (or anywhere?), but the only one I'm aware of that can boast full support for projects dating back 34 years.

If you're referring to projects' revival, I have 250 incomplete ones that're 25-and-more years old. If I'd used a Kemper on them, I'd hugely appreciate being able to spit out a blip of sysex before reamping any given track in order to take advantage of modern AD conversion or rework the part in some way.

I don't think what I said in post #9 was an exaggeration at all, let alone an "over exaggeration".

I'm just more keen on the usability of a control plugin.

The problem with a Rig-storage or even a control plugin, which was my first specific reference (even 'though the time measure applies to the sysex-implementation concept as a whole), ask yourself, "How many plugins (apart from Waves, where WUP revenue apparently helps ensure unending support for all plugins) that I bought 15 years or more ago still run flawlessly, if at all?" The Kemper's designed to last a Helluva-lot longer than that.

• I`ve found a little workaaround, but only works in ableton...
    Robrecht from this Forum has built this cool m4l-device Max4Live Kemper controller to automate rig changes in Ableton Live and with ClyphX I can snap the state of this device. So I have 5 Profiles within a Performance, that I can change the Gain, FX states, Morph and Volume, and recall them at any time.
    To recall another Performances is limited since it does not find the other settings when changing the performance...
    Another downside is, it´s not 2-way communication, when I change anything on Profiler (or Toast Me), that does not get reflected and I have to redial the setting in the M4L device...
    But I would also really like a little vst that only saves and recalls kipr files (should be possible, since it´s the main thing Rig Manager does... It´s a bummer I´m not that technically skilled.)

• The other downside is that if you need to recall the Rigs (Performance) at some point in the future, unless you haven't moved or overwritten the Performance with another one, it'll call up the wrong Rigs.

The VST would be cool-for-now, but as I outlined earlier, a sysex solution would be permanent and work in any DAW that supports MIDI, which is practically all of them for the foreseeable future, and also in librarian-type apps such as the free-and-excellent Sysex Librarian for the Mac.

• Exactly. Plugins need to be updated and tested with constantly changing operating systems.
    Sysex is just a quick burp of data that can be recorded into any midi track.

A very common scenario is creating a demo for a project before getting the green light to create the full length track. Just saving the name of the profile doesn’t take into account any changes I might have made to the patch while tracking. Trying to keep Rig Manager organized by project, session and specific track would be a nightmare. It’s hard enough keeping the DAW sessions organized with multiple variations and revisions.

My Virus C has long been discontinued but still sounds amazing and wakes right back up to where I left off by using a Sysex dump of patch data. Burp it and I’m ready to go.

These profiles go to 11!

• Sorry - I wasn't implying not using the Kemper for many years. I just don't see the need to call up a 15 year old session and expect it to load without any issues. That is an exaggeration in my book - but it's just IMHO. Sys ex it is it seems :). I still wish for a VST plugin instead though - something similar to http://wesaudio.com/_hyperion/

• Yes a plug-in editor would be awesome but that’s a different thread.
    I’m just asking for the ability to send and receive Sysex or a .kpr file out the midi ports. It’s a basic function found on almost all hardware synths.

These profiles go to 11!

• It would also be nice if there was the option for sysex send and receiving of a Performance. That way if you're playing along with a sequence, your remote would be automatically loaded for each song.

These profiles go to 11!