Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Seeing as we're sharing how the projects look now for educational reasons here's how this project looks in Reason with my usual bus group names.

Four incidental guitars, two main guitars (one low gain one high), one main bass track + incidental, drums + Tamborine.

This approach is really what some people call "Additive" production. You keep adding stuff to make it louder and to push back the audience then cut back where you want more intimacy. If you want it to sound more like a band then you approach it more through changing effects and play-style per track, i.e. digging in more for the chorus, pulling back for verses engaging a lead boost for solos etc, and keeping it to the same number of tracks as instruments in the actual band, with a few little incidental elements that a keyboard player could handle if played live.

You can see how the parts have been recorded by the clips where e.g. I've either duplicated a tambourine section that's better and overlayed it or recorded a second section of guitar because I messed up first time. There is no right or wrong way to do stuff only ways that get results.

• I like the explanation of the live band to additive approach. I like to try and keep my mix more authentic to the number of actual musicians but that creates limits which may be undesirable to the end result. And either approach depends on genre. I think of rock, punk, and grunge as being live band mixes whereas Country, pop, and some of today's metal music needing additional layers.

I do know that Def Leppard mixes were heavily layered (or mega-produced) but I have never heard them live, so I wonder how their live sound compares or do they play along with a backing track to get more layering live? So many backstage secrets to learn about.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 3 times, last by BayouTexan ().

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks Monkey_Man I know right? The only thing between me and the success of my first music related paycheck that covers not just the bar tab but also the petrol is talent, ability, commitment, looks, connections and a multimillion dollar marketing budget! I know, getting ahead of myself a bit but exciting times!

Todays random noodle

• Thanks Franjoe30 vocals are the most frustrating part of recording currently, I’ve no idea if that ever gets easier or better but I do know this has a ridiculously over the top signal chain that I need to find a way to cut down.