Kemper Remote not working after walking to a rehearsal in cold weather

• It's -1 degrees celsius outside, I've been outside for maybe 15 minute total walking to and from buses/the subway and when i plugged it in the remote doesn't start up or display anything. Is it permanently broken or does it just need to "thaw"

• Three hours later - is it working now?

After about 24 hours of letting it "thaw" and not plugging it in at all, just letting it rest, it doesn't start, the display doesn't show anything and the backlights don't light up.

• Hey, that's too bad.

Time to contact Kemper Support

Contacted them, they said that this shouldn't happen and to try with a different cable as well as clean the Ethernet ports on the Kemper and remote. Are any standard Ethernet cables compatible? They also said if the problems isn't solved after that, that they'll try to solve the problem in other ways so I'm fairly certain it's covered by warranty. Especially since this is something that, if there's nothing wrong with the cable or ports, should happen.

• Contacted them, they said that this shouldn't happen and to try with a different cable as well as clean the Ethernet ports on the Kemper and remote. Are any standard Ethernet cables compatible? They also said if the problems isn't solved after that, that they'll try to solve the problem in other ways so I'm fairly certain it's covered by warranty. Especially since this is something that, if there's nothing wrong with the cable or ports, should happen.

The connectivity ports can be a little unreliable so I would guess that is the main cause ( certainly hope it is for you).

Also note that the remote boot up seems very late in the kemper boot up process so make sure you give it enough time. I don't see anything on my remote until the Kemper is almost fully booted up..

• Running a computer at -1* can make it perform faster and for a longer time so cold had nothing to do with it unless it got snowed on. Just coincidental. We spray liquid nitrogen on computers to overclock their speeds for fun and competition. I hope you find out the cause and get it fixed!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi there. I have a potential related problem, so want to try cleaning the ethernet port as a starter. Could you please tell me how they suggested cleaning the connectors? Did they suggest using an 'electrical cleaning spray'?

Thanks, Mick.

• The connectivity ports can be a little unreliable so I would guess that is the main cause ( certainly hope it is for you).

Also note that the remote boot up seems very late in the kemper boot up process so make sure you give it enough time. I don't see anything on my remote until the Kemper is almost fully booted up..

I’m curious. Unreliable in what way? They’re RJ45 connectors, which is as standard as it gets.

I’m constantly connecting and disconnecting my Remote cable from both ends for rehearsals and gigs. Minimum 4 connect/disconnect per week. Not a single issue.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I’m curious. Unreliable in what way? They’re RJ45 connectors, which is as standard as it gets.

I’m constantly connecting and disconnecting my Remote cable from both ends for rehearsals and gigs. Minimum 4 connect/disconnect per week. Not a single issue.

I kept my KPA plugged in constanbtly and only used to unplug the remote. I decided to change my cable, unplugged it and now its very loose ( the connector seems to have a weak alloy as its bent ), hence doesn't connect every time. Im not complaining as Ive had it coming up to 8 years but its the only thing I've ever had go wrong.

Kemper will fix or did say a local computer shop could probably sort it.

• It's -1 degrees celsius outside, I've been outside for maybe 15 minute total walking to and from buses/the subway and when i plugged it in the remote doesn't start up or display anything. Is it permanently broken or does it just need to "thaw"

Did it come back to life?
    I really hope it did

• I just woke up and am a little slow but:

If you take something from a warm room to -1 degrees for a period of time, the warm moist air INSIDE the unit will cool. The air will no longer be able hold that much water and things inside may get moist from the high humidity. And once you bring it back into a warm area the warm moist air from the room will start to condense on the the cold unit and its components.

I believe there is some rule about not turning things on for like an hour if they were exposed to the cold. To let the humidity/condensation clear up. Otherwise, you may have all kinds of weird electrical paths on things that do not like having electricity flowing thru them.

Or am I completely nuts?

• Running a computer at -1* can make it perform faster and for a longer time so cold had nothing to do with it unless it got snowed on. Just coincidental. We spray liquid nitrogen on computers to overclock their speeds for fun and competition. I hope you find out the cause and get it fixed!

There are so many things wrong with those comments that I don't know where to start. All electronic devices have operating ranges. Just because one device behaves correctly or better at some temperature doesn't mean they all do. From the manual:

Environmental Requirements

Operating temperature: 5° to 45° C (41° to 113° F)

Non-operating temperature: -20° to 47° C (-4° to 116° F)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing

Maximum altitude: 3000 m (10,000 feet)

By the way, the operating and non-operating temperature ranges are not very wide. This post helped bring my attention to this and will help me keep my unit in the recommended conditions.

I hope your unit comes alive or gets repaired. It is not clear whether the warranty will be honored if the unit is proven to be exposed to temps outside the range.

Edited 2 times, last by lbieber ().

• Perhaps this was just coincidence. As a matter of fact even quality hardware can brake without any further external cause. Putting this in context with the temperature is just speculation.

• Perhaps this was just coincidence. As a matter of fact even quality hardware can brake without any further external cause. Putting this in context with the temperature is just speculation.

Yes and putting it in the context of coincidence is arguably more speculative.

Burkhard, can you answer whether Kemper will honor warranty work for a unit that has been exposed to conditions outside of the environmental requirements?

• Burkhard, can you answer whether Kemper will honor warranty work for a unit that has been exposed to conditions outside of the environmental requirements?

Usually that's not covered under warranties for other items. Not sure why Kemper would be an exception.

• Usually that's not covered under warranties for other items. Not sure why Kemper would be an exception.

Agreed, usually it is not. Burkhard's post states that failures can be coincidence and not always due to temperature. So, we can pontificate about this or we can get an explanation directly from Kemper. Hence the question. How will Kemper decide what caused the failure? What is the warranty policy in this case?

I design ICs and my company would have a very difficult task trying to determine the root cause of a failure in a case such as this.