Making the world a better place

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In deference to Monkey_Man this one has zero processing (beyond a single reverb on master bus, and the Helios Type 69 pre-amp emulation on the inputs of the Apollo for the mics). So no compression, maximizer, limiter, tape, autotune, EQ or anything else. The vocal mic is a very nice Vanguard V13 gen2, not that it can help me, the acoustic mics don't do badly considering the pair cost me $40 (Tascam stick mics).

• Guitar tone is epic ELP! Best acoustic sound bar none so far. I was hoping you would do just this since your voice fits it well. I'd love to hear your version of From the Beginning.

Easy to do zero processing without all those other instruments getting in the way. :P

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks BayouTexan . I saved up and bought the Martin in the end, so that's an instrument worth roughly 100x the microphones it's recorded with :D. Just goes to show, if you throw money and zero talent at a problem is just sort of goes away...

ELP.... Emerson, Lake, Palmer? I think the only track of theirs I know is Lucky Man.

• In deference to Monkey_Man this one has zero processing...

... and the definition, articulation, intelligibility and instrument-focus are all hands-down in a different league from anything you've posted previously IMHO, brother. "Sounds like a record" now. :love:

There can be no greater vindication for what I've been saying all along. I sincerely hope that the experiment was instructive for you brother, and thank you for "humouring" me. :thumbup:

• Here you go. You can do it! Now you know two ELP songs. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Here you go. You can do it! Now you know two ELP songs. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com

Sounds like a Zombies track. I’m gratified in your faith however I’m pretty sure I can’t do that, they can sing and play guitar a lot better than me.

... and the definition, articulation, intelligibility and instrument-focus are all hands-down in a different league from anything you've posted previously IMHO, brother. "Sounds like a record" now. :love:

There can be no greater vindication for what I've been saying all along. I sincerely hope that the experiment was instructive for you brother, and thank you for "humouring" me. :thumbup:

I always do learn something brother monkey_man! I’m not sure what I’ll take from this, probably that it’s more a case of appropriate approaches for the material. The arrangement is sparse and I can’t help feel that’s what really gives it articulation, clarity and focus. The lack of processing works for and against it, if I was a better musician with a better space it might sound like a record, but to me right now it sounds like a rough demo.

• The lack of processing works for and against it, if I was a better musician with a better space it might sound like a record, but to me right now it sounds like a rough demo.

Relatively-speaking 'though, it sounds pristine brother. ;)

BTW I did say, '"Sounds like a record" now'. I used quotation marks to indicate that this was relative to your previous uploads. Of course, I was talking only about the "clarity" of the mix; you've uploaded a tonne of "hittoons" already that sound like records too, but in different ways.

• This sounds fantastic, lovely guitar tone and the vocals/lyrics too Per. I can hear this leading into a full band scenario, really dig that bass note at 1:01 :)

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

Edited once, last by deangersmith ().

• Thank-you deadman42 and deangersmith ! Ah the cathedral organ, wonderful sound I sometimes use it to layer on extra sub bass under real bass when I want things to sound extra meaty. I personally like the bass note at 2:10 which was a finger slip and unintentional but I left it in because it throws in that full chord that suddenly sounds sour like element.

• Great recording, a real 60's cali vibe to it, that martin sounds really great better than the ELP one TBH :)

Lovely background vocals :) Your lead voice sounds great on this too, I have a few boomy vowels on my HS7 , I'm sure you'll take the best of that tube mike soon.

• Thanks waraba I guess there’s only so much a pop filter and 70Hz HPF built into the mic will do. Normally compression would take care of that but this is a zero processing track, just the original plus some overdubs; so some of that will come with the territory.

• They’re Tascam TM PC1’s waraba looking back I was out by ten bucks, I got mine in a sale from sweetwater for $49 for the pair. You will have to find them second hand as they’re no longer available.

They look like SDC stick mics, but are in fact allegedly a stick form LDC. The pad switches on them are cheap tat that if I knew much about how to disassemble I would replace with nicer components, but they’re aluminum bodied and allegedly have a lower noise floor than stuff like the KM 184 ‘s that everyone seems to love on acoustic.

I don’t know if I’d recommend them, I don’t have enough experience of using other mic’s to track acoustic to be able to say whether they’re good or not and unfortunately anything has an uphill struggle as the space I record in is an untreated room with a tiled floor (no idea what the previous owner of this place was thinking with that). But they were phenomenally cheap.