Dead sound out of Low E string (In Drop C) when ringing out higher notes.

• This psychoacoustic effect is called auditory masking and it's not a Kemper-specific problem. Most people that have at least some mixing experience know masking from e.g. bass vs. kick drum (same frequency range) but masking also occurs between different frequency ranges ... plus temporal masking which causes the effect you described as ducking effect or "catching up after a second or two".

This masking effect can go either way, for example the higher frequency masker masking the lower frequency content ... or vice versa. It's pretty difficult to reduce this effect unless you find ways to e.g. separate (spread) the high and low frequency content in the stereo field. Alternatively you can also decide which content is more important to you and then e.g. exaggerate the low end content considerably and taming down the high frequency content to some degree.

Either way, it's nothing surprising (at least to me). If you need to "feel" the low end thump, push some more air to make it as physical as audible. :D

• What would you change in the settings to adjust for this?

1. Push more air (a 4x12 definitely has way more thump than 1x12 or 2x12) in case you need it for live gigs. Subs in the PA should take care of that for the audience.

2. What I would do in the studio ... dual amping. Brighter amp on one side, darker amp with low end thump on the other side ... just as an example. Maybe even HiPass the brighter amp and LoPass the darker amp. It's basically just ways/workarounds to reduce the effect. Similar way would be to keep the low end (dark amp) in the center and have a double-tracked brighter amp panned to the sides.

• just a thought but when people say that they experience dull notes or missing notes on Kemper but not on other amps, were both amps placed in the same spot on the room and was the listening position the same in each case? You would be amazed at how massive an effect room acoustics have in a typical home/home studio untreated or poorly treated room. In most cases there will be significant modal issues at low frequencies. These will be excited or damped differently depending on placement. Try this test. Generate a constant signal at the frequencies which are causing the problem (a sustained synth path or a sine wave generator in the DAW) then slowly move around the room and listen to the volume of the note change. I wouldn’t be surprise to find there are locations where certain frequencies could be as much as 30db louder or quieter than normal. If you or the cabinet is in one of these spots the sound is going to be problematic no matter what gear you use. if you listened to two different speakers placed in different spots in the room this would also affect the comparison.

• Could it be just "sympathetic resonance"? I get that on the same area of fretboard no matter what guitar I am using, and any amp or sim amp. It happens when chugging open strings with chords. It aggravates the hell out of me, but you just have to be accurate with palm muting - and "plectrum-thumb" muting.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• All I know is that with Kemper, I hit a chord with the rest of band and it disappears with a quickness. It's NOT my guitar.

Defo about what frequencies you are operating in.

This is why ( hope I'm not being patronising) a guitar sound can sound massive and full on its own, but disappear in a band context. Its another reason why I use very few effects or stereo as I don't need a "wide" sound but a tight sound.

• Reformatted the unit and went back to the beginning with the presets. Much better. Gonna spend some time here for awhile.

I did the same thing but I’m still struggling with the sound. A few metal bands I listen to use kemper and they sound phenomenal but they profile their own amps. I have not profiled an amp yet so maybe that produces the most accurate sound. Maybe profiles are losing something when uploaded to the internet?

• I did the same thing but I’m still struggling with the sound. A few metal bands I listen to use kemper and they sound phenomenal but they profile their own amps. I have not profiled an amp yet so maybe that produces the most accurate sound. Maybe profiles are losing something when uploaded to the internet?

Digital information does not degrade when transferred via Internet (or any other way).

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I did the same thing but I’m still struggling with the sound. A few metal bands I listen to use kemper and they sound phenomenal but they profile their own amps. I have not profiled an amp yet so maybe that produces the most accurate sound. Maybe profiles are losing something when uploaded to the internet?

The difference is unlikely to be that they profile their own amp, but their signal chain.

My new favourite saying....set up is king...

Not every profile will work for one guitar/pickups and for another guitar/pickups it will...well most of the times. If you have active pickups, that are less sensitive, they work for more profiles than passive. And yes as V8guitar says set up is king. That goes especially for guitars. A well set up guitar can almost feel and sound like a new guitar.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• One thing I was disappointed with when I started this was "I'm using the same profile as per the youtube vid and yet I sound nothing like it". I expected the KPA to equalise everything,.

It was then I realised that the nuances count.....the guitar, pickups, monitoring....even the playing. AND I also realised that what I hear from others sounds different when I play it.

I've played through someone less rig and sounded totally different. Some of that is my technique, but also for some reason someone else's sound always sounds different to me. When you focus on playing, I think you lose the ability to disconnect and just listen. My mate sounds great on his Helix. even when I play something similar I hear a very different sound - even beyond the sound your technique imparts.

I never expected to sound like Nuno but I always thought having similar tone and set up, my version of Get the Funk out ( etc.) would be close....nah million miles off :).

All sound engineers know this, as a humble guitarist, I didn't :)

• V8guitar Neil "Spyder" Giraldo once said he tried a guitar and rig from another famous guitarist and thought he could sound just like him. He was disappointed because he said he still sounded like himself. True story. 8)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• V8guitar Neil "Spyder" Giraldo once said he tried a guitar and rig from another famous guitarist and thought he could sound just like him. He was disappointed because he said he still sounded like himself. True story. 8)

Wasn't it Brian May who said it about EVH rig?

Henry David Thoreau

• Another point is how we hear it when othera play a profile vs how we percieve when we play it. We might think it sucks or just sounds mediocre while other will say it sounds good and truly mean it. Let other listen and judge. Sure we must like it. But sometimes it can becuase we gone thru many profiles and eventually they all will sound the same more or less after a while. Always start with fresh ears when trying out new profles. And record and let them be for at least a couple of days. You might find out that profile that was a nay is a yay.

Henry David Thoreau